Another Sensitive Woman Issue

just try adjusting the tilt of the saddle first (given that you can do that). Try tilting the nose of the saddle down a smidge and go for a ride. If you feel a little improvement, try a little bit more to see if you can be even more comfortable or if you've found the "sweet spot". And by adjustments I mean like a few millimeters - just a slight angle. When it comes to bike geometry and physiology....a little bit goes a long way.

So before you do anything else just try to tilt your saddle down a bit. If that doesn't help or your stem doesn't have a tilt adjustment then you might have to find a different saddle. Good luck!

Equus123 said:
just try adjusting the tilt of the saddle first (given that you can do that). Try tilting the nose of the saddle down a smidge and go for a ride. If you feel a little improvement, try a little bit more to see if you can be even more comfortable or if you've found the "sweet spot". And by adjustments I mean like a few millimeters - just a slight angle. When it comes to bike geometry and physiology....a little bit goes a long way.

So before you do anything else just try to tilt your saddle down a bit. If that doesn't help or your stem doesn't have a tilt adjustment then you might have to find a different saddle. Good luck!
Sometimes the the nose of the saddle may be too far down which also can be painful. Best is to begin with the saddle completely level and if that isn't comfortable move the nose up or down until you find it very comfortable. As Equus writes, just a couple millimeters either way till your comfy.:)

my god - i thought i was the only one! i have been in so much agony; it feels like cystitis when i use the toilet after riding. OUCHIES!!!!!!

as well as that, my entire genital region hurts from being squahed down in the saddle. double ouchies!!!

i am wondering if there is anyone here with a similar bike, body and riding style to me to be able to recommend a seat that works for them.

i have a redline cyclocross, and have no hips. the current saddle i have is a woman's one, and from reading today i can see that the inner thigh problem i have is because it is too wide. so i know i need a men's seat. i city ride mainly but ride fast (i like fighting traffic) and ride forward a lot.

any advice / recommendations?

thanks so much ladies.

ouchies said:
my god - i thought i was the only one! i have been in so much agony; it feels like cystitis when i use the toilet after riding. OUCHIES!!!!!!

as well as that, my entire genital region hurts from being squahed down in the saddle. double ouchies!!!

i am wondering if there is anyone here with a similar bike, body and riding style to me to be able to recommend a seat that works for them.

i have a redline cyclocross, and have no hips. the current saddle i have is a woman's one, and from reading today i can see that the inner thigh problem i have is because it is too wide. so i know i need a men's seat. i city ride mainly but ride fast (i like fighting traffic) and ride forward a lot.

thanks so much ladies.
I has similar pain after I bought my road bike. That saddle was like a rock & it hurt. I bought a cheap $30.00 saddle from Nashbar that had a cut out in the center & it works great! I upped my ride time from 26 to 47 miles the first time out on it. I just did not get sore at all until the last 10 miles & then it wasn't that bad. My new saddle is a Women's specific saddle but it is not as wide in the back as most of the other Women's saddles I looked at. The center cutout made a huge difference.

ouchies said:

thanks so much ladies.
wel, I do have hips. 5 children (BIG BABIES) and twins in the mix will do that to you. I WOULD recommend a saddle with a cut out. Many companies make them and they aren't cheap but the difference is like going from some sort of torture device to a lounge chair - no kidding on that! Feel good!

that cut out business does seem like a good idea. i am thinking about the specialized jett saddle. but it is also kinda expensive and am a lowly student, so i don't know about that.

ouchies said:
that cut out business does seem like a good idea. i am thinking about the specialized jett saddle. but it is also kinda expensive and am a lowly student, so i don't know about that.
Try Nashbar.com. They have some affordable saddles. I got the Aireon Women's saddle for $30.00 & it is very comfortable. I didn't want to spend $100.00 on a saddle & then it not work!

I use a Terry Butterfly CrMo saddle. It has a cutout. I love it to death and it's the most comfortable out of 3 saddles I've used this past year. This one is *the one*.
I had a similar unbelievable burning and painful feeling using men's non-cutout saddle and then a women's cutout....the men's put ALL of the pain and pressure and discomfort in "the middle" while I was seated while the cheap women's saddle with a cutout put ALL of the pain and pressure right on the two sides of the middle area where your ligaments are. Both were excruciating for me after only like 40 minutes on the bike and I have a high pain tolerance.

I decided to stop being cheap and pay some money because ****, in the end, I would rather have my saddle be the most expensive thing on my bike because it is the ONLY piece that either makes or breaks you/your ride/your comfort/your happiness. (of course a properly fit bike is implied)

I bought myself the Terry Butterfly CrMo and it's only $60 (USA). It's a cutout. It's really not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. I mean my teammate has a $300 saddle.

I would recommend a Terry saddle. I have never heard one bad review or let alone anything less than "I have a Terry and I love it!!".

[i . . . and have no hips. the current saddle i have is a woman's one, and from reading today i can see that the inner thigh problem i have is because it is too wide. so i know i need a men's seat. i city ride mainly but ride fast (i like fighting traffic) and ride forward a lot.

thanks so much ladies.[/QUOTE]
You might try the Terry Dragonfly. It's narrow (about an inch narrower than the Terry Butterfly, which I find painful because it's too soft and wide enough that my legs hit the back when I pedal and push me onto the skinny front part). The Dragonfly is also hard enough that it supports your sitz bones really well and keeps the rest of your crotch off the saddle altogether.

I have had the same problem with the sore crotch thing. I've been through lots of saddles and finally settled on the Selle Italia Trans Am model. I found that a hole in the middle of the saddle was a requirement for my comfort. I use a Blackwell ISM on my TT bike. It's the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on, but only good for a tt position.

vagabunda said:
I have used a SPECIALIZED "dolce ti" saddle for the last couple of years (once on a 5,500km bike tour) and have had no more problems with soreness. I also tend to be a bit large "down there" and was having problems with padded pants rubbing. Now I can wear whatever I like on my bike (even jeans for in the city) and I'm totally comfortable. I think the secret with this saddle is that it's fairly firm as well as having the cutaway center, so you really sit right on top of it without sinking in and squishing those sensitive bits.
It might depend how wide your bum is though, it's only 150mm across so if you are very broad-ended you maybe should look at a different model.Happy cycling!
I've also experienced this problem and have found if I don't ride regularly the pain is worse. I think I develop a certain amount of resistance when riding regularly.

I also have a specialized body geometry seat that came with my bike. It is firm and slightly cut out in centre and is the most comfortable saddle I have tried.

Funny thing I have noticed is after I visit the waxing salon the first ride is much more comfortable!

i went through a couple of mens saddles which were infinitely better than the rubbish womens one i had, if only because they stopped the backs of my thighs bruising from hitting the saddle.

however, they still weren't right and so i finally shelled out (i'm a student, £60 is a lot for me!) and bought a 130mm specialized jett women's saddle and MY GOD! this thing is amazing! i absolutely adore it. it was strange at first because it is so hard, but what is really interesting is that it forces you to sit properly and in doing that, the only pressure is just where it should be - on the sit bones. i no longer have a scrap of pressure on the soft tissue and riding is a much more enjoyable thing, even for my short 6mile commutes to school and back. my only regret is that i didn't get it sooner.

thanks again everyone!

I just have a standerd guys seat with no special gel bits or cut outs, but i angle it downward so most of my weight is on the buttocks and no rubbing on the front o_O

Works well for me.

My wife and one of our riding group use a Selle SMP (I use a mens miodel as well).

Would recommend them, nil pressure on the genetial area at all.

This seems to be a very complex problem that many in this forum are suffering from. There are several tel tale signs of un-evenness, Labialitis and other possible problem areas. I have corrected this for my wife and others in her riding cohort. I am willing free of fee, after a lengthy ride 50-75 miles to take or examine pictures that you take yourself of the redness and swollen areas (bits and unmentionables) email the pics to me and I will be able to run the pics through a cad program that will identify the problem and swollen numb areas and match them to a specific saddle. Additionally, those that complain about numbness after these rides may want to look into the butterfly, that after several miles will allow for blood recirculation and inproved blood flow and sensitivity to this sensitive unmentionable "whats it" area. I hope this helps those that find themselves in this very complex situation. Please remember that I am available for additional counsel if you find yourself or loved one with a similar problem.

knowinsides said:
I am willing free of fee, after a lengthy ride 50-75 miles to take or examine pictures that you take yourself of the redness and swollen areas (bits and unmentionables)QUOTE]

Well arent you a hero? Leave the ladies forums to the ladies. If you fixed this problem for your wife and her friends you should be able to explain all about but of course you can't because you aren't any expert at all, your just fishing for trouble