Another shaving question - Titanium Electric shaver

BassDave

Jun 30, 2004
I currently have a Remington Microscreen electric shaver and I'm constantly having to put in new screens and cutter [because the screens get holes in them]. Seems to be WAY to frequent for things that cost $20.

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and was looking at some electric shavers that tout the word 'Titanium' on them. I don't doubt they perhaps are, but I was wondering if I will STILL end up having to replace screens or blades on that one too? I didn't see any replacement blades or screens for that model of Remington, but I can't take that as to mean that a replacement WON'T be eventually necessary.

Does anyone have any information to enlighten me on this?

PseudoTrek said:
I currently have a Remington Microscreen electric shaver and I'm constantly having to put in new screens and cutter [because the screens get holes in them]. Seems to be WAY to frequent for things that cost $20.

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and was looking at some electric shavers that tout the word 'Titanium' on them. I don't doubt they perhaps are, but I was wondering if I will STILL end up having to replace screens or blades on that one too? I didn't see any replacement blades or screens for that model of Remington, but I can't take that as to mean that a replacement WON'T be eventually necessary.

Titanium sure is the way to go if you want to save weight and still retain strength.

mitosis said:
Titanium sure is the way to go if you want to save weight and still retain strength.

But do you still have to eventually buy replacement screens and cutters [the idea that Titanium is stronger than steel]? :confused:

PseudoTrek said:
[the idea that Titanium is stronger than steel]
Most titanium alloys don't have nearly the strength and hardness of the steel that goes into shaver blades. It's possible that the blades are steel with a titanium nitride coating, which would certainly increase their life span. More likely it's just a marketing gimick

PseudoTrek said:

Just make sure you get 6Al/4V titanium rather than 3Al/2.5V. 6/4 is stiffer. :p