Another shorts question...

jhigga15

Jun 6, 2006
Hello,
I am wondering how tight cycling shorts should be? I have a black pair of nike XL shorts. Sould the pads be snug to my groin or should there be movement. Since I am new to the tight shorts, here are my 2 reasons why I am asking...

1. I ride about 25 to 32 miles and I get chafing in my important area…I am wondering if this is because my shorts are too loose.

2. I am going to Europe for a the world cup and why I am there I wanted to get some t-mobile gear and I don't want to purchase (or get sold ) the wrong size shorts/bib...

Thanks,

Can't tell ya if XL is too big since I have no clue how big you are. What's your waist size? Keep in mind there are two standards for sizing; US and Euro. A US medium is more like a Euro large so be aware of that before you purchase anything. As far as snuggness, yes they should be tight. If you are new to riding you may think the proper size is too tight and thus go with a too large version. There should be no movement of material, that's the whole point. Oh and make sure you toss the underwear.

jhigga15 said:
I don't havbe underwear, but I do have movement of material...

What's your waist measurement? I have a 33" waist and wear a US Medium and a Euro Large.

Look at how other cyclists wear them. They are supposed to be tight, so no movement and no chaffing.

They should appear to be tight but not feel tight. If you look like you're wearing diapers then it's too loose. If you can count the hair on your butt then it's too tight.

Try using shamois butter or look at bib shorts. Bib shorts are more expensive but in my view much more comfortable.