Another speeding idiot - this time it's the Metropolitan Police'shead of traffic

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
> http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13331123,00.html
>
> There really is no hope, is there?

He'll get off in the same way that Jack Straw and the Derbyshire Police
Chief did with "nothing to do with me m'Lud, it was the chauffeur what
done it". The classic was the Irish Minister of State Noel Treacy who
defended the speed because he had a "professional driver" and then
admitted his driver was acting on his instructions but said "We are
lawmakers, not lawbreakers. I wasn't aware he was breaking the law as
such, and I regret that very much. And, of course, he has paid a penalty
for that and I accept that."

At least the Yorkshire and Manchester Police Chiefs and the then
Solicitor General, Harriet Harman, had the guts to admit to it when caught.

Tony

Tony Raven wrote:

> At least the Yorkshire and Manchester Police Chiefs and the then
> Solicitor General, Harriet Harman, had the guts to admit to it when
> caught.

Yebbut if Harriet Harman was /really/ doing 99 mph (rather than ton-up +
automatic ban) then (insert choice rudery here...)

I have a shell collection, have you seen it? I keep it scattered on the
world's beaches.

Nobody760 wrote:
> There's more:
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_west/4215369.stm

¦ The court heard he had been returning home from a party at
¦ police headquarters in Bridgend on the evening of 23
¦ December, when his car veered off the road and hit a crash
¦ barrier on the A48 bypass just outside Cowbridge in the Vale
¦ of Glamorgan.

Oops.

¦ Clarke, from Flemingston in the Vale of Glamorgan, said he
¦ had swerved to avoid a fox.

Gosh, what a nice man!

¦ On initial questioning he said that he had been sober when
¦ the accident happened but had walked into Cowbridge to try
¦ and make a phone call, where he drunk four pints of beer and
¦ some brandy.

As you do, especially if you are a senior police officer waiting for
your colleagues to turn up.

¦ He later admitted that he was probably already over the
¦ drink drive limit by the time he had left the party.

Probably?

--
Dave...

On 18 Apr 2005 07:23:37 -0700 someone who may be "dkahn400"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>¦ Clarke, from Flemingston in the Vale of Glamorgan, said he
>¦ had swerved to avoid a fox.
>
>Gosh, what a nice man!

I'm surprised he didn't claim to have swerved to avoid a black cat.

>¦ On initial questioning he said that he had been sober when
>¦ the accident happened but had walked into Cowbridge to try
>¦ and make a phone call, where he drunk four pints of beer and
>¦ some brandy.
>
>As you do, especially if you are a senior police officer waiting for
>your colleagues to turn up.

Let's see. He got out of his car, "walked into Cowbridge", "drank
four pints of beer and some brandy", then walked out of Cowbridge
back to his car. I wonder how quickly he drinks that amount of
alcohol, where he drunk it, how long it took the police to arrive at
the crash and who called them? Given that every junior officer seems
to have at least one mobile phone I would be surprised if he doesn't
have one, as well as perhaps some sort of radio in the car. Yet he
"walked into Cowbridge to try and make a phone call". I wonder why.
Did anyone in a pub see him drinking, "four pints of beer and some
brandy", or buying it in a shop?

>¦ He later admitted that he was probably already over the
>¦ drink drive limit by the time he had left the party.
>
>Probably?

Indeed. Remove that word and one probably arrives at the truth.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.