Another standing rib question

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kent, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. Kent

    Kent Guest

    Do any of you have a routine for warming up standing rib that
    works?[maintaning moisture, degree of rare, taste, etc].
    The two of us can only consume a small fraction of a three rib roast. It
    would be nice to have the same dinner all over again, instead of having to
    resort to sandwiches, hot beefs, stroganoff, etc. All of that is a pretty
    dismal way to consume a very expensive cut of beef.
    I have warmed up a standing rib beginning at room temp., in foil, very
    slowly at an oven temp. of 175F to the old rare temp of 120. This works,
    more or less, though obviously quite a lot is lacking.
    Have any of you tried a microwave to do the same thing?? It should work.
    Wrapping it, or covering it with saran, and warming very slowly on the
    defrost power level, after bringing the roast to room temp. should work???
    Has anyone tried this, or any other method.
    Thanks to all,
    Kent

    Tags:

  2. nancree

    nancree Guest

    First of all, slice the beef and allow it to sit out and come to room
    temperature. This will not cause any effects from "cooking". If you
    have any gravy, heat it very hot, and pour over the beef. If not, heat
    it in small increments,covered, in the microwave, let it sit, test the
    temp. I wouldn't put it in the oven--I think you can control it better
    in the microwave.

  3. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Kent wrote:

    > Do any of you have a routine for warming up standing rib that
    > works?[maintaning moisture, degree of rare, taste, etc].
    > The two of us can only consume a small fraction of a three rib roast. It
    > would be nice to have the same dinner all over again, instead of having to
    > resort to sandwiches, hot beefs, stroganoff, etc. All of that is a pretty
    > dismal way to consume a very expensive cut of beef.
    > I have warmed up a standing rib beginning at room temp., in foil, very
    > slowly at an oven temp. of 175F to the old rare temp of 120. This works,
    > more or less, though obviously quite a lot is lacking.
    > Have any of you tried a microwave to do the same thing?? It should work.
    > Wrapping it, or covering it with saran, and warming very slowly on the
    > defrost power level, after bringing the roast to room temp. should work???
    > Has anyone tried this, or any other method.

    If absolutely I want to keep cooking it to a minimum, I
    wrap in lettuce leaves and nuke it until it's just warm
    enough. I find this is the best way to minimize cooking
    but still rewarm it.

    If I'm no so concerned about extra cooking, I gently
    warm it in gravy or jus.

  4. fudge

    fudge Guest

    I have seen restaurants use this method and it works. There is very little
    difference between right out of the oven prime rib and this method. Place a
    normal portion on a microwavable plate with about a tablespoon of water.
    Cover with saran wrap and nuke. I don't know the correct amount of time so
    start low and work up. Give it a try.

    Farmer John

  5. Kent

    Kent Guest

    That's just what I was on the verge of doing when I wrote the post to ask
    for advice.
    For a 4lb, small end, leftover roast how long would you nuc., and at what
    power level? Like almost everyone in this NG, I have to have it pink.
    Thanks
    Kent

    "fudge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have seen restaurants use this method and it works. There is very
    > little difference between right out of the oven prime rib and this method.
    > Place a normal portion on a microwavable plate with about a tablespoon of
    > water. Cover with saran wrap and nuke. I don't know the correct amount of
    > time so start low and work up. Give it a try.
    >
    > Farmer John

  6. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Kent wrote:

    > That's just what I was on the verge of doing when I wrote the post to ask
    > for advice.
    > For a 4lb, small end, leftover roast how long would you nuc., and at what
    > power level? Like almost everyone in this NG, I have to have it pink.
    > Thanks
    > Kent
    >
    > "fudge" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> I have seen restaurants use this method and it works. There is very
    >>little difference between right out of the oven prime rib and this method.
    >>Place a normal portion on a microwavable plate with about a tablespoon of
    >>water. Cover with saran wrap and nuke. I don't know the correct amount of
    >>time so start low and work up. Give it a try.

    Kent, I'd advise that you only attempt this with portion sizes,
    not the whole 4 lb roast at once.