Another stupid question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Dennis, Apr 22, 2003.

  1. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    So you have a box on your rear rack containing puncture repair kit, spanners, spare tube, spare
    chain etc etc etc and you need to park the bike, lock it up and go into a few shops. What do you
    folks do with all this kit? Leave it there to get nicked (my rear box is easily openable)? Bung it
    all in a bag and cart it around with you? Den

    Tags:

  2. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So you have a box on your rear rack containing puncture repair kit, spanners, spare tube, spare
    > chain etc etc etc and you need to park the bike, lock it up and go into a few shops. What do you
    > folks do with all this kit? Leave it there to get nicked (my rear box is easily openable)? Bung it
    > all in a bag and cart it around with you? Den

    I take mine with me, I have a very small under saddle bag which has a quick release fitting.

  3. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So you have a box on your rear rack containing puncture repair kit, spanners, spare tube, spare
    > chain etc etc etc and you need to park the bike, lock it up and go into a few shops. What do you
    > folks do with all this kit? Leave it there to get nicked (my rear box is easily openable)? Bung it
    > all in a bag and cart it around with you?

    It depends.

    If I'm cycling into town (about 2 miles) I normally strip the bike of everything, pocket the front
    light (assuming a dark return) and a CO2 gas cylinder type pump. This allows me to reinflate a slow
    puncture or if some yoof decides to let my tyres down but doesn't cover any other eventualities.
    After that is shank's pony. I used to also carry a spare tube, spanner and tyre levers -- but I now
    reckon that, given the option of repairing in an evening yoof rich environment or walking 1 to 2
    miles the latter is more attractive. The CO2 is probably for the chop soon.

    If I'm going to a friends etc. where I can easily remove the pump and repair stuff (in a seat wedge
    that is easy to unclip) I do.

    If I'm going more than a couple of miles I take the full kit anyway and either leave it on the bike
    or take it with me depending on perceived threat.

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Dennis <[email protected]ufwiedersehen.pet> wrote:
    > So you have a box on your rear rack containing puncture repair kit, spanners, spare tube, spare
    > chain etc etc etc and you need to park the bike, lock it up and go into a few shops. What do you
    > folks do with all this kit? Leave it there to get nicked (my rear box is easily openable)? Bung it
    > all in a bag and cart it around with you? Den

    I usually carry it all in a quick release small seat pack which I take with me along with the
    computer and any lights. If I'm going into town with a rucksack I usually put it all in the rucksack
    from the start.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  5. Ben

    Ben Guest

    I've been tempted just to superglue all my lights and my bike computer in place, and cover the
    threads in glue as well so they don't come off easily. Its such a pain taking stuff off the bike
    each time you stop, but so far I haven't done anything about it ....

    Ben

    > Dennis <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > So you have a box on your rear rack containing puncture repair kit, spanners, spare tube, spare
    > > chain etc etc etc and you need to park the bike, lock it up and go into a few shops. What do you
    > > folks do with all this kit? Leave it there to get nicked (my rear box is
    easily
    > > openable)? Bung it all in a bag and cart it around with you? Den
    >
    > I usually carry it all in a quick release small seat pack which I take
    with
    > me along with the computer and any lights. If I'm going into town with a rucksack I usually put it
    > all in the rucksack from the start.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > --
    > http://www.raven-family.com
    >
    > "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    > adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    > Bernard Shaw

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    In a brief moment of lucidity Dennis scribbled:

    > So you have a box on your rear rack containing puncture repair kit, spanners, spare tube, spare
    > chain etc etc etc and you need to park the bike, lock it up and go into a few shops. What do you
    > folks do with all this kit? Leave it there to get nicked (my rear box is easily openable)? Bung it
    > all in a bag and cart it around with you? Den

    I don't have a box on the back of my bike .. I use a bum bag .. ;)

    Mind, I also don't have a rack and I've never used the bike to go to the shops .. And as the wheels
    and seat post are quick release I need a long chain, or rope lock type thing, to keep them all
    secure .. ;)

    --

    Completed 1600 Seti work units in 12244 hours http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

  7. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > Bung it all in a bag and cart it around with you?

    Yes. After having various accessories stolen over the years, including a dirty old water bottle, I
    know the tealeaves will nick ANYTHING! :-(

    ~PB

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:32:26 GMT, "Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So you have a box on your rear rack containing puncture repair kit, spanners, spare tube, spare
    >chain etc etc etc and you need to park the bike, lock it up and go into a few shops. What do you
    >folks do with all this kit?

    In my case the box is an Ortlieb Bike-Box, so I undo the little strap, slide it off the
    quick-release rack mount, sling the strap over my shoulder, and saunter away nonchalantly :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  9. Ahem, top-quoting is easier for general comprehension. Blimey, that's the first time I've ever made
    that remark, except in work situations with OE obsessed colleagues.

    "Ben" <[email protected]> wrote:

    | I've been tempted just to superglue all my lights and my bike computer in place, and cover the
    | threads in glue as well so they don't come off easily. Its such a pain taking stuff off the bike
    | each time you stop, but so far I haven't done anything about it ....

    I have and it works. I put bolts through the fittings (and replaced the plastic arm for a rear
    Vistalite with a home-made metal one on the seat bolt) and Araldited over all accessible nuts etc.
    That was my second attempt - don't put just one bolt through - I found school kids twisted the
    lights off anyway, leaving it not very useful but, hey, it still glitters.

    | "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    | news:[email protected]...
    | > Dennis <[email protected]> wrote:
    | > > So you have a box on your rear rack containing puncture repair kit, spanners, spare tube,
    | > > spare chain etc etc etc and you need to park the bike, lock it up and go into a few shops.
    | > > What do you folks do with all this kit? Leave it there to get nicked (my rear box is
    | easily
    | > > openable)? Bung it all in a bag and cart it around with you?

    I keep such things in the bottom of my day-bag which I almost always have with me to put things in
    generally. I wouldn't leave anything like that on the bike, but then I'm used to London where it's
    definitely "Moscow rules" (does that date me or what?).

    --
    Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk

  10. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

  11. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 21:04:02 GMT, "Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> In my case the box is an Ortlieb Bike-Box
    >They pay you too much ;)

    No - not nearly enough to compensate for the crap I have to deal with, believe me. On the plus side,
    I can ride to work in 25 minutes max, which is why I have an Ortlieb bike box, being preferable to
    wet shirt / sandwiches / toolkit when it rains ;-)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  12. Al_mossah

    Al_mossah Guest

    I used to carry my tools in a small bag hung under the saddle. Living in Glasgow, I used to remove
    it every time I left the bike anywhere in the city (the bag was nice and small, but took a minute or
    so of fiddling about to put it on and off). Then we moved to Chippenham, a small town in Wiltshire,
    England's lowest-crime-rate county. It didn't look the type of place with a crime problem, so I got
    into the habit of leaving the bag on the bike. Naturally it got nicked one evening.

    I reported the theft to the police on the off-chance that the thieves had discarded it once they'd
    realised that a few Allen keys, a puncture-repair kit, some tyre levers and screwdrivers wasn't
    going to net them a significant amount of cash.

    A couple of weeks later I got a letter from the Victim Support Unit asking me if, as a victim of a
    crime I needed counselling. My reply was along the lines that my trauma could be reduced by hanging
    the thief by his ankles with his head in the Avon. This apparently wasn't what they had in mind.

    I now have scruffy panniers, and leave my tools in an old tennis-ball tube inside them. They haven't
    been nicked for the last three years, although I recognise that I am asking for it!

    Peter.

  13. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > So you have a box on your rear rack containing puncture repair kit, spanners, spare tube, spare
    > chain etc etc etc and you need to park the bike, lock it up and go into a few shops. What do you
    > folks do with all this kit? Leave it there to get nicked (my rear box is easily openable)? Bung it
    > all in a bag and cart it around with you? Den

    I've got it all in a rucksack and it goes with me into the shop.

  14. Dennis <[email protected]> wrote:
    >So you have a box on your rear rack containing puncture repair kit, spanners, spare tube, spare
    >chain etc etc etc and you need to park the bike, lock it up and go into a few shops. What do you
    >folks do with all this kit?

    Mine lives in a back pocket attached to an Ortlieb pannier, which can be dismounted in about 5
    seconds and has a shoulder strap.

    I used to chain my panniers to the bike, but now I leave them loose and only bring both of them if
    I'm going to need them.

  15. Pete White

    Pete White Guest

    "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    <snip>

    Then we moved to Chippenham, a small town in Wiltshire,
    > England's lowest-crime-rate county.

    <snip>

    > Peter.

    Ha ha ha ha!

    Be glad you don't live in westbury, mate! Tea-leaves are the LEAST of the problem there!

    For the benefit of the rest of crime ridden GB, there has been a massive spate of petty arson going
    on in Westbury, and it seems to be slowly spreading to Trowbridge as well. ;)

    I might move...

    Pete White

  16. Guy Chapman

    Guy Chapman Guest

    "al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Then we moved to Chippenham, a small town in Wiltshire, England's lowest-crime-rate county.

    If you run across Bob Chapman, tell him hello from me. He is, as he should be with such a name, my
    uncle - but he is known in the family as Jimmy.