Another TdF Positive

"After the announcement of a positive test to glucocorticoids during the Tour de France, Jimmy Casper responded. "I am asthmatic," said Jimmy Casper to AFP. I have not taken a good boost for me but for my treatment. It is twelve years that I run and I had a TUE with a drug, Syndicort. My previous TUE, which was to expire on May 29, covered that drug. On the last TUE, there has been another product, Bécotide. This product has made positive control."

I would know if it's a small dose or a big dose...

original said:
Après l'annonce d'un contrôle positif aux glucocorticoïdes lors du Tour de France, Jimmy Casper a réagi. « Je suis asthmatique, a indiqué Jimmy Casper à l'AFP. Je n'ai pas pris un produit pour me doper mais pour me soigner. Cela fait douze ans que je cours et que je bénéficie d'une AUT avec un médicament, le Syndicort. Ma précédente AUT, qui arrivait à échéance le 29 mai, portait ce médicament. Sur la suivante, on a porté un autre produit, le Bécotide. C'est ce produit qui a rendu le contrôle positif. »

Malkmus said:
Lots of asthmatics in cycling.
Yes... it must be an advantage in cycling to have difficulty breathing under stress.... since about 40% of the peloton have asthma.

Malkmus said:
Lots of asthmatics in cycling.
No ****!

I am amazed at how many of them have a TUE for that.

I know asthma is more common now, than 10 or more years ago. Either it's due to diagnosing it more or all of the rotten air we breathe (or both). But, regardless, you wish they could nix this excuse in the pelaton.

hawkeye87 said:
No ****!

I am amazed at how many of them have a TUE for that.

I know asthma is more common now, than 10 or more years ago. Either it's due to diagnosing it more or all of the rotten air we breathe (or both). But, regardless, you wish they could nix this excuse in the pelaton.

I think I'm going to get one of those inhalers to assist the daily commute. I reckon I can get it on the NHS too!

mrfrogger said:
I think I'm going to get one of those inhalers to assist the daily commute. I reckon I can get it on the NHS too!
LOL, it will shave about 5 minutes off your commute. Remember Petacchi... :D

Man. Imagine how good you could be if you had emphysema? Probably could pull off a Tour/Giro double.

Crankyfeet said:
Yes... it must be an advantage in cycling to have difficulty breathing under stress.... since about 40% of the peloton have asthma.
I remember in grade school there would be those 1 or 2 kids out of the entire class who would have that L-shaped inhaler. It seemed like only about 2% max of the kids had this issue. But I could be wrong and it might be a large percentage. Seems like they all became professional cyclists.

jojoma said:
I remember in grade school there would be those 1 or 2 kids out of the entire class who would have that L-shaped inhaler. It seemed like only about 2% max of the kids had this issue. But I could be wrong and it might be a large percentage. Seems like they all became professional cyclists.

This must be true. I remember those inhaler-kids, too. They all looked kind of lanky and scrawny just as this guy:

Malkmus said:
Man. Imagine how good you could be if you had emphysema? Probably could pull off a Tour/Giro double.
Tuberculosis would be just plain cheating.

I have asthma, though its gotten much better since junior high, and I can say that an inhaler can be a very positive thing for a cyclist IF....

1. the rider actually has asthma
2. asthma is actually the cause of the difficulty being experienced

Now, I've never used the inhaler when I didn't need it, but if Casper fits the above qualifications, he would experience a severe disadvantage during even a training ride if he were to have problems with it. However, I now only need it about 3 weeks out of the year, and it wouldn't surprise me if others took full advantage of an exemption that is truly necessary for some. I'm not sure if Petacchi made an honest mistake or if he took the same liberties that Casper is accused of, but I think he said he may have taken one extra puff during a race which I can easily see being an innocent act when your already wheezing on a 3% incline.

Basically, my point is that I will hold my judgments about Casper until further proof is provided. He seems to have a credible story, but past cases with other riders still shed doubt.

jojoma said:
You had 100 kids in your class? :confused:

Probably about 20% of the kids in the preschool where I taught had inhalers...seriously, a couple per class...of 10.