Another thread about locking a bike

Bill Henry

Guest
Brian Walker wrote:

> I heard that these locks were to be recalled, but I still see the same
> looking ones on the shelves and being sold. After reading the suggestions
> from others, I'm getting the idea that maybe they have been improved or
> something. Does anyone know for sure? I'd like to know that there's more
> security to my $1500 bike than a $15 lock that can be opened by a $.10 Bic
> pen.
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/money/2004-09-16-bike-lock_x.htm
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kryptonite_lock
> http://www.bikeforums.net/video/ <- Has some nice videos showing others
> opening these locks.

Most of the new U-locks being manufactured nowadays have a smaller
opening for the key, and use a flat design that is resistant to picks.

This was quite an embarassment for Kryptonite since they're real product
is security and peace of mind. Other lock companies like OnGuard seemed
to jump on it and have increased their market share. Kryptonite has
issued recalls and if you have one of the older ones, you may be able to
exchange it for a new model.

I was considering what lock to buy for my bike last year and ran across an
article in the Bicycle magazine (I believe it was August edition) where they
were testing locks. They reported that the locks that are secured with those
vending machine looking key/locks are able to be opened using a Bic ink pen.
They described the process and wrote the article as a warning to people
buying those locks.

After reading it, I simply had to try to see if it was as simple as they
said. Sure enough, I went into a local store which carried the Kryptonite
brand U-lock and with my Bic pen in hand, I tore off the endcap and bent the
end to fit. I twisted the lock and "pop" it came open.