Another [tongue in cheek] helmet post

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Cully_J, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. Cully_J

    Cully_J Guest

    Hello all,

    I've heard of research that come to the conclusion that wearing a helmet
    actually increases your chances of getting injured.

    "Why's that?" you ask.

    Well, it turns out that wearing a helmet actually makes people feel falsely
    secure. And these people take more risks. And since they take more risks,
    they're more likely to get a cycling injury.

    Happy Helmetless Riding,
    Cully
    http://comatimes.blogspot.com/

    Tags:

  2. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Cully_J wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've heard of research that come to the conclusion that wearing a helmet
    > actually increases your chances of getting injured.

    By the non-helmet crowd, no doubt!

    > "Why's that?" you ask.

    How's that?

    > Well, it turns out that wearing a helmet actually makes people feel falsely
    > secure. And these people take more risks. And since they take more risks,
    > they're more likely to get a cycling injury.

    Cycling doesn't injure people. Physics injure people.

    > Happy Helmetless Riding,
    > Cully
    > http://comatimes.blogspot.com/

    I still feel guilty about it.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, NYC
    XYZ ([email protected]) wrote:

    > Cully_J wrote:
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I've heard of research that come to the conclusion that wearing a helmet
    > > actually increases your chances of getting injured.

    > By the non-helmet crowd, no doubt!
    >
    > > "Why's that?" you ask.

    > How's that?

    It's called "Risk compensation" and there is a wealth of information
    about it upon any nearby Internet.

    We had that Maurits C. Escher in to do some building work once. I
    haven't been able to leave the house since.