another tragic loss

monsterman

New Member
Apr 23, 2005
Road tragedy claims promising young Australian cyclist

Scott Peoples
Photo ©: Kevin Chang

Emerging Australian junior cyclist Scott Peoples from Shepparton, Victoria, has died in a tragic road accident while training on the Maroondah highway near Melbourne, reports stuff.co.nz.

The 19 year-old Victorian, a recent double-stage winner at last month's Tour of Southland stage race in New Zealand, was reported to have been struck from behind by a Nissan Patrol four-wheel drive vehicle, and died later at the scene. The male driver, whose name has not been identified, was taken to hospital suffering from shock.

Victorian race promoter and Cyclingnews correspondent, John Trevorrow, said Peoples was "One of our brightest young stars" and "destined for greatness".

"He rode a good Sun Tour, then finished third overall in Tour of Tasmania (a tough, hilly race won by riders such as Cadel Evans) and won two stages in NZ. Brett Lancaster (established Australian pro rider) was just telling me he was organising a pro contact for the youngster."

Cyclingnews extends its condolences to the Peoples family.

The entire community up there, not forgetting Scott's brother, family and the Furphy cycling team must be feeling absolutely wretched. My thoughts are with them at this terrible time :(

Pray for the dead, fight like hell for the living - Mother Jones

fyi - statement from Wheels of Justice.

******

We are saddened at the loss of Scott Peoples of Shepparton who died on
Friday 15th December, after a tragic incident on the Maroondah Highway at
Merton, Victoria when struck from behind by a 4WD during a training ride.

Wheels of Justice extend our deepest sympathies to Scott's family and the
close knit Shepparton community. Scott who recently turned 20, will be
sadly missed by all who knew him and very much so by members of the
Trans-Tasman cycling community where Scott had in recent times become so
well known for his gritty performances and tough competitive spirit, along
with a gentle humility and great decency.

Scott Peoples won two stages of the recent Tour of Southland in New
Zealand, and coming third in the 2006 Tour of Tasmania Scott had a
promising future in competitive cycling being recently signed to a
scholarship with the Victorian Institute of Sport.

Our thoughts are with Scott's family and close friends at this time. We
will accept expressions of sympathy on the WoJ site to be passed on to
Scott's family at an appropriate time.

--
___________________________________

Wheels of Justice
Education :: Enforcement :: Accountability
http://www.woj.com.au
___________________________________

Do Nissan Patrol's still come with a bullbar as standard fitment???

Some Euro car makers are making pedestrian safety a bigger priority.

Its about time they started putting pedestrian safety into the design rules,
just as they have for car passenger safety.

"monsterman" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

Katharine & Paul wrote:
> "monsterman" <[email protected]> wrote

>> ROAD TRAGEDY CLAIMS PROMISING YOUNG AUSTRALIAN CYCLIST

> Do Nissan Patrol's still come with a bullbar as standard fitment???

No, did you see one mentioned in the article?

> Some Euro car makers are making pedestrian safety a bigger priority.

> Its about time they started putting pedestrian safety into the design
> rules, just as they have for car passenger safety.

Errrr, they do.

Theo

> No, did you see one mentioned in the article?
>
>> Some Euro car makers are making pedestrian safety a bigger priority.

>> Its about time they started putting pedestrian safety into the design
>> rules, just as they have for car passenger safety.

> Errrr, they do.

Tell me what they do?

And tell me how it is applied to vehicles with high bonnet lines, which are
a much bigger danger to pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists?

> Theo

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 20:35:19 +1000
Katharine & Paul <[email protected]> wrote:

>> No, did you see one mentioned in the article?
>>
>>> Some Euro car makers are making pedestrian safety a bigger priority.

>>> Its about time they started putting pedestrian safety into the design
>>> rules, just as they have for car passenger safety.

>> Errrr, they do.

> Tell me what they do?

Small things like bonnet mascots. larger things like requirements for
passenger cars (and I think 4WDs get around this by not being
"passenger cars") to have sloping bonnets and non-protruding bumpers.

Contrast the front of a 1970s car with a 1990/2000s one. It's not all
about streamlining, a lot of it is design rules.

Zebee

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> Katharine & Paul wrote:
>> Theo wrote

>>> Errrr, they do.

>> Tell me what they do?

> Small things like bonnet mascots. larger things like requirements for
> passenger cars (and I think 4WDs get around this by not being
> "passenger cars") to have sloping bonnets and non-protruding bumpers.
>
> Contrast the front of a 1970s car with a 1990/2000s one. It's not all
> about streamlining, a lot of it is design rules.

What Zebee said. I was pointing out that "Katherine & Paul" were making a
statement from ignorance.
One of the biggest design changes in cars relating to pedestrians is that
leading edges of cars are required to deflect peds over the top rather than
under. The main argument against roo bars (and rightly so) is that they are
designed to push the roo under the vehicle.
Leading edges of bonnets also have to be less angular and 'softer'.
"Fish-hook" bonnet emblems are banned. Switzerland banned the Rolls-Royce
mascot. Check out Mercedes Benz bonnet mascot, they are on a spring so that
they fold flat when impacted. In the case of the Benz, it wasn't a design
rule that dictated that, they've been that way since the late '50s. But now
they are sloped rearwards rather than vertical.

Theo

Now tell me how the front of a NIssan Patrol is designed.

If there is a loophole for 4wd's, then surely that needs to be closed.

The bonnets of some dont look too sloping to me.

news:[email protected]...

Katharine & Paul wrote:

> Now tell me how the front of a NIssan Patrol is designed.
>
> If there is a loophole for 4wd's, then surely that needs to be closed.
>
> The bonnets of some dont look too sloping to me.

Have a look at the bonnet of an EH Holden, or, for a truly cutting design,
the HD with it's knife edge headlight shrouds.
I don't know. Perhaps you could consult the Australian Design Standards. You
know, those one for pedestrian safety designed cars that you were saying
didn't exist.

I a not a car designer nor do I know what the design rules specify. I do
know they exist. Whether they are adequate is another question.

Cheers

Theo

You may of noticed the condolences being received on the WoJ site for Scott Peoples. I am collating them and they will be passed on at the funeral this Friday in Shepparton.

http://www.woj.com.au/2006/12/18/wheels-of-justice-scott-peoples/

http://www.woj.com.au/2006/12/17/vic-cyclist-scott-peoples-killed-in-training-accident/

If you would like to add to these condolences, please email me. I'd also ask if you could send these by mid-afternoon tomorrow (21/12), ie: by 2-3 pm so they can be included.