Another "Visit the Tour" Request

Tom I

Guest
I will be in France the last three days of the Tour. I understand that the organizers don't release
the exact Tour routes until the last week or so preceding the start. Does anyone know where I can
get that information, and when it would be released?

Also, to anyone who has been there -- suppose I would want to sit by the side of the road and watch
the Tour go by; perhaps stake out a sidewalk in a small town. How much earlier does the pre-race
"parade" come through ahead of the peloton? I am trying to get a feel for how early I have to plant
myself and my family by the side of the road.

Thank you! Tom

Hi Here is the link to the time schedule of the tour.
http://www.letour.fr/2003/presentationus/parcours_iti_00.html

If the link is broken, just go the the tour d'France site and look under the route for the time
schedule. Maybe I'll see you in Paris. Gordon

Tom I <[email protected]> wrote:
> Also, to anyone who has been there -- suppose I would want to sit by the side of the road and
> watch the Tour go by; perhaps stake out a sidewalk in a small town. How much earlier does the
> pre-race "parade" come through ahead of the peloton? I am trying to get a feel for how early I
> have to plant myself and my family by the side of the road.

The Tour web page has a time schedule up that also lists the caravane schedule. They shoot for an
hour ahead of the race.

I'd recommend the TT in Nantes. There will be activity going on for an extended length of time and
you will get to see and cheer for each rider. If you have a newspaper from the day before you can
check riders off as they go by and always know who is coming up the road. Bring some food and a
bottle of wine and you have a very pleasant way to pass the day.

Bob Schwartz [email protected]

Tom I <[email protected]> wrote:

> Also, to anyone who has been there -- suppose I would want to sit by the side of the road and
> watch the Tour go by; perhaps stake out a sidewalk in a small town. How much earlier does the
> pre-race "parade" come through ahead of the peloton? I am trying to get a feel for how early I
> have to plant myself and my family by the side of the road.

Plan on being there at least 4 hours before it's scheduled to pass, earlier if you want prime
viewing. My web site (clydesoles.com) has an article on viewing the Tour (Photos > Assorted > TDF)
that may help.

[email protected] (Clyde) posted:

> Tom I <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Also, to anyone who has been there -- suppose I would want to sit by the side of the road and
>> watch the Tour go by; perhaps stake out a sidewalk in a small town. How much earlier does the
>> pre-race "parade" come through ahead of the peloton? I am trying to get a feel for how early I
>> have to plant myself and my family by the side of the road.
>
> Plan on being there at least 4 hours before it's scheduled to pass, earlier if you want prime
> viewing. My web site (clydesoles.com) has an article on viewing the Tour (Photos > Assorted > TDF)
> that may help.

It depends on where you want to be. At Mt. Ventoux, car parking 10 km below the peak filled up 6
hours before the race. By the fields in flat places there's no rush. Ventoux was much more exciting!
Others have pointed to the time schedule - the caravan is on the schedule.

For my report and pictures on viewing at Mt Ventoux in 2000, see
http://buten.net/max/France/TdeF/TdeF.htm

- Max

--
MisterMax Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, Maui, Malaysia, Morocco, Sicily (new), St Tropez,
Thailand, Tour de France: http://buten.net/max/ (Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of my email address. The