Another weather rant - It's brutal here and it is interfering with my riding.

MotownBikeBoy

Nov 24, 2012
I'm pretty tough and well-equipped to deal with reasonable cold. 20's or even teens are fine, high single digits if there isn't much wind. But, we are having extreme cold - record setting in fact, Lows from -10 to -20 F, highs only reaching 0 to 5, and wind, an ever-present wind taking the wind chills down to -30 or worse. It really is brutal.

And, then there is the snow - storm after storm, some dropping 2 or 3 inches, some 8, 10, 12, 14 - record snowfall for January, over 32 inches and counting. February will be off to a bad start, they are predicting a "whopper" of a blizzard this weekend, in the words of a local TV weatherman.

This was going to be my winter to really embrace the Surly and get out there and still ride. And to work on developing my skills at backcountry skiing and snowshoeing. But, I just can't do it, it is literally dangerous, even if I can prevent frostbite and hypothermia, the extreme cold air is not good on my cardio-pulmonary system.

I just wanna ride.

My concerns are really petty compared to what I see on the local news - the homeless, the poor, seniors, pets all facing dangerous conditions. Fires from space heaters and make-shift heating killing people too poor to pay for utilities, or worse, living in slum housing with landlords that won't maintain properties so broken furnaces. Pets left outside by callous owners, dying in the cold. It's very sad.

Rant over. No one can do anything about weather, except maybe say a prayer that it moderates.,

Reactions: steve
Originally Posted by Nigel Doyle
Beautiful summer's day down here in New Zealand. Just done a 38km recovery ride in the sun. Time for a beer :)
Bugger
tongue.png

Surf's up!

Got a road ride in this afternoon...the first since January 16th! It got up to 28° here and the roads are almost free of slush and ice, although the road grit is so thick you can easily slide out on it and the passing cars kick up a salt cloud so thick you can taste it. Ohio has been grounded by the Impending Ice Age. Snow storm after snow storm, high winds, ice, freezing rain...bah!

Guess what's in store for tomorrow? 4" to 12" of snow (precise forecast, huh?!) overnight with more snow tomorrow and another snow storm on Sunday. Lows will be in the single digits all week!

Quote by Lim:
"Bugger"

Yeah. That describes our weather...

Our weather has been the exact same as MBB's. He's three hours away by car, but only and hour due North of here.

Meh...I'm going to drop the next guy that whines about Global Warmingâ„¢.

The Midwest and a lot of other areas are getting lots of snow, making it hard for a few of my cyclist friends. The ice is probably the part most riders hate. Now riding in the cold, that's not something I mind. When it comes to the snow and ice, I take more caution. If it's below freezing, I probably would just bundle up. When you can't bike, what do you guys enjoy doing, just curious? If the weather gets too bad and I can't go out, I just get antsy!
impatient.png
No other exercise or hobby really compares.

Fuuuuuuuuuccckkk! 8" came down in two hours last night. First came the ice. Then the snow. Lastly, a nice crust of ice on top!

My big truck dragged the axles all the way to the coffee shop. I stopped to help get an S10 2-wheel drive pickup that slid into the ditch back onto the road and going again. Always carry flashlights, flares, chains, tow/recovery straps and a snow shovel. If you drive a truck or have a truck that will stow it, sand and salt.

Now it's dropping a freezing rain in 26° air temperature and that will change back into snow later this morning. The wind is slow right now at only 15 MPH for a not-so-bad wind chill of 14°.

8° for a low tonight.

The next major snow is set for Sunday.

confused.png
No more road cycling this week...

Skiing has been great this year. Don't know what all the gripping is about. Get out and makes some turns.

This ain't powder. It's ice laminate snow.

Here's snow cams from a couple of our resorts this morning.

You see anyone chiseling through the ice to find snow? Eh...the snow bunnies will be out later today.

Maybe I'll try XC in the bare bean field across the road. Every time I fall on that dirt that's frozen harder than D2 die steel I will curse your name!

No such thing as ice, it's just powder with an attitude.
This is me and as you will note perfect form.

Daylight between the knees! No aero tuck! On the bunny slope! My back yard is steeper! Knees too shot for the moguls!

Good for ya, JH! Better to use the weather for fun than ***** about it.

The freezing rain stopped here and the radar is clear right now...don't see the 1"-3" or 2" to 4" anywhere on the screen even though the news is still calling for it. The roads are a mess, but I expect Boston Mills and Brandywine will have busy slopes this afternoon. All the schools called off for the 15th or 16th time this winter. I've lost track, to be honest.

I just did a refresh on the three slope cams. There's a few 'powder with an attitude' believers on one of the hills:

We got about 6 inches of fresh snow. We have at least 3 feet on the ground, and it's getting tough getting around parking lots, etc, because there is no place to put it. Another blast of Arctic air follows this system, highs in the teens, lows around zero for the next 4-5 days.

You may have a point on the knees but steepness is always deceptive in photos. Who skis with their knees and legs together in the last 40 years? Stein Erickson maybe?

No hill is steep unless I'm on it! Then it's black diamond/*****'s catagory stuff.

Nah, you look good. I want my old, not-yet-rebuilt- knees as pain free as possible in my golden years, so now I don't do d-hill or motocross much. When the old coots go riding they're all popping aspirin or stronger stuff for their knees. I just throw a leg over and go.

One of my buds had both knees done last winter (moto-x killed them in his mis-spent youth) and he's a d-hill junkie. He avoids the moguls, but I don't even have to call him...I know he's on the slopes today. The dude used to be one hellova crit dog and he won the club championship road race one year way back in the '80's. Now...I'm trying to coax him back on a bike.

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
No hill is steep unless I'm on it! Then it's black diamond/*****'s catagory stuff.

Nah, you look good. I want my old, not-yet-rebuilt- knees as pain free as possible in my golden years, so now I don't do d-hill or motocross much. When the old coots go riding they're all popping aspirin or stronger stuff for their knees. I just throw a leg over and go.

One of my buds had both knees done last winter (moto-x killed them in his mis-spent youth) and he's a d-hill junkie. He avoids the moguls, but I don't even have to call him...I know he's on the slopes today. The dude used to be one hellova crit dog and he won the club championship road race one year way back in the '80's. Now...I'm trying to coax him back on a bike.

Thanks, I am not as hot as I used to be but I still get attention when I am on the hill. This is the way it use to be.

Cute girl: "I noticed you and I been hoping to get a chance to ride up the chairlift with you".
Me: Really, great what you doing later"? Wanna go to the bar for a drink? Flash forward to present day.
Some ugly dude riding up with me:" You move pretty good for an old guy".
Me: Well, I take a lot of Ibuprophen".

I made some of my best scores without leaving the lodge.

I can believe the Ibuprofen. Wild snow bunny sex takes its toll over the years. All those amazing leaps off the armoire really messed up my back.

Real time night skiing on ice at Boston Mills:

Current air temp is 22° and will drop to 1° by morning. Friday morning's low is forecast to be zero. Saturday morning 7°. Sunday morning 9° with another Alberta Clipper rolling through.

Yes sir. It sure is great skiing weather.

At this rate I still have time to make the Sochi Olympics in skeleton.

Wild snow bunny sex????? Now I really do regret not trying downhill when I was a teenaged lad.