Another which bike Q - Cervelo/Pinarello/Colnago

PhatG

Aug 8, 2006
My first post so please be kind, we have been here before...I have narrowed my bike choices to the following:

1. Cervelo Soloist
2. Pinarello Galileo
3. Colnago Arte

I have tested too many & now ready to bite the bullet. Sure the Treks/Giants are great bang for bucks - but these make me want to ride.

All the above will be running Ultegra, for once my local LBS has my size & colour choice! & the $$$ are about the same.

I have 3 years before 40! Wanna look good.

What I would like to here is:
1. Real world experience
2. Pro(s) & Con(s)
3. If you got one, would you now have gotten the other?
4. If you have had all 3 or 2 of the above, which one get's more sadle time

Thank you in advance for taking the time

I recently bought an '06 team soloist w/ ultegra 10 components:
here's a little picture- not that you asked- but I love showing off this bike ;)

I can't compare this to the other two on your list, but I can say that I fully concur with your notion of choosing a bike that, after fit, really inspires you to ride. That was ultimately what locked in my decision to buy the cervelo. just looking at the thing in my apartment makes me want to get out and hit the pavement... and the best part is that it rides better than it looks. The bike totally gives back whatever you throw at it... there doesn't seem to be any wasted effort- the power transfers right to the wheels and it really is something to get out of the seat and take off. On the small downhill sections I've been on with it, it's like a dart--now, like I've said I'm pretty new at this, and the fastest I've gone on the bike is around 33 mph, but I have all the confidence in the world on it and I'm encouraged to push myself even further because of that.

the only downside seems to echo what others have said about this particular bike... the seat can be difficult to adjust and due to the stiffness of the bike and thanks to the aluminum frame the ride can be a bit jarring at times- certainly compared to any new composite or carbon rides, but I imagine it's no more jarring than other full aluminum frames.

I can't imagine you'd be let down by any of these bikes, but that's my two cents for what it's worth.

Thank you all for your feedback/response.

Deciding factor in a twisted way was to find a LBS that either stocked all of the above or 2 or within close proximity so that I could compare back to back etc.

I did find a LBS that had both the Cervelo & Pinarello &b another LBS close by that had Colnago & a few other brands I had not considered (BH & Cinelli)...

As it was I fell in lust with the Cinelli range! Got talking with the LBS, narrowed my budget option down to either the Cinelli Aliante & Estrada - nice looking, similar running gear, within budget... But none in my size due to end of season & introduction of new shipment...

But the LBS then suggested for a little bit more we could try theCinelli Mecano (full Columbus Carbon tubing) with Ultegra group set (currently with Dura-Ace, but way beyond my budget) & either Shimano Ultegra wheels or Vuelta wheels for AUD4000!!! (helps when stocks are limited & they need to make room for new stock & they have your size).

This is more bike than I would appreciate for now, but it was beautiful & fitted/rode well. & a piece of machinery that would INSPIRE me to be a worthy contender.

FYI I have not ridden in 10 years & have recently got back into it riding a Scott Sub10 (flat bar road bike) to get the feel back before getting a proper ride & use the Scott as town commuter. I plan to ride 30-40km 3-4 times a week.

So this week I will be the PROUD owner of a Cinelli Mecano (still agonising at the moment to go the full Italian experience & get the Campagnola Record Gruppo with Campagnola Zonda wheel set... Oh help me GOD)...

Oh, I couldn't help my self so I specified white seat & bar tape to go with my new pair of Italian slippers (Sidi Genius 5.5 HT)...

congratulations on the purchase- ride it well!

send a pic when it's complete