Another Which Trainer to Buy Thread in AUS

Burble

Jun 7, 2006
Hey all,
I'm trainer shopping at the moment, and after a lot of research (including searching these forums) I'm still a bit stumped.

I'm basically tossing up between a
KURT KINETIC ROAD MACHINE ($$$) and a MINOURA HYPERMAG-ALU WITH REMOTE (SILVER)

The benefits of the Minoura HyperMag are that it is a rim drive so it saves killing tyres, but doesn't offer the same high resistance levels of the kinetic (which is fluid and no resistance levels).

The kurt, also appears to be more sturdy, with powertap calibrated powerlevels, but what i'm really concerned on is tyre wear. I'd rather not have two wheels - one for the trainer and one for the road if i could avoid it.

The kinetic on the other hand everyone seems to love - there is a LOT of positive reviews around - unlike the Minoura (which has hardly any)

Can anyone give their views help me decide I'm seriously banging my head against the desk trying to work out which to get? I keep going from one to the other.

Also I'm in aus (melbourne to be exact), and looking for a place I can get the road machine the cheep, has anyone bought one if so can you reccommend a place? (I konw a few that stock the minoura range - so its not a problem)?

Not sure what your goal is, but if you are a racer (road) or tri person, you might want to consider rollers instead.

They take a bit of getting used to, but give you the feel of really riding, as opposed to being on a rigid exercise-bike type of machine. Great for finessing your pedalling style, and for overall position and balance, especially at higher cadences.

Try them if you can, if no luck in shops etc contact me off-forum and maybe you can come over and try mine.

Good luck.

wongaga said:
Not sure what your goal is, but if you are a racer (road) or tri person, you might want to consider rollers instead.

They take a bit of getting used to, but give you the feel of really riding, as opposed to being on a rigid exercise-bike type of machine. Great for finessing your pedalling style, and for overall position and balance, especially at higher cadences.

Try them if you can, if no luck in shops etc contact me off-forum and maybe you can come over and try mine.

Good luck.

Thankyou very much for the offer - i really appreciate it. My current goal is to increase power, and I went to a few bike shops today, and had a look what was on offer. First bike shop i went to suggested rollers were the way to go, second bike shop said both - for different purposes - trainer for strength, rollers for pedalling style.

In the end the thing that won me over (i bought a kurt kinetic road machine) was that with rollers I could not read or multitask easily (well safely). I have a lot of TV episodes and movies to watch - and will do so while training, or If i have to do reading I'll do that insted.

I'll prolly end up getting rollers too at some point... god these thigns cost a fortune :(

got an awesome price on the Road Machine too, basically the same as ordering one from the USA. :D

Yep you are spot on about watching telly etc - I had the odd tumble in the garage when I got a bit too engrossed in the shows. I ended up putting a couple of sticks in front of me as guides, which were in my field of vision as I watched the box.

Happy spinning

Hey Burble,

I've also been looking into trainers and was having the same conundrum.

How much was the Kurt Kinetc Road Machine in the end?

Cheers
Ant

WrxAnt said:
Hey Burble,

I've also been looking into trainers and was having the same conundrum.

How much was the Kurt Kinetc Road Machine in the end?

Cheers
Ant
$500 AUD

to import one from the states comes to about $494AUD - so i preferred to get it from a local shop.

Hey Burble thats a good price.

Mind me ask where abouts you got it from?

Lots of places seem to be saying RRP $599 is their best price.

Did you get the power meter computer as well. I'm considering getting one of those as well.

Cheers
Ant

didn't get the power meter, (its optional).

Borsari Cycles in Lygon St - bought from Fabian. :)