Anquet v Memory map

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Steve Tipper, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Steve Tipper

    Steve Tipper Guest

    Hi NG

    I know this must have been asked (I have done a search on
    google but only a couple of threads)

    Which is the best one at the moment. I want to printt maps
    and upload to my garmin etrex.

    Also where is the cheapest to buy from ?

    Thanks in advance Steve

    Tags:

  2. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:47:54 -0000, "Steve Tipper"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Which is the best one at the moment. I want to printt maps
    >and upload to my garmin etrex.

    My personal conclusions from asking this question a cuppla
    weeks ago are;

    1. Fugawi
    2. Memory Map
    3. Anquet

    1 & 2 handle GPS data well (designed for), 1 is
    [considerably] cheaper than 2. 3's GPS tools are rudimentary
    in comparison.

    >Also where is the cheapest to buy from ?

    Online, from Fugawi (priced in USD)

    SteveO

    NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
    http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

    NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

  3. Nick Hopton

    Nick Hopton Guest

    In a recent message
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected]?.?.invalid wrote.

    >>Which is the best one at the moment. I want to printt maps
    >>and upload to my garmin etrex.
    >
    >My personal conclusions from asking this question a cuppla
    >weeks ago are;
    >
    >1. Fugawi
    >2. Memory Map
    >3. Anquet
    >
    >1 & 2 handle GPS data well (designed for), 1 is
    >[considerably] cheaper than 2. 3's GPS tools are
    >rudimentary in comparison.
    >
    >>Also where is the cheapest to buy from ?
    >
    >Online, from Fugawi (priced in USD)
    [...]

    Or Amazon UK, for next day delivery at GBP 44.99 plus
    postage.

    Regards, Nick.

    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton Caversham, Reading, England
    <[email protected]

  4. David Taylor

    David Taylor Guest

    I am using a piece of shareware called oziexplorer. This
    allows you to use scanned in maps and plot your own tracks,
    waypoints etc. Then you can print out the map with the track
    painted on it. Oziexplorer has the interface to upload the
    track and Waypoints to your GPS

    This is a much cheaper method but you do not get the 3D
    effects that one reputedly does from memory map and Anquet.

    Oziexplorer is available as a trial from www.oziexplorer.com

    Regards

    David

    "Steve Tipper" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi NG
    >
    > I know this must have been asked (I have done a search on
    > google but only
    > couple of threads)
    >
    > Which is the best one at the moment. I want to printt maps
    > and upload to
    my
    > garmin etrex.
    >
    > Also where is the cheapest to buy from ?
    >

    > Thanks in advance Steve

  5. Dean Edwards

    Dean Edwards Guest

    On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:47:54 -0000, Steve Tipper wrote:

    >Hi NG
    >
    >I know this must have been asked (I have done a search on
    >google but only a couple of threads)
    >
    >Which is the best one at the moment. I want to printt maps
    >and upload to my garmin etrex.
    >
    >Also where is the cheapest to buy from ?
    >

    >Thanks in advance Steve

    There's a recent review here http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/n-
    ews/article.asp?UAN=2552&SP=328351336758364396274&v=1

  6. Bernard Hill

    Bernard Hill Guest

    In article <[email protected]
    text.cableinet.net>, Mike Mason
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Oziexplorer 3D has some 3D effects but they are static and
    >you need good height data. SRTM data is now available for
    >free. It does contain some anomalies though.

    SRTM?

    Bernard Hill Selkirk, Scotland

  7. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

  8. Mike Mason

    Mike Mason Guest

    Oziexplorer 3D has some 3D effects but they are static and
    you need good height data. SRTM data is now available for
    free. It does contain some anomalies though.

    Mike Mason

    "David Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > I am using a piece of shareware called oziexplorer. This
    > allows you to
    use
    > scanned in maps and plot your own tracks, waypoints etc.
    > Then you can
    print
    > out the map with the track painted on it. Oziexplorer has
    > the interface
    > upload the track and Waypoints to your GPS
    >
    > This is a much cheaper method but you do not get the
    > 3D effects that one reputedly does from memory map
    > and Anquet.
    >
    > Oziexplorer is available as a trial from
    > www.oziexplorer.com
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > David
    >
    > "Steve Tipper" <[email protected]> wrote
    > in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi NG
    > >
    > > I know this must have been asked (I have done a search
    > > on google but
    only
    > > couple of threads)
    > >
    > > Which is the best one at the moment. I want to printt
    > > maps and upload to
    > my
    > > garmin etrex.
    > >
    > > Also where is the cheapest to buy from ?
    > >

    > > Thanks in advance Steve

  9. Rich Gwent

    Rich Gwent Guest

  10. Steve Tipper

    Steve Tipper Guest

    Hi Thanks everyone... link to the review was very
    helpfull Steve