Anquetil Bicycle Photos

waxbytes said:
The most unusual thing I can see in those photos is the barbed wire license plate holder on the truck:eek:
Let me be more specific, I'm talking about the BRAND of bike not so much the fact that it is a 10 speed...

mastronaut said:
Let me be more specific, I'm talking about the BRAND of bike not so much the fact that it is a 10 speed...
If my memory serves me right, the Jacques Anquetil brand was sold by mail-order, probably Cyclo-Pedia, in the late 60s and early 70s. The Huret Allvit rear derailleur puts it right in this time period. The Allvit didn't shift as well a the Simplex Prestige, but it didn't break when you fell on it (it bent instead). The geometry, steel cottered cranks, stamped dropouts, cover plate over the fork crown, and Mafac Racer brakes suggest that the model you have is a "campus tourer," comparable to a Raleigh Record or Peugeot UO-8 of that period. These were made of chromoly steel, with seamless main tubes and seamed where you might not notice--usually the fork blades and steerer.

The top of the Anquetil line was comparable to the Peugot PX-10. By the early 70s demand for Peugeots was raising the price, so you could order one of these for a bit less.

mastronaut said:
So it's not worth a whole lot then....
With new tubes, tires, handlebar tape, brake pads and cables, and a chain, it might bring 10 bucks at a church rummage sale. Or you can ride it around town and be assured that no one will put too much effort into stealing it, like I did with the old Peugeot that I got for free.

ranger39000 said:
so, old bobcat, r u admitting thievery, :eek: , or is there something I'm missin?
No, I mean someone dropped off an old Peugeot at the church rummage sale. No one bought it because it was unrideable. I took it home, put about $35 into making it rideable, and we ride it. I'd seen far nicer bikes languish for less money.

I like old bikes...

Sheldon had something about a certain brand of French stem from this era which would fail a lot :eek: ! Don't remember the name.

oldbobcat said:
With new tubes, tires, handlebar tape, brake pads and cables, and a chain, it might bring 10 bucks at a church rummage sale. Or you can ride it around town and be assured that no one will put too much effort into stealing it, like I did with the old Peugeot that I got for free.
Cmon oldbobcat, say what you really think....:rolleyes:

garage sale GT said:
I like old bikes...

Sheldon had something about a certain brand of French stem from this era which would fail a lot :eek: ! Don't remember the name.
My brother just gave me his old Viscount from the 70's, he read somewhere that the forks have snapped on these...I'll probably strip it for parts. :cool:

mastronaut said:
My brother just gave me his old Viscount from the 70's, he read somewhere that the forks have snapped on these...I'll probably strip it for parts. :cool:
It's not worth rebuilding anyway unless you have a cheap strategy for upgrading the rear hub. I get 500 miles tops out of those before the wheel starts to wobble and bearing balls break in half.