anth and the flush

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Toby Jones, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Toby Jones

    Toby Jones Guest

    From: "Anth" <[email protected]>
    Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative
    Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 9:56 PM
    Subject: Re: Gallbladder Flush Worked For Me

    > I've got the Epsom Salts and the Olive oil, I've just got to wait till the weekend to try it
    > out. Anth

    What about the grapefruit - aren't you supposed to have the juice of several grapefruit as well? I
    thought it was an essential ingredient.

    And in the 2-3 days before, the recommendation was for mostly raw food, salads or fruit, - so you're
    empty of heavier starchy or fatty food by the time you begin..

    (That was from 6 years ago when someone I knew tried it - I never did, so I don't really know, and
    maybe they've changed it since)

    One last thing, - stay close to the bathroom all weekend. :)

    ps Orac said that if it did what it said and broke up any stones, it could be dangerous?

    Tags:

  2. Bew

    Bew Guest

    Anth , What you need to realise is that those who ridicule the alternative approaches are not going
    to be swayed no matter what you or anyone else says
    . I have done the flush many times and I know it works as does my doctor , do they believe me ? of
    course not . The detractors are always going to be around , don't waste your time nor your energy
    trying to convert them . This ng is a great place for those who have a genuine interest in seeking
    other , mainly natural ways of treating medical problems . There is nothing mystical about that ,
    humans have been doing this for thousands of years , many of the present drugs are only chemical
    mimics of natural substances , don't waste your time arguing with the puppets or trying to prove
    anything to them , as there is nothing to be gained . As far as the flush goes , Firstly do you
    have any real need to do it ? are you suffering gall bladder attacks ? , etc If you don't have any
    obvious medical reason to do it , then you may decide to do it just as a detox , find out how to
    do it properly . Don't go off doing it with no understanding of what you are doing -Read about the
    methods , decide which one you like the sound of and get the information before you go ahead . For
    instance , You need to drink pure apple juice for several days before. Go find out all about how
    to do it properly then if you still feel the need to do it you will know exactly what to expect .

    Bew

    "toby jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > From: "Anth" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative Sent: Tuesday, March
    > 02, 2004 9:56 PM Subject: Re: Gallbladder Flush Worked For Me
    >
    > > I've got the Epsom Salts and the Olive oil, I've just got to wait till
    the
    > > weekend to try it out. Anth
    > >

    > What about the grapefruit - aren't you supposed to have the juice of several grapefruit as well? I
    > thought it was an essential ingredient.
    >
    > And in the 2-3 days before, the recommendation was for mostly raw food, salads or fruit, - so
    > you're empty of heavier starchy or fatty food by the time you begin..
    >
    > (That was from 6 years ago when someone I knew tried it - I never did, so I don't really know, and
    > maybe they've changed it since)
    >
    > One last thing, - stay close to the bathroom all weekend. :)
    >
    > ps Orac said that if it did what it said and broke up any stones, it could be dangerous?

    ---

    Release Date: 18/02/2004

  3. Anth

    Anth Guest

    I normally have grapefruits in my fruit basket thingie. My plans are juice a few and use the amount
    listed in the flush. Anth

    "toby jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > From: "Anth" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative Sent: Tuesday, March
    > 02, 2004 9:56 PM Subject: Re: Gallbladder Flush Worked For Me
    >
    > > I've got the Epsom Salts and the Olive oil, I've just got to wait till
    the
    > > weekend to try it out. Anth
    > >

    > What about the grapefruit - aren't you supposed to have the juice of several grapefruit as well? I
    > thought it was an essential ingredient.
    >
    > And in the 2-3 days before, the recommendation was for mostly raw food, salads or fruit, - so
    > you're empty of heavier starchy or fatty food by the time you begin..
    >
    > (That was from 6 years ago when someone I knew tried it - I never did, so I don't really know, and
    > maybe they've changed it since)
    >
    > One last thing, - stay close to the bathroom all weekend. :)
    >
    > ps Orac said that if it did what it said and broke up any stones, it could be dangerous?

  4. Anth

    Anth Guest

    What is more important is that I find out for myself. I've seen the arguments passing by and none
    prove anything. Have you got any links that show how to do it properly? Anth

    "Bew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Anth , What you need to realise is that those who ridicule the alternative approaches are not
    > going to be swayed no matter what you or anyone else
    says
    > . I have done the flush many times and I know it works as does my doctor , do they believe me ? of
    > course not . The detractors are always going to be around , don't waste your time nor your
    > energy trying to convert them . This ng is a great place for those who have a genuine interest
    > in seeking other , mainly natural ways of treating medical problems . There is
    nothing
    > mystical about that , humans have been doing this for thousands of years , many of the present
    > drugs are only chemical mimics of natural substances , don't waste your time arguing with the
    > puppets or trying to prove anything to them , as there is nothing to be gained . As far as the
    > flush goes , Firstly do you have any real need to do it ? are you suffering gall
    bladder
    > attacks ? , etc If you don't have any obvious medical reason to do it , then you may
    decide
    > to do it just as a detox , find out how to do it properly . Don't go off doing it with no
    > understanding of what you are doing -Read about the
    methods
    > , decide which one you like the sound of and get the information before
    you
    > go ahead . For instance , You need to drink pure apple juice for several days before. Go find out
    > all about how to do it properly then if you still feel the
    need
    > to do it you will know exactly what to expect .
    >
    > Bew
    >

    > "toby jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > From: "Anth" <[email protected]> Newsgroups: misc.health.alternative Sent: Tuesday,
    > > March 02, 2004 9:56 PM Subject: Re: Gallbladder Flush Worked For Me
    > >
    > > > I've got the Epsom Salts and the Olive oil, I've just got to wait till
    > the
    > > > weekend to try it out. Anth
    > > >

    > > What about the grapefruit - aren't you supposed to have the juice of several grapefruit as well?
    > > I thought it was an essential ingredient.
    > >
    > > And in the 2-3 days before, the recommendation was for mostly raw food, salads or fruit, - so
    > > you're empty of heavier starchy or fatty food by the time you begin..
    > >
    > > (That was from 6 years ago when someone I knew tried it - I never did, so I don't really know,
    > > and maybe they've changed it since)
    > >
    > > One last thing, - stay close to the bathroom all weekend. :)
    > >
    > > ps Orac said that if it did what it said and broke up any stones, it could be dangerous?
    >

    > ---

    > - Release Date: 18/02/2004

  5. "Bew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anth , What you need to realise is that those who ridicule the alternative approaches are not
    > going to be swayed no matter what you or anyone else
    says
    > . I have done the flush many times and I know it works as does my doctor , do they believe me ? of
    > course not .

    I don't even believe you have a real doctor. No one who has passed A & P 101 would prescribe
    gallbladder flushes.

    > As far as the flush goes , Firstly do you have any real need to do it ? are you suffering gall
    bladder
    > attacks ? , etc

    Were YOU suffering gallbladder "attacks" Bew? How do you know?

    > If you don't have any obvious medical reason to do it , then you may
    decide
    > to do it just as a detox , find out how to do it properly . Don't go off doing it with no
    > understanding of what you are doing -Read about the
    methods
    > , decide which one you like the sound of and get the information before
    you
    > go ahead .

    Great. First you are flushing gallstones that you don't know you have, now you want to "detox"
    without identifying what toxins are present, if any.

    > For instance , You need to drink pure apple juice for several days before. Go find out all about
    > how to do it properly then if you still feel the
    need
    > to do it you will know exactly what to expect .

    Don't expect any procedure, natural or otherwise, to universally treat conditions caused by toxic
    substances. And don't let scaremongers convince you that the world, and therefore your body is full
    of "toxins."

    > Bew

  6. Toby Jones

    Toby Jones Guest

    "Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What is more important is that I find out for myself.

    Then at least make sure that you read up on it well first!

    What are the risks or dangers? What are the precautions? Are you following the _entire_ procedure,
    _exactly_ as recommended?

    If you miss one step, such as the 2 or three days of "apple juice" (or whatever it was), then you
    may be missing an essential step for it to be either safe (eg, if the juice were to soften whatever
    it is that goes out of the body), or to have the claimed effect.

    Are there some people who should NOT do a gall bladder flush?

    Will you have a telephone very nearby, in case you get into strife? For example, if you found you
    were doubled over with pain or cramp and could not move, how to get help?

    Do you have a friend or relative who could call in, or at least telephone, to check to see if you
    are alright?

    Does your Health Practitioner, whether "alt" or medical, know that you are doing this?

    Have you had a medical checkup recently to see that it is OK for you to try this, without
    serious risk?

    Are you on any medication, which could affect what you are doing or be affected by it?

    None of the above is intended to say "Don't do it", or that it "Is dangerous", or that "It won't do
    anything".

    Just that if someone is going to try something they have heard or read about, then make sure you are
    doing it correctly and carefully, with safety measures in place.

    > I've seen the arguments passing by and none prove anything. Have you got any links that show how
    > to do it properly? Anth

    The first one that I found, though I am not the person you were asking, has this WARNING from a
    Naturopathic Doctor:

    "It can and does occasionally send people to the hospital with an attack of cholitis if a stone
    becomes lodged in the biliary duct." http://chetday.com/gallbladderflushes.htm

  7. Toby Jones

    Toby Jones Guest

    "Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > What is more important is that I find out for myself. I've seen the arguments passing by and none
    > prove anything. Have you got any links that show how to do it properly? Anth

    www.liverdoctor.com/Section4/gallbladder.asp

    Please, read through that first, before trying anything, for your health and safety's sake. (To
    anyone thinking of trying that particular regime.)

    Dr Sandra Cabot, MD, has studied liver and gall bladder cleanses for many years.

  8. [email protected] (toby jones) wrote:

    >"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> What is more important is that I find out for myself. I've seen the arguments passing by and none
    >> prove anything. Have you got any links that show how to do it properly? Anth
    >

    >www.liverdoctor.com/Section4/gallbladder.asp
    >
    >Please, read through that first, before trying anything, for your health and safety's sake. (To
    >anyone thinking of trying that particular regime.)
    >
    >Dr Sandra Cabot, MD, has studied liver and gall bladder cleanses for many years.

    Dr Cabot is not "MD". She calls herself that for marketing purposes.

    --
    Peter Bowditch
    The Green Light http://www.ratbags.com/greenlight
    To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

  9. "Peter Bowditch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (toby jones) wrote:
    >
    > >"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> What is more important is that I find out for myself. I've seen the arguments passing by and
    > >> none prove anything. Have you got any links that show how to do it properly? Anth
    > >

    > >www.liverdoctor.com/Section4/gallbladder.asp
    > >
    > >Please, read through that first, before trying anything, for your health and safety's sake. (To
    > >anyone thinking of trying that particular regime.)
    > >
    > >Dr Sandra Cabot, MD, has studied liver and gall bladder cleanses for many years.
    >
    > Dr Cabot is not "MD". She calls herself that for marketing purposes.

    But, Peter, her website says:

    "Dr Cabot graduated with honours in Medicine and Surgery from the University of South Australia
    in 1975. "

    Doesn't that make a person an "M.D."?????

  10. Anth

    Anth Guest

    Ok Thanks for the tips - I will have a phone handy. Anth

    "toby jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > What is more important is that I find out for myself.
    >
    > Then at least make sure that you read up on it well first!
    >
    > What are the risks or dangers? What are the precautions? Are you following the _entire_ procedure,
    > _exactly_ as recommended?
    >
    > If you miss one step, such as the 2 or three days of "apple juice" (or whatever it was), then you
    > may be missing an essential step for it to be either safe (eg, if the juice were to soften
    > whatever it is that goes out of the body), or to have the claimed effect.
    >
    > Are there some people who should NOT do a gall bladder flush?
    >
    > Will you have a telephone very nearby, in case you get into strife? For example, if you found you
    > were doubled over with pain or cramp and could not move, how to get help?
    >
    > Do you have a friend or relative who could call in, or at least telephone, to check to see if you
    > are alright?
    >
    > Does your Health Practitioner, whether "alt" or medical, know that you are doing this?
    >
    > Have you had a medical checkup recently to see that it is OK for you to try this, without
    > serious risk?
    >
    > Are you on any medication, which could affect what you are doing or be affected by it?
    >
    > None of the above is intended to say "Don't do it", or that it "Is dangerous", or that "It won't
    > do anything".
    >
    > Just that if someone is going to try something they have heard or read about, then make sure you
    > are doing it correctly and carefully, with safety measures in place.
    >
    > > I've seen the arguments passing by and none prove anything. Have you got any links that show how
    > > to do it properly? Anth
    >
    > The first one that I found, though I am not the person you were asking, has this WARNING from a
    > Naturopathic Doctor:
    >
    > "It can and does occasionally send people to the hospital with an attack of cholitis if a stone
    > becomes lodged in the biliary duct." http://chetday.com/gallbladderflushes.htm

  11. Anth

    Anth Guest

  12. Gymmy Bob

    Gymmy Bob Guest

    L-ornithine is a naturally occurring amino acid. It is part of the protein makeup that your body has
    to break proteins down into to be absorbed by your intestines and stomache.

    I forget what they claimed the ornithine did but I remember thinking it was a bunch of crap. I lived
    on the stuff for a few years and it didn't do what they said.

    L-ornithine is awailable in powder but your probably wouldn't like the tast of it.

    "Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Not sure about taking the Ornithine. I'll have to skip that - I'm against pills unless they
    > are really
    necessary.
    > Did you take the Ornithine? Anth
    >
    > "Jan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > http://www.drclark.net/info/liver.htm
    > >
    > > I have done this several times, it works.
    > >
    > > Jan

  13. "Mark Probert-March 2, 2004" <Mark [email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Peter Bowditch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> [email protected] (toby jones) wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> >

    >> >www.liverdoctor.com/Section4/gallbladder.asp
    >> >
    >> >Please, read through that first, before trying anything, for your health and safety's sake. (To
    >> >anyone thinking of trying that particular regime.)
    >> >
    >> >Dr Sandra Cabot, MD, has studied liver and gall bladder cleanses for many years.
    >>
    >> Dr Cabot is not "MD". She calls herself that for marketing purposes.
    >
    >But, Peter, her website says:
    >
    >"Dr Cabot graduated with honours in Medicine and Surgery from the University of South Australia
    >in 1975. "
    >
    >Doesn't that make a person an "M.D."?????

    No, that makes a person "MB,BS". The names and abbreviations of university degrees are not a matter
    of personal choice. As an example, nobody gets a PhD from Oxford. Graduates of that establishment
    get to put "D.Phil" after their names.

    Cabot thinks that her customers are too stupid to understand that different countries and
    universities have different practices. (Yes, I know that all words after "stupid" in that sentence
    are redundant.)

    To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

  14. Orac

    Orac Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Bew" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Anth , What you need to realise is that those who ridicule the alternative approaches are not
    > going to be swayed no matter what you or anyone else says
    > . I have done the flush many times and I know it works as does my doctor ,

    HOW do you know it "works"? Did you have an ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder before the
    treatment confirming that you actually had stones? Do you have ultrasound studies done before and
    after the flushes that shows a decrease in the number of stones? Did you actually find stones in
    your stool and submit them for analysis to show that they actually are stones? If the answer to the
    last two questions is "no," you don't know the flush "works." You only think or assume it does.

    [Snip]

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"

  15. Anth

    Anth Guest

    If nothing comes out then it's bunkum. Anth

    "Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:rac-
    [email protected]t...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Bew" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Anth , What you need to realise is that those who ridicule the alternative approaches are not
    > > going to be swayed no matter what you or anyone else
    says
    > > . I have done the flush many times and I know it works as does my doctor
    ,

    > HOW do you know it "works"? Did you have an ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder before the
    > treatment confirming that you actually had stones? Do you have ultrasound studies done before
    > and after the flushes that shows a decrease in the number of stones? Did you actually find
    > stones in your stool and submit them for analysis to show that they actually are stones? If the
    > answer to the last two questions is "no," you don't know the flush "works." You only think or
    > assume it does.
    >
    > [Snip]
    >
    > --
    > Orac |"A statement of fact cannot be insolent."
    > |
    > |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"

  16. Orac

    Orac Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Peter Bowditch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > [email protected] (toby jones) wrote:
    >
    > >"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> What is more important is that I find out for myself. I've seen the arguments passing by and
    > >> none prove anything. Have you got any links that show how to do it properly? Anth
    > >

    > >www.liverdoctor.com/Section4/gallbladder.asp
    > >
    > >Please, read through that first, before trying anything, for your health and safety's sake. (To
    > >anyone thinking of trying that particular regime.)
    > >
    > >Dr Sandra Cabot, MD, has studied liver and gall bladder cleanses for many years.
    >
    > Dr Cabot is not "MD". She calls herself that for marketing purposes.

    Really? What is her real degree?

  17. Orac <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, Peter Bowditch
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> [email protected] (toby jones) wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Anth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> >

    >> >www.liverdoctor.com/Section4/gallbladder.asp
    >> >
    >> >Please, read through that first, before trying anything, for your health and safety's sake. (To
    >> >anyone thinking of trying that particular regime.)
    >> >
    >> >Dr Sandra Cabot, MD, has studied liver and gall bladder cleanses for many years.
    >>
    >> Dr Cabot is not "MD". She calls herself that for marketing purposes.
    >
    >Really? What is her real degree?

    MB,BS. It is a real medical qualification but convention is that you use the abbreviations in use by
    the university which awards the degrees, not something else because it sounds better.

    I have been told that in California what she does is actually illegal, not just poor etiquette.

    By the way, Dr Cabot is no longer licensed to practice medicine in Australia. I have heard rumours
    that her removal from the list of registered practitioners was not voluntary, but details are
    sketchy and Australia has savage defamation laws.

    To email me use my first name only at ratbags.com

  18. Orac

    Orac Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Anth" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Dr Day is a MD also.

    Sadly, this is true. She was an orthopedic surgeon until the altie impulse took over and she decided
    to start selling her "Barley Green." It started even before she got breast cancer; she was making
    some rather questionable assertions about the mechanism of spread of the AIDS virus in operating
    rooms back in the 1980's.

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"

  19. Eric Bohlman

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    Orac <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:eek:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>, "Bew" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Anth , What you need to realise is that those who ridicule the alternative approaches are not
    >> going to be swayed no matter what you or anyone else says . I have done the flush many times and
    >> I know it works as does my doctor ,
    >
    > HOW do you know it "works"? Did you have an ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder before the
    > treatment confirming that you actually had stones? Do you have ultrasound studies done before
    > and after the flushes that shows a decrease in the number of stones? Did you actually find
    > stones in your stool and submit them for analysis to show that they actually are stones? If the
    > answer to the last two questions is "no," you don't know the flush "works." You only think or
    > assume it does.

    When people say the flushes "work" they usually mean that the instructions for the flush told them
    to expect their stool to appear a certain way afterwards, they did the flush, and their stool did
    indeed have the appearance the instructions said it would. That, of course, does indeed demonstrate
    that the flush works to alter the appearance of the stool. But that's *all* it demonstrates. It
    doesn't support any assertions about what the altered appearance means. But for a lot of people, the
    fact that one statement made by the author of the instructions turned out to be true makes them
    believe that everything else the author says must be true.

    Well, at least they apply that "logic" when dealing with subjects they don't really know much about
    and may be squeamish about (as many people are about GI matters). They can usually recognize the
    fallacy in other

    and if you take out a pocket calculator, press the 2 key, press the + key, press the 3 key, and then
    press the = key, the display will read 5," not even the most hyper-credulous person would take the
    truth of the latter element of the conjunction as evidence in favor of the former one. But that's
    mostly because they can easily recognize the first premise as being both objectively false and
    morally reprehensible.

    But when the first premise deals with something unknown to the reader, the fallacy may not be
    immediately apparent to the reader because people tend to evaluate statements based on the perceived
    credibility of the person making them. In my hypothetical example, I'd have lost credibility as soon
    as I said "adults." However, it wouldn't cause anyone to doubt my assertion about the calculator
    because it deals with a well-known fact.

    have ruled that an employer can legally fire an employee for refusing to commit a crime on behalf of
    the employer," most people would refuse to believe the second assertion even though it is in fact
    true (one such case involved an employee who was fired for refusing an order to fill in false
    information on a tax return) and that refusal would be based in large part on my loss of perceived
    credibility in making the first assertion.

    So in many ways altmed scams work just like traditional con games; the "practitioner" first gains
    the patient's confidence by making a correct prediction, and then the "practitioner" makes
    assertions that the patient doesn't really understand, but trusts because of the established
    confidence.

  20. Rich.

    Rich. Guest

    On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 01:07:12 -0000, "Anth" <[email protected]fspam.com>
    wrote:

    >If nothing comes out then it's bunkum.

    You will conclude it is bunkum if a single trial fails???

    What if you have no stones to come out??

    What if it only works 95% of the time and you are the 5% it does not work??

    Not much of a scientist are you Anth??

    Aloha,

    Rich

    >Anth
    >
    >"Orac" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:rac-
    >[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>, "Bew" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Anth , What you need to realise is that those who ridicule the alternative approaches are not
    >> > going to be swayed no matter what you or anyone else
    >says
    >> > . I have done the flush many times and I know it works as does my doctor
    >,
    >>
    >> HOW do you know it "works"? Did you have an ultrasound of the liver and gallbladder before the
    >> treatment confirming that you actually had stones? Do you have ultrasound studies done before
    >> and after the flushes that shows a decrease in the number of stones? Did you actually find
    >> stones in your stool and submit them for analysis to show that they actually are stones? If the
    >> answer to the last two questions is "no," you don't know the flush "works." You only think or
    >> assume it does.
    >>
    >> [Snip]
    >>
    >> --
    >> Orac |"A statement of fact cannot be insolent."
    >> |
    >> |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you inconvenience me with questions?"

    The best defense to logic is ignorance