Anti cyclists threats in the media

Terry Collins <[email protected]> writes:

> David Trudgett wrote:
>
>>>Or have I been wachting too many tits & pecks action movies?

>> I don't know. Have you? :)

> Probably. Cheap DVDs from The Warehouse (20/$30) and BigW (10/$7.92)
> atm. Lots of steam trains (well a few), but only one olde scene with
> bicycles so far baring the obligatory priest on bicycle in early
> "Italian" stuff (Charles Bronson/Jack Palance).

Ah, il prete italiano e la vecchia bici, si'. An elegant mode of
transport for a more civilised age...

Cheers,

David

--

David Trudgett
http://www.zeta.org.au/~wpower/

First they ignore you,
then they laugh at you,
then they fight you,
then you win!

-- Mohandas Gandhi

cfsmtb wrote:
> rooman Wrote:
> > Hmmmmmm, well at least this over no-dozed brain dead truck trash is
> > suggesting some one do something "illegal" befor he runs over them,
> > maybe if he holds his breath he will do us a favour.

> Apart from the redneck kneejerk **** - what particularly annoys me is I
> have the utmost respect for professional truck drivers. :confused:

Heh. Drive at the speed limit down the western hwy at night and then
say that.

After you get tailgated by the 5th truck, sitting 2m off your bumper,
you'll re-assess your perspective on "professional truck drivers".

Bleve said:
Heh. Drive at the speed limit down the western hwy at night and then
say that.

After you get tailgated by the 5th truck, sitting 2m off your bumper,
you'll re-assess your perspective on "professional truck drivers".

1. I don't drive or have ever held a license.
2. I don't intend riding on the Western Fwy anytime soon.

My opinion was formed after working/commuting down to Webb Dock and actually speaking to a lot of professional truck drivers. Subbies are another story altogether.

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:

> My opinion was formed after working/commuting down to Webb Dock and
> actually speaking to a lot of professional truck drivers. Subbies are
> another story altogether.

Having worked in the "professional" transport industry, I would say that
you get a big mix of people driving trucks. Some are psychopaths, some
are amphetamine addicts, some have families and mortgages, some are
safety freaks, and so on. There is a fair element of machismo in the
industry which is not good when someone is in control 20T of freight.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

I notice that truck drivers are having their own protest today (as they do regularly, over high fuel prices, unfair time travel expectations etc).

Perhaps Mr Thornton should look in his own backyard about disruptions caused by his peers actions before he complains about cyclists with their own legitimate protest.

Stewart

osc wrote:
> I notice that truck drivers are having their own protest today (as they
> do regularly, over high fuel prices, unfair time travel expectations
> etc).
>
> Perhaps Mr Thornton should look in his own backyard about disruptions
> caused by his peers actions before he complains about cyclists with
> their own legitimate protest.
>
> Stewart

"If any one of those idiots illegally impedes me I'll run straight over
them," of course I may need a trials bike to do it ;)

DaveB

cfsmtb said:
Apart from the redneck kneejerk **** - what particularly annoys me is I have the utmost respect for professional truck drivers. :confused:
So do I but like always it's the few idiots that give the rest a bad name.

You would be suprised at how many truck drivers actually ride bikes.

I drove a truck at one stage and three of my co-workers were A Grade riders and another was proffesional sponsored rider on the european circuit. This of course was when they were younger.

DaveB said:
osc wrote:

"If any one of those idiots illegally impedes me I'll run straight over
them," of course I may need a trials bike to do it ;)

DaveB
I had the same thought, but then I realised that as a cyclist, traffic seldom impedes me.

SteveA

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:26:18 +1000, [email protected]
(Peter McCallum) wrote:

>I think you should send a complaint to the Victorian Police asking them
>to investigate the group. At least if they know the names of its members
>and they do something stupid then it may be possible to prove some form
>of premeditation.

Why?

At the moment they are making the same sort of ******** threats as
Critical Mass do. And unlike Critical Mass they haven't done anything
like deliberately obstruct traffic and **** people off, or ride
illegally on the road.

If they actually do something, then fine, go after them hard.

Critical Mass is counter productive anyway, it only pisses off
motorists further and achieves nothing.

dewatf.

cfsmtb wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
> >
> > Heh. Drive at the speed limit down the western hwy at night and then
> > say that.
> >
> > After you get tailgated by the 5th truck, sitting 2m off your bumper,
> > you'll re-assess your perspective on "professional truck drivers".

> 1. I don't drive or have ever held a license.
> 2. I don't intend riding on the Western Fwy anytime soon.

Let's just say that I was driving at ~5km/h over the speed limit, at
night, and was repeatedly tailgated by trucks. No one-off experience,
both times I've been to Adelaide recently (to see the TDU) this has
happened, and not once or twice, but at least 5 or 6 times a night.

> My opinion was formed after working/commuting down to Webb Dock and
> actually speaking to a lot of professional truck drivers. Subbies are
> another story altogether.

What they say and what they do ...

I'm sure a significant number of truckdrivers are responsible, safe
drivers, but a significant number also are not. Just like any other
bunch of individual humans.

obviously not one of the 1000+ riders on friday...

CM does nothing to 'deliberately obstruct traffic'
they have every right to ride on the roads like all other road users.
they dont make traffic - they are traffic...

pity the people stuck in friday traffic are held up, the only ones i
saw were going THE OTHER WAY and were already stuck in their own
traffic.

threats like those published really dont do anything to portray the
average motorist in a good light.
after all the years of positive advertising of drink/drunk drivers,
speeding motorists, on-the-phone motorists, hit/run motorists......

dewatf wrote:

> Critical Mass is counter productive anyway, it only pisses off
> motorists further and achieves nothing.
>
> dewatf.

You forgot to mention: helmets are the work of the devil, red light
runners should be drawn and quartered, bicycles should be registered,
Dutchy wears short shorts (hey it was Bleve that said it, not me), and
.... oh who cares I'm sure any I missed will come up over the next month.

DaveB "stuck in a continuous usenet loop"

What ******** threats? The only threats we've read are Melb's media conjuring up stuff and uttered by the rather stupid Ross Thornton. Most readers on BV's forum saw right through media BS:
http://www.bv.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=518

Do you comprehend the legal definition of incitement? Come on dewatf, you big forum & usenet **** - surely you can't be that *thick* with the throwaway remarks. *Go after someone hard* - after they've possibly injured or killed a cyclist, and there was prior information published in the media? You fcukwit.

cfsmtb <[email protected]> wrote:
> dewatf Wrote:
> >
> > If they actually do something, then fine, go after them hard.

> Do you comprehend the legal definition of incitement? Come on dewatf,
> you big forum & usenet **** - surely you can't be that *thick* with the
> throwaway remarks.

Did you make a complaint to the Vic Police? I think it's important, also
a complaint to the press council regarding the reporting. The "critical
smash" idea should be given no air in the media, just in case one idiot
decides to act on it.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

Peter McCallum said:
Did you make a complaint to the Vic Police? I think it's important, also
a complaint to the press council regarding the reporting. The "critical
smash" idea should be given no air in the media, just in case one idiot
decides to act on it.

Letter of complaint is on it's way to Victoria Police, also to the Herald Sun and then possibly the Press Council if I don't receive a satisfactory answer.

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Peter McCallum Wrote:
> >
> > Did you make a complaint to the Vic Police? I think it's important,
> > also
> > a complaint to the press council regarding the reporting. The
> > "critical
> > smash" idea should be given no air in the media, just in case one
> > idiot
> > decides to act on it.

> Letter of complaint is on it's way to Victoria Police, also to the
> Herald Sun and then possibly the Press Council if I don't receive a
> satisfactory answer.
> --
> cfsmtb

I wonder what the reaction from the press would be if I made an outrageous
statement such as.....

"I am sick of being cut off by cars when riding my bike. I am now going to
ride carrying a gun and the next time someone breaks the law and cuts me off
I am going to shoot them dead!!"

This is of course a purely hypothetical quote and of course I would never do
it but it is in effect the same statement as the one that started this
thread (ends up with the same result). I am pretty sure that I would very
quickly be tracked down by the police and spoken to if I came out and said
this in the media though.....lets just hope the same thing happens to our
critical smash friends.

Food for thought.

Gags

On 28/11/05 at 14:01:32 Bleve somehow managed to type:

I'm not Mark (Humbug) - I'm Ian, drinking his beer and using his
computer while he gets pizza. I'm no angel, I'm as guilty as
overloading and speeding as the next bloke, not including the bottom
feeders.

I've been a truck driver for the last 42 years. Started at 20 driving
semis and moved to the despised bus for a short time and went on to
road trains and lately B doubles. Over the time I've been driving I've
averaged about 3 hours a day behind the wheel, nearly 49,000 engine
hours in total. So far, thank the Gods, nothing's hit me and apart from
a wombat which resulted in the total destruction of the truck, three
trailers, the load, which was 18 cars, and the wombat, I've hit nothing
apart from roos and sheep. I've read what you say and can tell you that
you're badly understating the case. The standard of heavy vehicle
drivers is bloody woefull. Only about half are any better than
basically competant and a good quarter shouldn't be anywhere near a
road in anything. To be fair, it's not all the drivers fault. One large
company has a schedule that expects an average speed of 78kph from
Webb Dock to the warehouse in Adelaide which just can't be done. The
pressures on drivers can be huge. There's been a few cases of drivers
missing a delivery time by a few minutes and not been paid for the
trip. Not fuel costs, not anything.

Last Saturday night was an expensive trip from Adelaide. It cost me two
wheel rims and four tyres all due to only two idiot car drivers. The
first idiot went belting past at about ninety miles an hour and saw the
flashing blue and red lights, which I'd seen ages before and decided
there wasn't a problem, it was just someone getting booked well off the
road, and slammed on his brakes. I didn't kill him - I killed 3 tyres
and two rims. I was doing about 80 when I slammed on the brakes. 60
tons GVM doesn't stop anywhere near as quick as a little hatchback. It
didn't stay too straight when I steered right around the hatchback
either, that's when the left steer went. I very, very nearly went over.
The second idiot turned left from the right hand lane in front of me. I
was only doing about 30 so I only killed one tyre instead of him. The
tyres and rims weren't killed by locking, ABS is now pretty good, heat
delaminates the tyre and it shreds leaving those big lumps all over the
road.

In any six hour daylight drive around the east coast between Adelaide
and Brisbane I'd expect probably a couple of dicey moments an hour.
Usually they only leave a stain and a few hundred k's of tyre life on
the road. Sometimes they cost wheels and tyres and stains and smells in
the cab. I've been lucky, none of them have cost lives.

If it's possible to imagine, the standard of car drivers is even worse
than truck drivers. Fully three quarters of 'em shouldn't be on the
road at all. Only a very small number are anywhere near basically
competant. A vanishingly small number are of a high standard.

Driving any any vehicle is really easy. Just be predictable and
basically competant. That's all I ask.

Ian.

PS Sorry it was so long.

--
Humbug
BE A LOOF! (There has been a recent population explosion of lerts.)

Humbug said:
On 28/11/05 at 14:01:32 Bleve somehow managed to type:

I'm not Mark (Humbug) - I'm Ian, drinking his beer and using his
computer while he gets pizza. I'm no angel, I'm as guilty as
overloading and speeding as the next bloke, not including the bottom
feeders.

I've been a truck driver for the last 42 years.

...snip.....

If it's possible to imagine, the standard of car drivers is even worse
than truck drivers. Fully three quarters of 'em shouldn't be on the
road at all. Only a very small number are anywhere near basically
competant. A vanishingly small number are of a high standard.

Driving any any vehicle is really easy. Just be predictable and
basically competant. That's all I ask.

Ian.

PS Sorry it was so long.
Good to hear from Ian....sympathise and agree....now dear a.b 'ers...

tonight...... a prime example of idiocy on the part of a tanker driver....

out on a training ride and on Lorimer Street between Pier35 and Citystinks offices heading towards docklands (easterly) we were hammering, doing about 38-40klms an hour with a howling cross wind from the right, OK we hear this truck coming up behind us, the road is two lanes and a centre median strip, we are in the kerbside line in two lines, and about a meter out from the kerb, leaving at least half the lane, plus the full right lane free.... truck changes down and starts to rev and seems to be accellerating and moving closer, call is "Truck Back", but we all know its there and getting closer and louder, then ffigsake the idiot drives past doing at least 80kph, half in our lane and coming closer, and ahead is a sweeping right turn just before Citystink's building....as the truck swerves back into the right lane we see it is a double tanker, probably empty ( one of those cement carrier types) and the trailing tanker gets hit by the cross wind, added to the force of the turn and the driver's swerving , starts to lift its whole right side wheels off the road...we all picture it tipping over in front of us, and just 20 feet away and ahead....picture us all disaapearing under a rolling tanker, which then continues to barrel into the docklands hi-rise apartments staight in front and whoosh, all up in smoke...OK that didnt happen, but it was a figging close shave........the dork honked his horns and roared off as the rear trailer came back to earth right side up and wobbling over the lanes......damn we didnt in all the mayhem and shock get this fools rego.......darn it.......:mad:

> Good to hear from Ian....sympathise and agree....now dear a.b 'ers...
>
> tonight...... a prime example of idiocy on the part of a tanker
> driver....
>
> out on a training ride and on Lorimer Street between Pier35 and
> Citystinks offices heading towards docklands (easterly) we were
> hammering, doing about 38-40klms an hour with a howling cross wind from
> the right, OK we hear this truck coming up behind us, the road is two
> lanes and a centre median strip, we are in the kerbside line in two
> lines, and about a meter out from the kerb, leaving at least half the
> lane, plus the full right lane free.... truck changes down and starts
> to rev and seems to be accellerating and moving closer, call is "Truck
> Back", but we all know its there and getting closer and louder, then
> ffigsake the idiot drives past doing at least 80kph, half in our lane
> and coming closer, and ahead is a sweeping right turn just before
> Citystink's building....as the truck swerves back into the right lane
> we see it is a double tanker, probably empty ( one of those cement
> carrier types) and the trailing tanker gets hit by the cross wind,
> added to the force of the turn and the driver's swerving , starts to
> lift its whole right side wheels off the road...we all picture it
> tipping over in front of us, and just 20 feet away and ahead....picture
> us all disaapearing under a rolling tanker, which then continues to
> barrel into the docklands hi-rise apartments staight in front and
> whoosh, all up in smoke...OK that didnt happen, but it was a figging
> close shave........the dork honked his horns and roared off as the rear
> trailer came back to earth right side up and wobbling over the
> lanes......damn we didnt in all the mayhem and shock get this fools
> rego.......darn it.......:mad:

Gah...that'd do interesting things for the max heart rate. I've seen trucks
do that sort of thing before, and I swear that the drivers are oblivious to
the behaviour of the rearmost trailer. I suppose that in any group you have
a spectrum of competence and someone has to be wedged in at the left hand
side but it doesn't stop them scaring the **** out of you. Pity you didn't
get the rego...sounds like he definitely needs a wake up call.