anti-depressants and racing/training

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tony Abramavici, May 29, 2003.

  1. I am looking for any information (or personal experience) about the effects of anti-depressants on
    racing/training. Thanks.

    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Tony Abramavicius
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I am looking for any information (or personal experience) about the effects of anti-depressants on
    > racing/training. Thanks.

    Training IS an anti-depressant.

    -WG

  3. Spees

    Spees Guest

    [email protected] (Tony Abramavicius) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am looking for any information (or personal experience) about the effects of anti-depressants on
    > racing/training. Thanks.
    >
    > [email protected]

    Think about what the anti-depressants are trying to do...reduce anxiety, aggressive tendencies,
    compulsive behaviors. They are designed to temper the personality.

    Bike Racers tend to be compulsive, aggressive people, if not outwardly, than definitely in their
    training and racing. I've seen it happen where a rider looses a lot of the drive to train harder and
    push the body to its' limits when he starts taking anti-depressants.

    Understand that there are trade-offs in life.

    -Scott

  4. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "Spees" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Tony Abramavicius) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am looking for any information (or personal experience) about the effects of anti-depressants
    > > on racing/training. Thanks.
    > >
    > > [email protected]
    >
    > Think about what the anti-depressants are trying to do...reduce anxiety, aggressive tendencies,
    > compulsive behaviors. They are designed to temper the personality.

    Anti-depressants are not used for anxiety, some have been approved for Obessive/complusive
    behaviour, they are not designed to temper the personality.

    http://www.dr-bob.org/tips/antidepressants.html

    Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) bind to the
    serotonin transporter and inhibit reuptake, enhancing serotonin activity within the synapse. (1, 5)
    At clinical doses, the SSRIs have little effect on the norepinephrine or dopamine transporters and a
    low affinity for the histaminic, muscarinic/cholinergic, and alpha receptors.