Anti Doping Stand

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by alicem, Mar 5, 2004.

1. alicem

alicem New Member

Big up To Bradley McGee for not mincing his words and really hitting home his message! I wish other big name cyclists joined him in his blunt, no holds barred stance on doping instead of skirting around the issue so lightly it can appear that they are on ice with no skates. I for one always feel a real unease about the 'what if' factor of my favourite riders when they don't REALLY grip this issue with both hands when interviewed, so hope McGee has opened a can that may FINALLY never be closed or carefully worded around again.

"This year will bring rendez vous at Le Tour and Olympics plus many other major events such as the Giro d’Italy and Paris Nice. I am a name in the world of professional cycling and I am proud for the way I conduct myself. The emotional torture before major events never gets any easier and the physical pain never resides. As a pro bike rider I accept the pain, the mental stress and the pressure as to sidestep these factors you are really only kidding yourself. I create an environment to work in that stimulates, motivates and adapts to the ups and downs of the lifestyle. I believe that given the right training, team working creation, recovery and mental approach that anything is possible in my profession. I have not, do not, and never will take performance enhancing drugs or procedures to make this belief come true. Why would I? And yet, given recent estimates and accusations in the media by cyclists, journalists, government officials and even a member of the World Anti Doping Authority (WADA) I fall into a category of ‘must be’ doped riders. **** You"

http://www.bradleymcgee.com/Bradmcgee/pages/archives1.php?id=254

Tags:

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I agree with you 100% : Brad McGee has got to be commended for making his comments
    and stating that he’s clean.
    His invitation to the relevant authorities to come to stay with him is a breath of fresh air,
    in a cycling world where there is little or no credibility anymore.
    I too would like to see the likes of Ullrich come out and be unequivocal in their wish to see drugs eradicated from our sport.

Look at other sports, take Paula Radcliffe in athletics, and Ian Thorpe in swimming.
    Both of these people have been unequivocal in their stance against drug use in sport.
    Ian Thorpe has donated his blood to the authorities, so that they can test now, or at any time in the future, his sample, to prove that he never used drugs.
    Thorpe knows that the chemists are way ahead of the testers – and he could use this window if he was a cheat – but he is prepared to allow the testers to catch up and test his
    blood samples in to the future !
    This man wants his performances to be considered genuine and true.
    This is the sort of stance that sports people need to adopt.
    Paula Radcliffe runs with a black ribbon on her vest – to signify that she doesn’t dope.
    She carried a placard at the world championship a couple of years ago protesting against
    an athlete from Russia who, the IAAF allowed to participate in a final because of a botched technicality in a drug test.
    Both Radcliffe and Thorpe set the standard for cycling’s top people to come out against drug use, unequivocally.

Most cycling fans want to see the prestige of the TDF and cycling in general, restored.
    The toughness of the competitors in the TDF inspired awe in everyone throughout sport, at one time.
    This is what made our sport tougher than all the others – and now it is regarded, by the wider public, as a joke.
    Professional cycling has not credibility whatsoever any more.
    It’s almost embarrassing to tell someone that you follow the sport because all you get are catcalls like “and you expect us to believe that someone can ride 2000 miles, at those speeds, without taking drugs ?”.
    What can one say in response ???

3. Fixey

Fixey New Member

Another Austrailian cyclist, not sure of his name, possibly neil something, made a similair statement a month or 2 before getting cought up in a major scandal.
    I believe most if not all top proffesional cyclists take drugs that are either banned or will be. The chemists will always come up with new drugs or masks faster than can be checked for......Drugs in sport is a reality (sadly) and I have a serious issue of credibility with any rider who claims to be squecky clean.