Anti-pollution face masks

Do people who commute by bicycle in urban environments wear anti pollution masks?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jess_042010

Nov 28, 2017
Hello all, I was wondering if I could have some advice.
I am relatively new to commuting by bicycle and I am feeling as if I am inhaling a lot of car fumes!
I am quite health conscious and know that cycling has a huge amount of benefits, not just for myself but for the environment also.
I was wondering if anyone else experiences this and if anyone uses anti pollution masks?
if so can you give me recommendations on the best ones available and also any general experiences using them?

Many thanks in advance

Jess

Protection of daily air pollution, with protective masks on it, pay attention to the protective masks here is not a general mask, it is recommended to the regular labor insurance store to buy, before buying to ask whether it can protect pm2.5, etc.

Reactions: specializedwheels
Protection of daily air pollution, with protective masks on it, pay attention to the protective masks here is not a general mask, it is recommended to the regular labor insurance store to buy, before buying to ask whether it can protect pm2.5, etc.

Great Thank you Shrely .. I have noticed that there are quite a few types available.. will continue to research !

You are gonna look like hannibal with those.. Even the cute ones are creepy..

Anyway, I hate inhaling fumes my self, well those fumes at least. Apparently once somebody checked the air in the streets and even though it appears to be unhealthy it is not as bad in reality. But sometimes when you get stuck behind a bus, and the bus starts and puffs a huge smoke cloud all over you, well maybe that's kinda bad but I dont think a mask would make much difference.

Have you considered changing you route? Are you doing a specific route or do you have to go past the smokey roads?

Anyway, they sell those and they probably need replacement filters which I am sure that they only provide with a reassuring premioum... Maybe you could wear some industrial stuff underneath a bandana..?

Useless Fact #1: If there is a protest or something and you go around rocking bandanas and gas masks you might get arrested brah... :D

Reactions: specializedwheels

Anyway, I hate inhaling fumes my self, well those fumes at least. Apparently once somebody checked the air in the streets and even though it appears to be unhealthy it is not as bad in reality. But sometimes when you get stuck behind a bus, and the bus starts and puffs a huge smoke cloud all over you, well maybe that's kinda bad but I dont think a mask would make much difference.

Have you considered changing you route? Are you doing a specific route or do you have to go past the smokey roads?

Anyway, they sell those and they probably need replacement filters which I am sure that they only provide with a reassuring premioum... Maybe you could wear some industrial stuff underneath a bandana..?

Useless Fact #1: If there is a protest or something and you go around rocking bandanas and gas masks you might get arrested brah... :D

Hello Volnix,

Thank you for your response, yea I know they can look a tad odd ..im not too bothered though. Where about do you cycle? i'm in Bristol/ Bath and am really bothered by the fumes .. might be my imagination but feel it is getting worse.

I cant really change the time I cycle but will definitely have a good look into alternative routes, perhaps a cut through a park or something. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have had a look at the cloth mask/ bandanna combo and a lot of the comments suggest that they don't actually protect you from the harmful particulates. Have noticed there are a couple of decent looking ones on the market so will continue my search!

Thanks for the input

It is necessary to wear anti pollution mask when riding a bicycle. I have rhinitis, when the air pollution is serious, it is easy to cause rhinitis.
The masks have many features.
like:
Rapid airflow valve system
Velcro Fastening
Made from neoprene
Premium grade filtration
protect pm2.5

I do wear a face mask when riding in the city because if not I'll be investing all the vehicular exhaust smoke in the air. Also my face would be filled with dust, smoke, dirt and grime from all the pollution here.

Over here, the atmosphere in the urban area is highly polluted hence you should be wearing a face mask not only when you are riding but even when you are walking. The face mask is now getting popular here just like in Beijing and India where majority of people in the streets wear face mask. But I usually ride inside our village which has clean air that I don't need to wear a face mask.

I envy those who live in rural area particularly those places which are not that civilized yet. Places by which plants and trees are abundant and that the air is fresh and clean. I live in an urban area where the air is highly polluted because of vehicles that emit carbon dioxide. We who live here are prone to resporatory ailments such as asthma and common colds.
Wearing an anti pollution facial mask is highly encouraged. I myself since I am allergic to dusts, I used to wear one for me not to suffer from asthma.

Wearing a washable face mask is a great way to protect yourself from air pollution, and choosing an anti-pollution face mask that is made of high-quality materials and is easy to clean can help ensure that you're able to breathe easy and stay protected from harmful airborne contaminants.

I've been curious to try one of those industrial N99 masks used by some people on construction. They look like gas masks but with smaller filter cartridges. I ride in one of the most polluted places on the planet with heavy traffic everywhere. Imagine climbing up a mountain where the diesel trucks are full throttle and thus, doing all those thick sooty fumes.

Ironically, the mask looks so ridiculous, I think I'd rather die of the fumes than wearing a gas mask!!

I have had a look at the cloth mask/ bandanna combo and a lot of the comments suggest that they don't actually protect you from the harmful particulates. Have noticed there are a couple of decent looking ones on the market so will continue my search!

Here's the thing. The only filter that can protect you down to air pollution level is the N99 filter. But for that filter to be effective, you need to wear a respirator that can provide a perfect seal between your nose and mouth and nose and also to isolate the filter from your face which is going to be very useful because the filter gets impossible to breathe through when it's wet by your sweat. The respirator would also have one-way valve so you're not inhaling your exhaled CO2 back to your lungs.

The only problem is even the "low profile" respirators looks ridiculous. In the end, I decided to just simply use "mesh" cloth bandana. The same material used in the inner lining of some board shorts that have one. Mesh cloth won't fully protect you from smog and vehicle exhaust soot but they do help reduce the amount of particulates you breathe in. And mesh cloth remains easy to breathe through even when wet. After a long ride, my mesh cloth mask always gets black stains around the mouth and nose which shows they do their job in reducing some of the soot you breath in.

Cloth bandannas are what I currently use. It provides better soot filtration than mesh cloth and also gets blacked even more by exhaust soot after a few hours ride. The main problem with cloth bandanna is they become difficult to breathe through when wet, if you're a heavy sweater on the face, you probably can't use it.

Bandannas and mesh cloth not perfect. Let's say if you use respirator or lucky enough to be living somewhere remote or rural or exclusive neighborhoods with only very few vehicular traffic, you may have a life expectancy of 80 to 100 years. 50 to 70 years if you live in some of the most polluted cities in the planet and don't use any mask when exercising outdoors. 60 to 80 years if you use mesh or cloth bandanna. Besides, if you're stuck living in one of the most polluted cities in the planet, why would want to live long in such hell hole?

s-l1600_ca347a22-5286-4f6c-a101-321614bdfd59_640x.jpg

Hey there! When it comes to protecting yourself from air pollution during long-distance cycling, the N99 filter is indeed the most effective option. To ensure its effectiveness, it's crucial to wear a respirator that creates a perfect seal around your nose and mouth. This helps in isolating the filter from your face, which can be handy as the filter can become difficult to breathe through when wet from sweat. Additionally, a respirator with a one-way valve prevents inhaling exhaled CO2. Just remember, finding a respirator with these features is key.

Absolutely! A well-sealed respirator with a one-way valve is essential for the N99 filter's effectiveness, especially during long rides. Sweat can indeed affect breathability, so consider checking for moisture-resistant filters. As for aerodynamics, a snug-fitting respirator can minimize drag, but ensure it doesn't compromise the seal. Remember, even a slight gap can significantly reduce the filter's efficiency. Stay swift and breathe easy! :)

I'm glad we agree on the importance of a well-fitted respirator with a one-way valve for the N99 filter. Moisture-resistant filters are a great idea to combat the impact of sweat on breathability. Aerodynamics are crucial as well, and a snug fit can help minimize drag, but it's essential to ensure the seal remains secure. Even a small gap can significantly reduce the filter's efficiency. Keep up the safety measures and enjoy your rides with confidence! :)

When it comes to cycling aerodynamics, every detail matters, including the fit and design of your respirator. While a snug fit is crucial to minimize drag, it's equally important to ensure a secure seal to maintain the filter's efficiency. Even a small gap can significantly impact the respirator's performance, potentially exposing you to harmful particles.

In addition to a well-fitted respirator, you may also consider aerodynamic helmet designs that can further reduce wind resistance and improve your overall performance. Some helmets feature tailored shapes and textured surfaces that help guide airflow around your head, reducing turbulence and drag.

Another factor to consider is your body position on the bike. A more aerodynamic position, such as a tucked-in stance, can significantly reduce wind resistance and improve your speed. However, it's essential to maintain a comfortable and sustainable position to avoid strain or injury.

Overall, optimizing aerodynamics in cycling requires a holistic approach, considering every aspect of your gear, position, and technique. By focusing on these factors, you can enjoy safer and more efficient rides, even in challenging conditions.