Anti-social behaviour

Just zis Guy, you know? ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

> it's amazing how often problems on the motorway melt away before you
> reach them when you're travelling at a steady 70.

You'll note my email address.
I'm used to travelling on motorways at around/slightly below the 70 limit.

Personally, I find it much more stressful *not* to be able to squeeze a bit
on to get past that wagon before he's going to want to pull out, or any of
a dozen other similar scenarios.

JohnB ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

>> > See, you mock those who may be intimidated on the roads.

>> No, John. I mock you personally. Because you deserve it.

> Attack the person, not the issue.

The issue's not as funny as you.

Peter Amey wrote:
> MrBitsy wrote:

>> Yes we need reasonable speed limits. Yes, we need to deal with people
>> who speed dangerously. What appears to be happening is a loss of
>> respect for the way speeding is currently being tackled. Its no good
>> going after people for a few MPH over the limit when it is OTHER bad
>> driving habits that are doing the damage!
>>

> From your friends the Institute of Advance Motorists website:
>
> "It must be remembered that speed limits are exactly that. Limits - not
> targets. Advanced drivers use their skill and awareness to decide when
> they should impose their own speed limits, below the statutory speed
> limits depending on the circumstances. Advanced drivers never speed, and
> are not above the law."
>
> So we can all agree that if exceeding speed limits is wrong for
> advanced, elite drivers it must be wrong for everyone else. If it is
> wrong then there can't be any problem enforcing the law against it.
> Right that's that one settled, let's forget about speed cameras and
> start thinking about what else we can do as well to improve things.

Oh, but that doesn't apply to MrTitsy because he's the elite of the
elite - he's an instructor, and able to determine other's capabilities
by paranormal remote seeing, and also he can't control the speed of his
car to withn +/-5mph or so at 30mph.

--
Trevor Barton

Adrian wrote:

> JohnB ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
> saying :

> > Attack the person, not the issue.

> The issue's not as funny as you.

The issue of how speeding vehicles affect others is serious.
Shame you never understood it.

Its the subject that gets mentioned most by parents who wish their
children to ride bikes and by adults who consider taking up cycling.

John B

Alistair J Murray wrote:

> The Montana experience proves it.

You have already been asked for a respectable cite on this and you have
not responded.

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

Alistair J Murray wrote:
[snip lots]
> There are many roads in the North of Scotland which combine excellent
> sightlines, decent engineering, a near total lack of traffic, motor or
> otherwise and often no residents to notice any noise; there the NSL is
> needlessly low.
>
> I cannot think of any road where the limit is too high.

Almost nothing to disagree with there except the redundant last nine words.
--

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 16:37:31 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Speed limits are society's way of communicating one of the many
>>> limits it is prepared to accept on the danger posed by motor
>>> traffic.

>> I am a member of society and they aren't *my* way of
>> communicating..!

> If you check the Road Traffic Act, I think you'll find they are.
> Your unwillingness to accept the law notwithstanding, that is the
> rule as it stands. Feel free to vote for any party which promises
> to do away with limits (if you can find one).

I'm not advocating doing away with limits, just to change the blind view
that they are the panacea to road problems.

Besides, voting never changed anything. Politicians will do what they
want, regardless of the wishes of the electorate.

Ivor

At 08 Jun 2005 16:31:42 GMT, message
<[email protected]> was posted by
Adrian <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
following:

>Personally, I find it much more stressful *not* to be able to squeeze a bit
>on to get past that wagon before he's going to want to pull out, or any of
>a dozen other similar scenarios.

So drop back. My car is easily capable of double the speed limit on
any British road, and I drop back, too. Mostly. Nobody's perfect.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

At Wed, 8 Jun 2005 18:15:19 +0100, message
<[email protected]> was posted by "Ivor Jones"
<[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
following:

>> Your unwillingness to accept the law notwithstanding, that is the
>> rule as it stands. Feel free to vote for any party which promises
>> to do away with limits (if you can find one).

>I'm not advocating doing away with limits, just to change the blind view
>that they are the panacea to road problems.

Interestingly, the only people I see suggesting that they are, seem to
be opponents of enforcement who then go on to bang on about how this
view is false...

>Besides, voting never changed anything. Politicians will do what they
>want, regardless of the wishes of the electorate.

The secret is: elect different politicians.

Guy
--

On 06/08/2005 17:05:47 Adrian <[email protected]> wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? ([email protected]) gurgled happily,
> sounding much like they were saying :

>> LOL! Actually I can keep to the speed limit without using the speedo.
>> Well, I need the speedo once, to set the cruise control, but after that
>> the car does it unaided :)

> Does it keep an eye on the hazards around you and adjust it's speed
> downwards automatically, too?

> I don't have cruise on my current car - but if I did, I wouldn't use it.
> Unsafe on busy roads.

Would you use Speed Control?

--
Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk

On 08 Jun 2005 16:05:47 GMT, Adrian <[email protected]> dropped
the following oil-slick:

>I don't have cruise on my current car - but if I did, I wouldn't use it.
>Unsafe on busy roads.

You either don't know how it works or you don't know how to use it.
--
gomez
(not is hot to reply)

JohnB ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

> The issue of how speeding vehicles affect others is serious.
> Shame you never understood it.

I understand it far better than I think you do, John.

> Its the subject that gets mentioned most by parents who wish their
> children to ride bikes and by adults who consider taking up cycling.

Yes, but they don't *mean* "speeding". What they *mean* is "lack of
consideration to other road users" or, if you want to think in terms of
licence endorsements "Driving without due care and attention".

I look forward to you inventing the "DWDC&A" camera.

Just zis Guy, you know? ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

>>Personally, I find it much more stressful *not* to be able to squeeze
>>a bit on to get past that wagon before he's going to want to pull out,
>>or any of a dozen other similar scenarios.

> So drop back. My car is easily capable of double the speed limit on
> any British road, and I drop back, too. Mostly. Nobody's perfect.

But if I drop back, I don't have the momentum to get up that hill that's
coming in fourth, so I'll have to drop back to third, and by the time I get
to the top, I'll be in *everybody's* way at about 40.

Buck (ian@*remove*trikesandstuff.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

> Would you use Speed Control?

Possibly. Initially.

Would I ***** about with resetting it every time I went through a change of
limit? Very unlikely.

Would I decide it was a useless distracting gimmick within the first week?
Probably.

Would I then leave it set either off or permanently to 95 or so? Almost
certainly.

gomez ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

>>I don't have cruise on my current car - but if I did, I wouldn't use it.
>>Unsafe on busy roads.

> You either don't know how it works or you don't know how to use it.

You're wrong on both counts. My velocity is very rarely constant for long
enough to make it worth engaging.

At 08 Jun 2005 18:35:24 GMT, message
<[email protected]> was posted by
Adrian <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
following:

>>>Personally, I find it much more stressful *not* to be able to squeeze
>>>a bit on to get past that wagon before he's going to want to pull out,
>>>or any of a dozen other similar scenarios.

>> So drop back. My car is easily capable of double the speed limit on
>> any British road, and I drop back, too. Mostly. Nobody's perfect.

>But if I drop back, I don't have the momentum to get up that hill that's
>coming in fourth, so I'll have to drop back to third, and by the time I get
>to the top, I'll be in *everybody's* way at about 40.

Hey, I know that feeling! Keep your line, don't feel guilty, remember
you have as much right to be there as they do; the "delay" to their
journey will last only until they catch up with the next traffic
jam...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Just zis Guy, you know? ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

>>But if I drop back, I don't have the momentum to get up that hill
>>that's coming in fourth, so I'll have to drop back to third, and by
>>the time I get to the top, I'll be in *everybody's* way at about 40.

> Hey, I know that feeling! Keep your line, don't feel guilty, remember
> you have as much right to be there as they do; the "delay" to their
> journey will last only until they catch up with the next traffic
> jam...

Well, no, it'll last only until the hill flattens out and I get held up by
every wagon that's I overtook over the past ten miles but who've just been
trying to get past me up the hill, causing everything else to try and pile
into L3.

And all because some *** in a beige Micra couldn't figure out what L1 is
for.

On 08 Jun 2005 18:38:34 GMT, Adrian <[email protected]> dropped
the following oil-slick:

>gomez ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
>were saying :
>
>>>I don't have cruise on my current car - but if I did, I wouldn't use it.
>>>Unsafe on busy roads.

>> You either don't know how it works or you don't know how to use it.

>You're wrong on both counts. My velocity is very rarely constant for long
>enough to make it worth engaging.

That is different from saying it is unsafe.
--
gomez
(not is hot to reply)
"The progress of the kart is more important than its direction"

At 08 Jun 2005 18:33:38 GMT, message
<[email protected]> was posted by
Adrian <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
following:

>I look forward to you inventing the "DWDC&A" camera.

He can't, I already patented the idea: it's called the Twatso. All I
need to do is find enough imps...

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

At 08 Jun 2005 18:51:32 GMT, message
<[email protected]> was posted by
Adrian <[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
following:

>>>But if I drop back, I don't have the momentum to get up that hill
>>>that's coming in fourth, so I'll have to drop back to third, and by
>>>the time I get to the top, I'll be in *everybody's* way at about 40.

>> Hey, I know that feeling! Keep your line, don't feel guilty, remember
>> you have as much right to be there as they do; the "delay" to their
>> journey will last only until they catch up with the next traffic
>> jam...

>Well, no, it'll last only until the hill flattens out and I get held up by
>every wagon that's I overtook over the past ten miles but who've just been
>trying to get past me up the hill, causing everything else to try and pile
>into L3.

*WHOOSH*, as they say!

Oh Adrian, you disappoint me ;-)

Guy