Anti-social behaviour

MrBitsy wrote:

> A good driver is driving defensivly at all times, therefore they can't
> increase anything just because a pedestrian is ahead. The only person who
> can do extra to remain safe is the pedestrian - maybe by not crossing the
> road while on the phone, or riding a bike, or listening to loud music.

Hummm, includes drivers and cyclists using walkmans too!

Going by the report in this weeks MCN its getting worse, a motorcyclist
was deemed partly to blame for being hit over a metre from the centre
line on HIS side of the road, buy a (insert suitable descriptive) car
driver and as a result lost a large chunk of the comp!

Geoff Lane wrote:
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>>
>>You think? It's precisely the claim made by TRL in a study comparing
>>the collision risk and severity on different types of roads. They
>>concluded that for any given road type, both probability and severity
>>of collisions rose with mean speed.

> And that claim is one of many that Paul Smith (of SafeSpeed) has shown to
> be false. Take a look at http://www.safespeed.org.uk/trlfudge.html

Cloff!!!

--
Tony

Anon

At 12 Jun 2005 15:17:53 GMT, message
<[email protected]> was posted by Geoff Lane
<[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the
following:

>> You think? It's precisely the claim made by TRL in a study comparing
>> the collision risk and severity on different types of roads. They
>> concluded that for any given road type, both probability and severity
>> of collisions rose with mean speed.

>And that claim is one of many that Paul Smith (of SafeSpeed) has shown to
>be false. Take a look at http://www.safespeed.org.uk/trlfudge.html

LOL! You do realise that Smith has "proved" we would have the same
fatality rate if we all drove at 12mph, by reference to a formula
relating fatality to the fourth power of speed, don't you?

His argument against it is that "faster roads are safer". The falsity
of that rebuttal is obvious: with no right turns, separated traffic,
crash barriers, few junctions, long sightlines and wide lanes it would
be incredible if motorways were not safer than urban roads. It's
amazing that motorway drivers manage to crash at all, they must be
really working at it! But where you take urban single carriageways
and compare them with NSL single carriageways, you find that the NSL
single carriageways have a much higher incidence of severe collisions.

Smith's comments are an example of proof by assertion.

It is incredible to me the extent to which some drivers resist the
idea that, all other things being equal, the probability and severity
of collisions will rise with speed. Mr. Newton described the reasons
long ago.

>Whether the speed of others is at fault is almost irrelevant. If you are
>not making adequate progress, you are a danger to others.

The problem, of course, is that the speedophiles take this to mean
that anybody moving at or below the speed limit is a danger...

>For this
>reason, failing to make adequate progress is a major failure point on the
>driving test and grounds for prosecution for driving without due care and
>attention.

LOL! In a way that speeding is not, yes?

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

"Geoff Lane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:

> >>That's a completely erroneous generalisation.

> > You think? It's precisely the claim made by TRL in a study comparing
> > the collision risk and severity on different types of roads. They
> > concluded that for any given road type, both probability and severity
> > of collisions rose with mean speed.

> And that claim is one of many that Paul Smith (of SafeSpeed) has shown to
> be false. Take a look at http://www.safespeed.org.uk/trlfudge.html

Paul Smith was a regular poster on this and other newsgroups. Anyone quoting
him as a source of reliable information needs to look up the word
"objective".

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> LOL! You do realise that Smith has "proved" we would have the same
> fatality rate if we all drove at 12mph, by reference to a formula
> relating fatality to the fourth power of speed, don't you?

---
Strangely, I read that SafeSpeed release as a tongue-in-cheek
demonstration of the fallacy of the "speed uber alles" regime imposed by
the authorities.

That said, you do realise that Mr. Smith has issued a challenge to the
pro-camera lobby that remains unanswered? If scameras were really
demonstrably beneficial to road safety, I'd have thought the authorities
etc. would jump at the chance - but they haven't and their silence speaks
volumes. If you (or anyone else) thinks that Paul Smith is talking
baloney, you can take the matter up on the SafeSpeed forums
(http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/), where you'll even find traffic
police officers participating in the debate.

> It is incredible to me the extent to which some drivers resist the
> idea that, all other things being equal, the probability and severity
> of collisions will rise with speed. Mr. Newton described the reasons
> long ago.

---
It is incredible to me the extent to which pro-scamera propaganda has
brainwashed the public to believe the probability of collision rises with
speed. Pure physics doesn't account for the true factors in road safety,
but I'll go with Mr. Newton for a minute. Consider two billiard balls
both heading for the same spot at the same speed but will arrive at that
spot a tenth of a second apart. There is a limiting speed at which a
collision will occur. However, that limit is a maximum speed at or below
which the collision will happen. Above that speed, the balls will miss.
So, going back to Mr. Newton and applying your logic, it is quite obvious
that the probability of collision decreases with speed because the
potential colliders occupy the collision zone for less time.

I know that you're going to say "that's absurd - that just doesn't work
for road traffic." However, it is just as valid as your assertion and it
does illustrate the impotence of physics alone to determine whether an
RTC will occur.

The most important factors in road safety are human ones. Current policy
is sending very dangerous and completely wrong messages to the public:

1. Your primary responsibility to road safety is to obey the speed limit.
2. You will be safe if you do not exceed the speed limit.

Notice that there is nothing in that about reading the road and hazard
awareness, seeking to better your driving skills, COAST, etc. Just
encouragement to drive brainlessly at exactly the speed limit no matter
whether that speed is safe.

>>Whether the speed of others is at fault is almost irrelevant. If you
>>are not making adequate progress, you are a danger to others.

> The problem, of course, is that the speedophiles take this to mean
> that anybody moving at or below the speed limit is a danger...

---
Oh dear, I'm surprised that you didn't spell it "spaedophiles"!
Propaganda aside, the entire point is that there is a speed that is
safest for any particular driving situation. Sometimes that speed will be
slower than the speed limit; sometimes faster. However, it is less
frequent that the safest speed *is* the speed limit. This shouldn't
surprise because speed limits are semi-arbitrary values set without
knowledge of the conditions at the time of the actual journey (variable
limits, e.g. the M25 excepted). Yet, the authorities cling to speed
limits like the Holy Grail of road safety, and to the exclusion of proper
safety factors - and over 5,000 have needlessly died because of that.

>>For this reason, failing to make adequate progress is a major failure
>>point on the driving test and grounds for prosecution for driving
>>without due care and attention.

> LOL! In a way that speeding is not, yes?

Well, yes! Speeding alone is not grounds for prosecution for driving
without due care and attention. A prosecution for driving without due
care and attention would fail unless it was shown that your speed was
dangerous, and not merely in excess of the limit.

Let's be quite clear on this. Speeding is unlawful and if you speed on
your driving test, you will fail. However, the big problem with current
policy, based on the false "speed kills" mantra, is that they're
concentrating exclusively on whether you travel faster than some abitrary
datum *to the exclusion of real factors*. For example, traffic police
have been replaced by Gatsos and many constabularies have now done away
entirely with their traffic divisions - handing the role over to their
local "safety" camera partnership. Once an expedient way of bringing
dangerous and careless drivers to task, speeding has become the bee-all
and end-all and dangerous drivers can now wreak their carnage in near
certainty of not being caught provided they don't speed near automatic
detection equipment.

If your post wasn't so indicative of how the the public have become duped
by pro-scamera propaganda, I would ROFLMA right now. However, it's no
laughing matter. People are dying because of current policy.

What we now have are near-autonomous organisations that must prey on
motorists to survive. That is, revenue generation must come first on
their agenda. Thus, they'll spin and connive to justify their existence
just as the tobacco companies did against mounting evidence that they too
were killing people.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Geoff Lane wrote:

> That said, you do realise that Mr. Smith has issued a challenge to the
> pro-camera lobby that remains unanswered? If scameras were really
> demonstrably beneficial to road safety, I'd have thought the authorities
> etc. would jump at the chance - but they haven't and their silence speaks
> volumes.

I don't believe the authorities have responded to David Icke's warning
that the world is being run by 12 ft lizards who have shape shifted into
human form. Their silence speaks volumes too. I would suggest the same
volumes.

> ---
> It is incredible to me the extent to which pro-scamera propaganda has
> brainwashed the public to believe the probability of collision rises with
> speed. Pure physics doesn't account for the true factors in road safety,
> but I'll go with Mr. Newton for a minute. Consider two billiard balls
> both heading for the same spot at the same speed but will arrive at that
> spot a tenth of a second apart. There is a limiting speed at which a
> collision will occur. However, that limit is a maximum speed at or below
> which the collision will happen. Above that speed, the balls will miss.
> So, going back to Mr. Newton and applying your logic, it is quite obvious
> that the probability of collision decreases with speed because the
> potential colliders occupy the collision zone for less time.
>
> I know that you're going to say "that's absurd - that just doesn't work
> for road traffic." However, it is just as valid as your assertion and it
> does illustrate the impotence of physics alone to determine whether an
> RTC will occur.

I think you need to learn a little about physics and statistical
mechanics. The problem you pose leads to all sorts of phenomena which
demonstrate beyond doubt that the frequency of collisions increases with
velocity. For example the two particle collision rate in gases is
proportional to the square root of the temperature and the temperature
is proportional to the square of the mean particle velocity. Thus
Newtonian physics denies your conclusions from your model.

--
Tony

Anon

At Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:33:33 +0100, message
<[email protected]> was posted by Tony Raven
<[email protected]>, including some, all or none of the following:

>I don't believe the authorities have responded to David Icke's warning
>that the world is being run by 12 ft lizards who have shape shifted into
>human form. Their silence speaks volumes too. I would suggest the same
>volumes.

Cloff!

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> That said, you do realise that Mr. Smith has issued a challenge to
>> the pro-camera lobby that remains unanswered? If scameras were really
>> demonstrably beneficial to road safety, I'd have thought the
>> authorities etc. would jump at the chance - but they haven't and
>> their silence speaks volumes.
>>

> I don't believe the authorities have responded to David Icke's warning
> that the world is being run by 12 ft lizards who have shape shifted
> into human form. Their silence speaks volumes too. I would suggest
> the same volumes.

---
AFAICT, you're comparing chalk with cheese. AIUI, David Icke has neither
presented hard evidence nor *challenged* the authorities to open debate.
He has merely related conspiracy theories and warnings that (AFAICT)
don't even have supporting motive. OTOH, Paul Smith has spent thousands
of hours researching his topic and widely published his evidence and
conclusions. He has given the pro-camera lobby every opportunity to
disprove his findings - yet those authorities seek to counter Mr. Smith
with propaganda, not facts, and have declined meet in open debate of a
subject that concerns every road user in the country. Further, at least
one scamera partnership has even failed to meet its obligation under the
Freedom of Information regulations to disclose the type of facts that all
scamera partnerships would rather hide.

>> ---
>> It is incredible to me the extent to which pro-scamera propaganda has
>> brainwashed the public to believe the probability of collision rises
>> with speed. Pure physics doesn't account for the true factors in road
>> safety, but I'll go with Mr. Newton for a minute. Consider two
>> billiard balls both heading for the same spot at the same speed but
>> will arrive at that spot a tenth of a second apart. There is a
>> limiting speed at which a collision will occur. However, that limit
>> is a maximum speed at or below which the collision will happen. Above
>> that speed, the balls will miss. So, going back to Mr. Newton and
>> applying your logic, it is quite obvious that the probability of
>> collision decreases with speed because the potential colliders occupy
>> the collision zone for less time.
>>
>> I know that you're going to say "that's absurd - that just doesn't
>> work for road traffic." However, it is just as valid as your
>> assertion and it does illustrate the impotence of physics alone to
>> determine whether an RTC will occur.

> I think you need to learn a little about physics and statistical
> mechanics. The problem you pose leads to all sorts of phenomena which
> demonstrate beyond doubt that the frequency of collisions increases
> with velocity. For example the two particle collision rate in gases
> is proportional to the square root of the temperature and the
> temperature is proportional to the square of the mean particle
> velocity. Thus Newtonian physics denies your conclusions from your
> model.

---
And I think you really ought to stop comparing chalk and cheese. In the
system you propose, the particles are allowed to move at random in three
dimensions. In a road system, the "particles" are constrained to clearly-
defined, two-dimensional paths.

Assume that we're looking at an intersection that carries thirty cars per
minute on each of two roads and consider an instant in time. Assume also
that each vehicle is fifteen feet long, so 30 cars occupy 450 feet of
road. At 15 feet per second, the traffic is moving at 900 feet per minute
and so there is a probability of 0.5 (450/900) for each road that a car
will occupy the intersection. A collision occurs when two cars, i.e. a
car from each road, occupies the intersection at the same time. So,
that's 0.5 x 0.5 = 0.25. That is, at 15 feet per second, there is a one
in four chance of collision. Now increase the speed to 30 feet per
second, or 1800 feet per minute. The cars still occupy 450 feet of the
road and so there is a 0.25 (450/1800) probability for each road that a
car will occupy the intersection, and thus a 0.25 x 0.25 = 0.0625
probability of collision. That is, at 30 feet per second there is a one
in sixteen chance of collision. So, doubling the speed decreases the
chance of collision by a factor of four.

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Geoff Lane wrote:
> Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>>> That said, you do realise that Mr. Smith has issued a challenge to
>>> the pro-camera lobby that remains unanswered? If scameras were
>>> really demonstrably beneficial to road safety, I'd have thought the
>>> authorities etc. would jump at the chance - but they haven't and
>>> their silence speaks volumes.
>>>

>> I don't believe the authorities have responded to David Icke's
>> warning that the world is being run by 12 ft lizards who have shape
>> shifted into human form. Their silence speaks volumes too. I would
>> suggest the same volumes.

> ---
> AFAICT, you're comparing chalk with cheese. AIUI, David Icke has
> neither presented hard evidence nor *challenged* the authorities to
> open debate. He has merely related conspiracy theories and warnings
> that (AFAICT) don't even have supporting motive. OTOH, Paul Smith has
> spent thousands of hours researching his topic and widely published
> his evidence and conclusions. He has given the pro-camera lobby every
> opportunity to disprove his findings - yet those authorities seek to
> counter Mr. Smith with propaganda, not facts, and have declined meet
> in open debate of a subject that concerns every road user in the
> country. Further, at least one scamera partnership has even failed to
> meet its obligation under the Freedom of Information regulations to
> disclose the type of facts that all scamera partnerships would rather
> hide.

I suspect that if and when Paul Smith has some original evidence then he
will get a hearing. AFAICT at the moment his arguments simply try to rubbish
other people evidence. Besides which he's one person with, AIUI, a personal
agenda.

Geoff Lane wrote:

> ---
> AFAICT, you're comparing chalk with cheese. AIUI, David Icke has neither
> presented hard evidence nor *challenged* the authorities to open debate.
> He has merely related conspiracy theories and warnings that (AFAICT)
> don't even have supporting motive. OTOH, Paul Smith has spent thousands
> of hours researching his topic and widely published his evidence and
> conclusions.

Try a Google on David Icke and lizards. Paul Smith hasn't even managed
to publish a single book yet on his research and theories. Compare that
with David Icke's output - http://snipurl.com/fj4p. The only difference
is you don't believe David Icke but you want to believe Paul Smith.

> ---
> And I think you really ought to stop comparing chalk and cheese. In the
> system you propose, the particles are allowed to move at random in three
> dimensions. In a road system, the "particles" are constrained to clearly-
> defined, two-dimensional paths.

I think you should give up on any ideas of a career in physics. The
rules hold in both two and three dimensional systems. Collision
frequency increases with velocity irrespective of whether your particles
are made of chalk or cheese.

--
Tony

Anon

I submit that on or about Sun, 12 Jun 2005 19:03:19 +0000 (UTC), the
person known to the court as "Brimstone" <[email protected]> made
a statement (<[email protected]> in
Your Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>I suspect that if and when Paul Smith has some original evidence then he
>will get a hearing. AFAICT at the moment his arguments simply try to rubbish
>other people evidence.

It would be interesting to know if he's managed to get anything
published in peer-reviewed journals. Not that this is a guarantee of
infallibility, but it does tend to weed out the more obvious loonies.

I suspect that he won't be getting a hearing until he stops trying to
claim that an increase in the fatality rate for motorcyclists is the
fault of cameras, though.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Just zis Guy, you know? ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

> It is not "the occasional wuss". Fear of traffic is one of the most
> consistent reasons cited by parents for not allowing their children to
> walk or cycle to school.

Mmmm. Who then proceed to make it FAR worse by taking their little darlings
1/4 of a mile in a 4x4 roughly the size of a terraced house, then double-
parking it in places with poor visibility, so you can chat to the other
Mummies.

I submit that on or about 12 Jun 2005 19:25:25 GMT, the person known
to the court as Adrian <[email protected]> made a statement
(<[email protected]> in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>> It is not "the occasional wuss". Fear of traffic is one of the most
>> consistent reasons cited by parents for not allowing their children to
>> walk or cycle to school.

>Mmmm. Who then proceed to make it FAR worse by taking their little darlings
>1/4 of a mile in a 4x4 roughly the size of a terraced house, then double-
>parking it in places with poor visibility, so you can chat to the other
>Mummies.

Correct. It's called irony.

Reflect for a moment: how often have we been told that cyclists on the
pavement intimidate pedestrians? Why is it hard to accept that the
same will apply when the vehicle is ten or twenty times heavier, many
times larger, noisier and moving much faster?

Guy
--

Tony Raven wrote:
> Geoff Lane wrote:
>

>> That said, you do realise that Mr. Smith has issued a challenge to
>> the pro-camera lobby that remains unanswered? If scameras were really
>> demonstrably beneficial to road safety, I'd have thought the
>> authorities etc. would jump at the chance - but they haven't and
>> their silence speaks volumes.
>>

> I don't believe the authorities have responded to David Icke's warning
> that the world is being run by 12 ft lizards who have shape shifted
> into human form. Their silence speaks volumes too. I would suggest
> the same volumes.

I suggest you keep your head down and avoid antagonising the 12ft lizards,
Tony.

A word to the wise.

Brimstone ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

>> And that claim is one of many that Paul Smith (of SafeSpeed) has
>> shown to be false. Take a look at
>> http://www.safespeed.org.uk/trlfudge.html

> Paul Smith was a regular poster on this and other newsgroups. Anyone
> quoting him as a source of reliable information needs to look up the
> word "objective".

I reckon Smith is actually a very clever counter-propaganda initiative by
the "Speed Kills" brigade.

Just zis Guy, you know? ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

>>> It is not "the occasional wuss". Fear of traffic is one of the most
>>> consistent reasons cited by parents for not allowing their children
>>> to walk or cycle to school.

>>Mmmm. Who then proceed to make it FAR worse by taking their little
>>darlings 1/4 of a mile in a 4x4 roughly the size of a terraced house,
>>then double- parking it in places with poor visibility, so you can
>>chat to the other Mummies.

> Correct. It's called irony.

Not quite. I prefer to think of it as "a bloody good reason to not believe
a word these people witter on about, as they haven't got the common sense
of your average snail"

> Reflect for a moment: how often have we been told that cyclists on the
> pavement intimidate pedestrians? Why is it hard to accept that the
> same will apply when the vehicle is ten or twenty times heavier, many
> times larger, noisier and moving much faster?

How many drivers do you know who deliberately always drive on pavements
because they think it's safer than driving on the road.

No, nor me.

Buck (ian@*remove*trikesandstuff.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

> If ... I am travelling at 35mph on the trike

35mph in a 30mph limit on a bicycle (and I'm including trike in that) is
not explicitly illegal. But is it "safe"?

What's the relative stopping distance of a bicycle from 30mph?

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

> A word to the wise.

That lets me off then ;-)

--
Tony

Anon

Buck (ian@*remove*trikesandstuff.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

> I think this is a fair and considered comment
> it does make a valid point.
> Credit where credit is due.

Thank you.

> I doubt that many people will agree, or at least most will pretend you
> have not said it

You miss "and several will completely misrepresent it"... <grin>

Tony Raven wrote:
> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>>
>> A word to the wise.
>>

> That lets me off then ;-)

Still, what's that big green thing behind y... ...aaaarrgghh!!

--
No Carrier