Anti-supplement bill by Hillary to fail ;)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Mystique, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Mystique

    Mystique Guest

    Yippee!

    Of notice is that when the media reports Hillary's failure then the names she likes most to be known
    by - Hillary or Rodham-Clinton (or both) are never mentioned even in the body of the report.

    Politics - U.S. Newswire Press Releases

    New Study Proves Durbin-Clinton Bill Not Only Useless, But Could Cost Taxpayers $1.6 Billion More in
    Medicare, Says Project: FANS Mon Oct 20,10:49 AM ET

    To: National Desk, Health Reporter

    Contact: Joe Giganti, 703-928-9695, for Project: FANS; e-mail: [email protected]; Web site:
    http://www.ProjectFANS.org

    WASHINGTON, Oct. 20 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The director of Project: FANS, one of America's largest
    grassroots pro-nutritional supplements groups, applauds a new study, "A Study on the Cost Effects of
    Multivitamins for Older Adults," that reports on the positive effects of supplement use for seniors,
    and urges Congress to protect Americans' access to all nutritional supplements. "This study should
    put to rest any debate about the importance and effectiveness that nutritional supplements have on
    the health of all Americans, especially our senior citizens," stated Beth Clay, director of Project:
    FANS. "Instead of being influenced by media-hyped crises and the lobbying efforts of the
    anti-supplement crowd, the U.S. Congress should base their legislative decisions on the science
    these studies have provided."

    The soon-to-be-released study, conducted by the Lewin Group, echoes the results of a 2002 Journal of
    the American Medical Association (news - web sites) (JAMA) study that focused on the benefits of
    nutritional supplement and vitamin use. Both studies encourage all adults to take multivitamins to
    minimize their risk of chronic disease, and state that use of supplements by seniors will save more
    than $1.6 billion dollars in healthcare and taxpayer dollars over the next five years. Specifically,
    the Lewin study states, "the five-year estimate of potential savings (or cost offsets) resulting
    from improved immune functioning and a reduction in the relative risk of coronary artery disease
    through providing older adults with a daily multivitamin is approximately $1.6 billion...The
    evidence strongly indicates that daily use of multivitamins by the elderly is nearly risk-free and
    is potentially associated with significant health improvements...."

    "This is the final nail in the coffin for the Durbin-Clinton bill
    (S.722) that would at best restrict access to the very supplements that this study says will
    improve the health of all Americans, especially our seniors," said Clay. "This study proves
    that S.722 is wrong for our health, wrong for our seniors and wrong for the American
    taxpayers' wallets.

    "Seventy percent of Americans regularly use supplements and they do not want their access to them
    restricted, as most of this proposed new legislation would do," concluded Clay. Project: FANS
    opposes any new legislation that would overturn the existing regulatory framework. Bills like S.722
    seek to replace the current law of the land-DSHEA, passed in 1994-and if passed, would have
    permanent detrimental effects on consumer rights and access to better health.

    http://www.usnewswire.com/

    Tags:

  2. Trent Duke

    Trent Duke Guest

    My dislike of her just got stronger lol.

    Trent

    -- Look and Feel Great! FREE weight loss and anti-aging group. Join now @