Antibiotics and racing

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by Roche, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Roche

Roche New Member

Hey there fellow cyclists,
    I'm currently on Antibiotics for tonsilitus and I was just wondering to what extent people should reduce training and competition and how long they should leave it until returning to full competition after their course of Antibiotics is finished.
    Also, is there any supplement that can be taken to to ensure the symptoms dont come back. My mam was saying that "acidophilus" is good but what would she know??
    Just reading the cyclingnews and I see that there is a very long list of pros on them for flu's and all.....so they stop training or reduce significantly?

Tags:

2. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

If you're ill enough to require antibiotics, then you *shouldn't* be training. It's generally counterproductive, and can have bad long term side effects on your health, this is especially tru if yo have a fever, abnormal muscle aches and pains, or a productice cough or chest pains.

If you only have a sore throat, then it might be possible to do some very *light* cycling (e.g., small chainring, gentle recovery rides). If the symptoms are excaebated with this then you should stop as soon as possible.

The cultures your mum mentioned are found in "live" yoghurts, and can help restore the natural bacteria in your gut that you need, they don't affect the infection.

http://www.cyclecoach.com/illness.htm

Ric