'Antibiotics link' to MMR and autism

J

John

http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standard/article.html?in_article_id=199412&in_page_id=169

'Antibiotics link' to MMR and autism by STEPHEN HULL, Metro Antibiotics may be to blame for hundreds
of children developing autism after having the controversial MMR jab, it has been claimed. More than
two-thirds of youngsters with the condition received four or more antibiotics in their first year, a
survey revealed. It is thought the drugs weakened their immune systems, leaving them unable to
withstand the impact of the triple jab. Look here too...

Jon Tommey, publisher of Autism File magazine, attacked a 'cavalier attitude' to the measles, mumps
and rubella jab and similar inoculations. 'Doctors need to pay more care to whether a child is well
enough to be vaccinated,' he said. Mr Tommey said youngsters received four sets of multiple vaccines
in their first year. 'There is evidence that giving children with weakened immune systems
vaccinations such as MMR could damage sensitive areas, such as chemical pathways in the brain,' he
added. Mr Tommey said his seven-year-old autistic son was perfectly normal but received five courses
of antibiotics in his first year. Shortly afterwards, he had the MMR jab - not long after a course
of antibiotics and while he was ill. The Autism Research Centre said: 'There seems less care these
days about checking to see if a child is fit for immunisation.'

In article <[email protected]>,
john <[email protected]> wrote:
>http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standard/article.html?in_article_id=199412&in_page_id=169
>
>'Antibiotics link' to MMR and autism by STEPHEN HULL, Metro Antibiotics may be to blame for
>hundreds of children developing autism after having the controversial MMR jab, it has been claimed.
>More than two-thirds of youngsters with the condition received four or more antibiotics in their
>first year, a survey revealed.

How does this frequency of antibiotic usage compare to the average child? Which antibiotics? For
what conditions? There might be some useful evidence here, but if there is, I suspect that blaming
the antibiotics puts the cart before the horse. The really interesting question is: why did these
kids need antibiotics??

Of course, if their usage is the same as non-autistic kids, the whole thing is a red herring, which
is what I normally expect from our village idiot Scudamore anyway.

>It is thought the drugs weakened their immune systems, leaving them unable to withstand the impact
>of the triple jab.

"It is thought" by whom? Nitwits who still subscribe to that "antibiotics weaken the immune
system" myth?

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)