'Antibiotics link' to MMR and autism

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by John, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standard/article.html?in_article_id=199412&in_page_id=169

    'Antibiotics link' to MMR and autism by STEPHEN HULL, Metro Antibiotics may be to blame for hundreds
    of children developing autism after having the controversial MMR jab, it has been claimed. More than
    two-thirds of youngsters with the condition received four or more antibiotics in their first year, a
    survey revealed. It is thought the drugs weakened their immune systems, leaving them unable to
    withstand the impact of the triple jab. Look here too...

    Jon Tommey, publisher of Autism File magazine, attacked a 'cavalier attitude' to the measles, mumps
    and rubella jab and similar inoculations. 'Doctors need to pay more care to whether a child is well
    enough to be vaccinated,' he said. Mr Tommey said youngsters received four sets of multiple vaccines
    in their first year. 'There is evidence that giving children with weakened immune systems
    vaccinations such as MMR could damage sensitive areas, such as chemical pathways in the brain,' he
    added. Mr Tommey said his seven-year-old autistic son was perfectly normal but received five courses
    of antibiotics in his first year. Shortly afterwards, he had the MMR jab - not long after a course
    of antibiotics and while he was ill. The Autism Research Centre said: 'There seems less care these
    days about checking to see if a child is fit for immunisation.'

    Tags:

  2. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    john <[email protected]> wrote:
    >http://www.femail.co.uk/pages/standard/article.html?in_article_id=199412&in_page_id=169
    >
    >'Antibiotics link' to MMR and autism by STEPHEN HULL, Metro Antibiotics may be to blame for
    >hundreds of children developing autism after having the controversial MMR jab, it has been claimed.
    >More than two-thirds of youngsters with the condition received four or more antibiotics in their
    >first year, a survey revealed.

    How does this frequency of antibiotic usage compare to the average child? Which antibiotics? For
    what conditions? There might be some useful evidence here, but if there is, I suspect that blaming
    the antibiotics puts the cart before the horse. The really interesting question is: why did these
    kids need antibiotics??

    Of course, if their usage is the same as non-autistic kids, the whole thing is a red herring, which
    is what I normally expect from our village idiot Scudamore anyway.

    >It is thought the drugs weakened their immune systems, leaving them unable to withstand the impact
    >of the triple jab.

    "It is thought" by whom? Nitwits who still subscribe to that "antibiotics weaken the immune
    system" myth?

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
    correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
    shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)