Antihistamines sleep aids harm performance ?

90rpm

Mar 2, 2013
[SIZE= medium]Hi,[/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]I will appreciate your view on the following :)[/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]Do you think that using Antihistamines sleep aids ( Doxylamine[/SIZE][SIZE= 9.5pt][COLOR= black] Succinate 25mg ) the evening before a ride may harm performance ?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]many times that's my only way to assure sufficient sleep before an early morning ride..[/SIZE]

[SIZE= medium]Thanks ! [/SIZE]

Personally a couple of Benadryls (which is basically the equivalent of a Sominex) leaves me really dried out and feeling groggy when I wake up. I wouldn't want to use an antihistamine based sleep aid before a big ride or race. I doubt there's any long term performance impact but I wouldn't want to start my day feeling the way I do after taking over the counter antihistamines.

YMMV,
-Dave

Originally Posted by daveryanwyoming .

Personally a couple of Benadryls (which is basically the equivalent of a Sominex) leaves me really dried out and feeling groggy when I wake up. I wouldn't want to use an antihistamine based sleep aid before a big ride or race. I doubt there's any long term performance impact but I wouldn't want to start my day feeling the way I do after taking over the counter antihistamines.

YMMV,
-Dave
[SIZE= 13px]Just take the damn drugs [/SIZE]
big-smile.png

Its better then to be aggresive and flippy due to sleeplesness or "performance lifestyle"
big-smile.png

Me I usually stay up drinking beer and watching bad movies before a ride (or mountain climb, or something like that) and then maybe just bail the next day (if not alone). But then again I dont have any "obligations" as the whole "club training" thing was described once.
tongue.png

But I still have fun!
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png

Originally Posted by 90rpm .

[SIZE= medium]( Doxylamine[/SIZE][SIZE= 9.5pt][COLOR= black] Succinate 25mg ) the evening before a ride may harm performance ?[/COLOR][/SIZE]
I hate to admit that I am a Doxylamine[SIZE= 9.5pt][COLOR= black] Succinate 25mg[/COLOR][/SIZE] addict for about 5 years and use a pill every night or else I wake up wide awake right at 3 am. I have not found it to be a problem on my performance. I used one last night at 10 pm, woke up at 4 am to get ready for a 7:30 ride and felt great through the ride today.

I have a number of friends that have gone to sleep clinics and end up on strong medicines and feel bad in the morning so I figure I will continue on with the Doxy.

As Dave mentioned I could not do that with Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or I be doing good to sit up right on the couch and in no condition to do a brisk morning ride or training.

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider .

... I could not do that with Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) ..
Yeah if you need sleep meds, especially on a regular basis there are better choices than Diphenhydramine.

YMMV,
-Dave
Thanks Dave.

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider .

I hate to admit that I am a Doxylamine[SIZE= 9.5pt][COLOR= black] Succinate 25mg[/COLOR][/SIZE] addict for about 5 years and use a pill every night or else I wake up wide awake right at 3 am. I have not found it to be a problem on my performance. I used one last night at 10 pm, woke up at 4 am to get ready for a 7:30 ride and felt great through the ride today.

I have a number of friends that have gone to sleep clinics and end up on strong medicines and feel bad in the morning so I figure I will continue on with the Doxy.

As Dave mentioned I could not do that with Diphenhydramine (Benadryl) or I be doing good to sit up right on the couch and in no condition to do a brisk morning ride or training.
Thanks Felt_Rider.
same here.. I won't take it and I'll end up with a 2 hours night sleep only.
I did not actually feel that this harms performance, yet I wanted to give it a loud-thought with you guys..

Yeah if you need sleep meds, especially on a regular basis there are better choices than Diphenhydramine.
Such as ? what's your recommendation ?

Originally Posted by 90rpm .

Such as ? what's your recommendation ?
That's a discussion to have with your doctor or other health care provider but personally I'd either go with something subtle like melatonin or go prescription and avoid drying out my sinuses every time I had sleep issues.

-Dave

That's a discussion to have with your doctor or other health care provider but personally I'd either go with something subtle like melatonin or go prescription and avoid drying out my sinuses every time I had sleep issues.

-Dave
K Thanks :) (I don't have any drying issues)

Vicks not enough for you guys huh?
big-smile.png

I think most sleep problems (at least for me) come from muscle-nerve tension. Vicks (or that Tiger Balm stuff that I cant "score"
big-smile.png
[SIZE= 13px]) can help with that.[/SIZE]

If you have a nervo-thing going on then you probably just need better windows, better matress, better anything in the beginning.

If you decide to go for meds and check your blood every couple of weeks then you can try loooooots of things.
big-smile.png

I tried some muscle relaxants once, they were ok but... I cant drink as much as I want.
big-smile.png

Originally Posted by Volnix .

...I think most sleep problems (at least for me) come from muscle-nerve tension. Vicks (or that Tiger Balm stuff that I cant "score"
big-smile.png
[SIZE= 13px]) can help with that.[/SIZE]...
Sometimes it's sore muscles after some hard workouts but IME the real insomnia issues are closer to what Felt describes of waking up at 2 am with your mind racing which can be related to elevated cortisol levels and isn't really a muscle soreness issue. It can also be a sign that you're pushing it too hard and need some additional recovery time but when I'm in a hard period of training and or racing it happens.

Sometimes it's sore muscles after some hard workouts but IME the real insomnia issues are closer to what Felt describes of waking up at 2 am with your mind racing which can be related to elevated cortisol levels and isn't really a muscle soreness issue. It can also be a sign that you're pushing it too hard and need some additional recovery time but when I'm in a hard period of training and or racing it happens.
Psych-issues? Sure...
big-smile.png
Join another club...
big-smile.png
Maybe talk to a psych-pro too... (Which I am not). Why push too hard?

Btw if you go for sleep aid drugs somebody told me thats its better to go for the ones with longer "semi period" of concentration in your blood and not the ones that "spike" you asleep and then "dissapear" from the bloodstream too quickly. I remember something about "addiction" about that.

But anyway I am no healthcare pro (damn some of them are nasty), just saying stuff I heard or tried, so for the moment... Part-eeey!
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png
big-smile.png

Yes. But of greater concern is where you go once the drug stops having its desired effect (tolerance) and the doses increase.

Go see a doctor.

I am one and went to a sleep physician last week. Same issue for me, after 2 years of zoldipem 6 out of 7 nights.

The key for me seems to be an induced sleep deprivation. Less time in bed, but ultimately more sleep. Started melatonin as the early morning rides are entirely in the dark, thus no benefit of morning sunshine and exercise.

5 days down, no sleeping tablet but a big training session in the morning. If I could get my babies to sleep I'd be laughing (but I'm getting there).

I think you need long term sleep meds, it might be time to see a doctor to find what the underlying issue is.

Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider .

I second melatonin...It really doesn't help me fall asleep, but when I do I feel it's a deeper sleep.
How about your lungs the next day? Coughing? Heavy?