Antilock braking for bicycles

dvt wrote:

> Side note: that's probably why I go through more rear
> brake pads than front. I use the front brakes more often,
> but the rear brakes are used in the conditions that
> accelerate pad wear.

It's because the rear rim gets sprayed with abrasive crud
and the front rim stays fairly clean. I've wrecked a set of
Shimano pads in a single wet road ride. The same pads had
done the previous 18 months with barely any wear.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> dvt wrote:
>
>> Side note: that's probably why I go through more rear
>> brake pads than front. I use the front brakes more often,
>> but the rear brakes are used in the conditions that
>> accelerate pad wear.
>>
> It's because the rear rim gets sprayed with abrasive crud
> and the front rim stays fairly clean. I've wrecked a set
> of Shimano pads in a single wet road ride. The same pads
> had done the previous 18 months with barely any wear.

My rim wear has greatly decreased since I exchanged
the stock pads (Shimano and SRAM) for Kool Stop
"salmon" [1] pads.

[1] <http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html>.