Antioxidants and Pregnancy / Preeclampsia

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Doe, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Doe

    Doe Guest

    Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2004;58(1):8-13. Epub 2004 Feb 25. Related Articles, Links

    Lipid-Soluble Antioxidants and Pregnancy: Maternal Serum Levels of Coenzyme
    Q(10), alpha-Tocopherol and gamma-Tocopherol in Preeclampsia and Normal Pregnancy.

    Palan PR, Shaban DW, Martino T, Mikhail MS.

    Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center/Albert Einstein College of
    Medicine, Bronx, N.Y., USA.

    It has been hypothesized that in preeclampsia, the antioxidant-deficient state may facilitate
    increased attacks of free radicals, which may result in endothelial cell damage. The purpose of this
    study was to investigate the association of three lipid-soluble antioxidants, coenzyme Q(10), alpha-
    tocopherol and gamma-tocopherol, with preeclampsia and normal pregnancy. Serum levels of all three
    antioxidants in 42 women with normal pregnancies, 25 with mild preeclampsia and 28 with severe
    preeclampsia were measured by high-pressure liquid chromatography. A significant decrease was
    observed in serum levels of coenzyme Q(10) and alpha-tocopherol (p < 0.001 for each by the Kruskal-
    Wallis rank test) in women with preeclampsia compared to levels in normal pregnancy. gamma-
    Tocopherol levels were comparable among the different groups. Logistic regression analysis revealed
    significant association between grades of preeclampsia and both serum coenzyme Q(10) and alpha-
    tocopherol levels (p = 0.000 and 0.030, respectively). Coenzyme Q(10) and alpha-tocopherol are
    potent antioxidants, and the decreased levels of these two antioxidants in preeclampsia may alter
    the normal redox balance, thereby reducing the ability of antioxidant defenses to protect against
    free radical damage. This could be a factor in the endothelial cell damage observed in preeclampsia.
    Copyright 2004
    R. Karger AG, Basel

    PMID: 14988604 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

    ------

    Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
    http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

  2. markd

    markd Guest

    And what exactly are we to make of this, how does it relate to any body of theory, to what practical
    use is it, and to what goal can it be useful? Without this information it is but another random
    abstract plucked from the web, one among thousands of such.

  3. Doe

    Doe Guest

    >Subject: Re: Antioxidants and Pregnancy / Preeclampsia
    >From: [email protected]
    >Date: 3/3/2004 8:59 AM Mountain Standard Time
    >
    >And what exactly are we to make of this,

    Me .. ? I believe it speaks to .. preclampsia a problem which many times deals with death of
    the child.

    > how does it relate to any body of theory,

    I believe it relates to a healthy level of antioxidants in the body are associated with a healthier
    outcome at birth.

    >to what practical use is it,

    Keeping women from having stillbirths .. deformed babies and spontaneous abortions ..

    >and to what goal can it be useful?

    Fewer deaths ..

    >Without this information it is but another random abstract plucked from the web, one among
    >thousands of such.

    Without the ABILITY to actually be able to understand even the simplest medical study .. such as the
    one below .. I believe maybe you should find another line of work.. IF this IS your line of work.

[...]

  4. markd

    markd Guest

    Thank you, finally, for providing some motivation for posting abstracts in a seemingly random
    manner. While preggie women among the readers might find it useful to consider, they are left with
    no practical application of the information. We are still at a loss as to what body of theory it
    applies and why it should be read and considered in light of it. You have provided what is
    basically a restatment of the abstract with a bit of expansion. One might add that it is critiful
    for preggie and nursing mothers to often get additional nutrients because of the greater rate at
    which they are depleted from the mother's body, this is an ironclad rule for both mother and docter
    to keep fully in mind.