Any advice about how to achieve momentum from a standstill?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by juf2m, Sep 11, 2004.

1. juf2m

juf2m New Member

I am still very new to cycling, having done 10 rides so far, but although I feel very comfortable on my bike, I have a lot of trouble getting enough momentum to hop onto the seat and start pedalling from a standstill. I feel like an idiot, especially in traffic when I am pushing myself along with one foot several times before finally getting enough of a coast to start riding. It is pretty much impossible if I am at the bottom of the hill, and particularly dangerous if trying to cross a busy country highway.

Does/did anyone else have this problem and how did you fix it?

Many thanks!

Tags:
    haleylx4 likes this.

2. MattLarson

MattLarson New Member

As you pull up to the stop, drop down a couple of gears (move the chain up the cassette) to make starting easier.

Matt

3. Jakebrake

Jakebrake New Member

As Matt had mentioned, shift to an easier gear before you come to a stop. Then, when you start out, place your right foot on the pedal at about the 1-2 O'clock position, push off once with your left foot while pushing downward with your right foot, then stand up and pedal a few strokes to achieve momentum before you sit down and continue pedaling. :)

4. jitteringjr

jitteringjr New Member

This problem will correct itself with time because your balance will improve even if you do start from too big a gear.

5. Greg-O

Greg-O New Member

if you watch group rides, you'll notice that everyone will quickly shift into an easier gear when they hit a stoplight. this allows to you pedal lightly and gradual shift to harder gears and gain speed.

6. davef

davef New Member

At stops I never even get off the seat. One foot unclipped and with toes pointing down, lean the bike over slightly and you should be able to balance yourself on the "unclipped" foot. If not, maybe the seat is too high or the frame is too big for you.

As suggested be in a lower gear and keeping the pedal at about the 10 'o clock position push down with that foot and off you go.

Try some "one-leg" pedalling so that while you are mucking about trying to get that other foot clipped-in in you can still generate forward motion.

Good luck and keeping trying.

7. juf2m

juf2m New Member

Thanks everyone! The gearing in particular I never would have thought of. I really appreciate the suggestions! :)

8. juf2m

juf2m New Member

I just wanted to let you know that I have tried the pedal at 2:00 thing, and it has helped enormously, even at the bottom of a small hill! Between that and the gearing I should be all set.

Many thanks again!:)

9. KMKS

KMKS New Member

I never had this problem until this weekend. I was halfway up a short but very steep hill when i met a (very attractive) rollerblader and a (rather large) bicyclist toiling very slowly up. The path was very narrow at this point and i couldn't pass, so i came to a complete stop to give them a little space to get ahead of me. I wasn't thinking about it at all and once the rollerblader got to the crest i clipped in and started to pedal, not realizing i'm in a really tough gear and my crank doesn't move at all. Over i go w/ my feet clipped in. The rollerblader turns around and yells to me asking if i'm ok. Very, very embarassing. Why is it we always fall when the pretty girls are watching?

10. KMKS

KMKS New Member

edit: *repost*

11. MattLarson

MattLarson New Member

Perhaps because these are the times when we are paying the least attention to what we are doing, owing to the amount being payed to the pretty girls? :D

Matt

12. cydewaze

cydewaze New Member

You forgot to mention that you're on clipless. ;) On the hybrid without the clipless you don't have this problem, right?

13. juf2m

juf2m New Member

Ah but isn't that the best time to fall? The pretty girls think you're much cuter that way than zooming past them.

14. juf2m

juf2m New Member

Ummmm *blush* well yes I do. It's not as bad, but I still had that problem. Momentum is momentum, whether you're clipped in or out...in my case anyway. :D

15. KMKS

KMKS New Member

partly true, she and i had a nice conversation about what a klutz i was when i passed her later.

16. juf2m

juf2m New Member

I am not surprised! :D Klutziness makes people more accessible/easier to approach.

17. renoster

renoster New Member

Lift your butt off your saddle and stand on the pedals. That will give you more downward force on the pedals and will allow you to take off with forward momentum even if your gearing is a gear or two higher than it should be.

18. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

OK, if you want to impress your Friends and get away like a Hare, try this...(You'll need to practice on a Flat road first)

Get into a mid-range gear, not too easy not too hard...

Dismount, stand over the Top Tube..

One foot on the ground, the other on a Pedal at 2 O'Clock...

When you're ready to take off, push UPWARDS with the Foot that's on the Ground, as you grip the Bars Push DOWN with the foot that's on the Pedal..

You can either then push yourself up and back onto the saddle, or remain standing as you pull hard on the bars and downwards on the Pedals..your Body weight will give you extra downward force...

Then when you've reached an ideal speed simply sit back on the saddle...

I always use this method but sometimes I get away so fast I almost run into the rear wheel of anyone in front...

Practice a few starts alone on a flat road to get the hang of it...you'll be amazed at how fast you will accelerate...start with a low (easy gear) and progressively try harder ones as you get good at it...after a while, your gear choice will become second nature...and when you're approaching a red light don't forget you need to be in the gear you're gonna start off with again BEFORE you stop!!

Good luck, and don't forget to report back...
    :p

19. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

hahahah. that's always the case, hope you didn't hurt yourself...

I went riding with a friend a few weeks ago, we took the bikes off the car and started out on a steep hill...I clipped in and pulled away, I looked around as I heard a comotion and a few swear words...he did the same as you except for the fact that he hadn't even started riding...he got on one side of the bike and fell off the other immediately...

Poor bloke....
    :eek:

20. JSWin

JSWin Member

The bottom of a hill. Well yeah you have to anticipate that before you start to climb in. The right gear and all. Stand up on the bike so you can take the hill properly. Sitting down won't get you up there.
    Everyone gets use to it all eventually. This is kind of stuff you learn when you are a kid. We did almost anything and would ride bikes everywhere. Especially up hill.