any advice on bike shoes (how not to fall?)

estolano

Aug 10, 2004
I just got some bike shoes at my local trek store- they seem to work very well- it's a much better workout now. Only problem is, i've already fallen a couple times at stops- once because I couldn't unclip in time for a sudden stop and a second time because the shoes reclipped as I stopped.

Kind of painful, but more embarrassing than anything!

Does anyone have any tips for using bike shoes?

estolano said:
I just got some bike shoes at my local trek store- they seem to work very well- it's a much better workout now. Only problem is, i've already fallen a couple times at stops- once because I couldn't unclip in time for a sudden stop and a second time because the shoes reclipped as I stopped.

This happens to almost everyone when they first start using clipless pedals. It's just a matter of getting used to it. I have a couple of suggestions for you:

1. Clip-out while you're pressing down on the pedal. Not while you're pulling up.

2. Until you're proficient at "clipping-out", clip-out in advance. So you're not tying to unclip at the last second.

Also, if you have adjustable release tension on your pedals, set it as light as you can without having it so light that you're accidentally clipping out all of the time. Good luck!

estolano said:

Suggest you go out for a short ride specifically to practice clipping in and out at stops. Find a quiet level street away from traffic. Get up to speed and stop, unclipping just as the bike rolls to a stop, just before you need to put your foot down. Then repeat a few dozen times with both feet. It may take a couple of specific sessions before you're doing this automatically, but it's worth practicing.

I start unclipping when I begin to slow down, say, coming to a stop. But it all depends on the situation but again, experience is the best teacher.

Trainer or some other stationary position to get hang of getting in and out (loosest tension setting if applicable).

Parking lot or lightly traveled road, when more confident go riding where you please.

Another option for places to practice would be a park or some other grassy area so the falls won't be quite so punishing. Also, I do not know what kind of pedals using, but a common mistake with release systems that require a lateral pivot of the foot (such as Look, Campy, etc.) is to be pulling the foot up while trying to release rather than rotating. In any case, be sure you fully understand the motion that releases from your pedals and then be sure to concentrate on that motion.

Long ago when I first starting using toe clips and straps, the guys at the pro shop that sold me the shoes told me to always pull out the right foot first. That way, they said, I would be more likely NOT to fall to the left, under the wheels of oncoming traffic. Urban legend, I imagine...

Thanks for the advice. No falls since the first day- but i'm being much more cautious/paranoid-- in the high traffic section/mu.tiple stops section of my route, I've switched to using the non-clip side of the pedals. Practicing in grass has been pretty good, also.