Any advice on mad dogs?

ebojorq

Feb 21, 2008
Hi.

I'm a beginner doing about 3-4 1 hour rides a week... I have a serious problem though, there's this very mad dog that chases me every time I pass by its house.

Any suggestion besides taking another route or shooting the animal down?

P.S: I already tried showering the four legged ******* with cold water and it doesn't work

Reactions: haleylx4
ebojorq said:
Hi.

I'm a beginner doing about 3-4 1 hour rides a week... I have a serious problem though, there's this very mad dog that chases me every time I pass by its house.

P.S: I already tried showering the four legged ******* with cold water and it doesn't work
Is it stray, or does it have an owner? If the former, I would contact the authorities about it; if the latter (which seems to be the case by the way to refer to its house), I would try to talk to the owner about the problem.

TheDarkLord said:
Is it stray, or does it have an owner? If the former, I would contact the authorities about it; if the latter (which seems to be the case by the way to refer to its house), I would try to talk to the owner about the problem.
I'll try talking to the owner... I hope he's not the same breed as the dog.

ebojorq said:
I'll try talking to the owner... I hope he's not the same breed as the dog.
If he is the same breed as the dog, you can threaten to take action. You have a right to not be harrassed by the dog when you are on public property, and are not trespassing his property (or threatening the owner). Ask him to put the dog on a leash, or confine it within his property in other ways if it cannot behave itself.

Edited to add: I see that you have put your location as Mexico. Don't know if Mexico has any laws about these things...

On your next ride take a squirt gun or a small spray bottle filled with a weak ammonia water solution. When the dog starts to chase you, spray in his direction. This usually works the first time, however, be ready to sprint like mad if you made the solution too weak. If he still chases you, increase the amount of ammonia until he stops chasing you.

This may sound cruel as the ammonia irritates the dogs nose and eyes, but if it is used in a 50/50 solution or less, it will not do any permanent harm to the dog. This is the same thing that occurs when a dog gets sprayed by a skunk, and most dogs give skunks a wide berth after getting sprayed once. All you are trying to do is let the dog know chasing you can be painful to him.

TheDarkLord said:
If he is the same breed as the dog, you can threaten to take action. You have a right to not be harrassed by the dog when you are on public property, and are not trespassing his property (or threatening the owner). Ask him to put the dog on a leash, or confine it within his property in other ways if it cannot behave itself.

Edited to add: I see that you have put your location as Mexico. Don't know if Mexico has any laws about these things...
That's the problem, man... I don't think we even have a City Dog Pound...

I know I have every right to roll freely, but here the laws don't always work in favor of who they should...

kdelong said:
On your next ride take a squirt gun or a small spray bottle filled with a weak ammonia water solution. When the dog starts to chase you, spray in his direction. This usually works the first time, however, be ready to sprint like mad if you made the solution too weak. If he still chases you, increase the amount of ammonia until he stops chasing you.
That sounds ok... I'm also going to try the ammonia solution... after proving the owner is the same breed as the dog, of course.

Most dogs respond to "NO", so you could try shouting "NO" at it in Spanish. That might work.

Or choose a different route.

Yojimbo_ said:
Most dogs respond to "NO", so you could try shouting "NO" at it in Spanish. That might work.

Or choose a different route.
I tried that also, but this one seems to be deaf.

I find that angry dogs are a good motivation to start my next interval - my heart rate is already up, so I might as well keep it there by pedaling a little harder.

Another trick that has worked pretty well for me is to raise your arm like you're going to throw something at it. Someone did that once while I was riding with them and I laughed at them, but it's worked for me several times.

Guaps said:
I find that angry dogs are a good motivation to start my next interval - my heart rate is already up, so I might as well keep it there by pedaling a little harder.

Another trick that has worked pretty well for me is to raise your arm like you're going to throw something at it. Someone did that once while I was riding with them and I laughed at them, but it's worked for me several times.
That I haven't tried... thanks!

ebojorq said:
Hi.

I bought a small spray can of what I think is pepper spray from an online bike place. I usually talk, then pedal faster, then spray. I have tried spraying twice. Missed the first time and it worked the second time.

Mark

MarkInNC said:
I bought a small spray can of what I think is pepper spray from an online bike place. I usually talk, then pedal faster, then spray. I have tried spraying twice. Missed the first time and it worked the second time.

Mark
Checked... I'll try to find some. Thanks!

I have a similar problem on one my favorite loops near my house. There's a long climb, about a mile and 800 foot rise. About halfway up, an old woman has several rangy dogs that come out after you. After a few passes, they seemed to be relatively harmless, but on that climb I have to keep enough in reserve to sprint past them.

It's fun to take other people on that route. When the dogs come out, they always ask - what's that? I respond as I begin my sprint... That's Eddie!

It is a problem... I do a regular training ride and there is a big black villain sits on a porch in the village of Fontanes until you ride by then careers down the garden intent on ripping your throat out. Fortunately it's a big garden and by the time he gets to the road you are long gone....

Not to treat this flippantly, but I am reminded of the man who took his dog to the vets. 'I'm worried', he said, 'the dog keeps chasing people on bikes. I'm scared he'll kill somebody one day!'

'That's easy to cure', said the vet. 'Just take his bl***y bike off him!'

Mike
:)

JohnO said:
I have a similar problem on one my favorite loops near my house. There's a long climb, about a mile and 800 foot rise. About halfway up, an old woman has several rangy dogs that come out after you. After a few passes, they seemed to be relatively harmless, but on that climb I have to keep enough in reserve to sprint past them.

It's fun to take other people on that route. When the dogs come out, they always ask - what's that? I respond as I begin my sprint... That's Eddie!
That sounds like something my brother would do... I'm still not that good with sprints... I'm barely beginning my cycling career, just quit tobacco and getting back on track to exercise... When I'm able to outsprint the dog, I'll let you know.

ebojorq said:
That sounds like something my brother would do... I'm still not that good with sprints... I'm barely beginning my cycling career, just quit tobacco and getting back on track to exercise... When I'm able to outsprint the dog, I'll let you know.

Isn't this just like a scene from American Flyers? It has been my experience that most dogs don't bite and really can not run very fast for very long, so just speed up. It will become a game after a few rides and you will actually get in better shape because of the exertion. Or you could just do something else.

You could try making friends with it, by giving the dog a treat. If that doesnt work, a good smack on the nose might.