Any Air Free Open Road Reports Yet?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Dennis Pedrick, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. After the great Air Free debate over the holidays, some (many?) people were going to order a set of
    the Open Roads. Did anybody actually get a pair and try them yet?

    Tags:

  2. Geob

    Geob Guest

    [q1]> Did anybody actually get a pair and try them yet?[/q1]

    Ordered mine yesterday. Didn't think to ask how long before delivery.

  3. Geob

    Geob Guest

    [q1]> Did anybody actually get a pair and try them yet?[/q1]

    Ordered mine yesterday. Didn't think to ask how long before delivery.

  4. John

    John Guest

    Ordered and paid for almost seven weeks ago, still awaiting delivery...

  5. Chuck

    Chuck Guest

    Ordered mine on Dec 3. Haven't received them yet!

    Chuck

  6. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > Ordered and paid for almost seven weeks ago, still awaiting delivery...

    Did he make a charge against a charge-card already? I don't mind waiting (though Hugh maybe should
    have told me!) but I don't want to fund their R&D without knowing about it up front.

    (Communicate! Communicate!)

  7. John

    John Guest

    [email protected] (GeoB) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Ordered and paid for almost seven weeks ago, still awaiting delivery...
    >
    > Did he make a charge against a charge-card already? I don't mind waiting (though Hugh maybe should
    > have told me!) but I don't want to fund their R&D without knowing about it up front.
    >
    > (Communicate! Communicate!)

    Charged on Dec. 6th...

  8. Jj

    Jj Guest

    That pretty much settles it for me. I had been mildly interested in a pair of Air Free tires but I
    flat refuse to do business with any company that charges your card then does not ship the product.
    Considering the big announcement that they were finally ready to ship the new tires (about a year
    after promised) then to take orders, charge your customers, then not ship the product is pure BS and
    to me shows a complete lack of integrity by Hugh and his company. NO WAY I will ever have a set of
    these on my bike now.

    > > > Ordered and paid for almost seven weeks ago, still awaiting
    delivery...

    > > Did he make a charge against a charge-card already? I don't mind waiting (though Hugh maybe
    > > should have told me!) but I don't want to fund their R&D without knowing about it up front.
    > >
    > > (Communicate! Communicate!)
    >
    > Charged on Dec. 6th...

  9. On the surface there does appear to be something wrong with that picture. Companies who collect
    payments and then delay shipping the goods (should) be refunding the Interest your $ would have
    earned had it stayed in your bank account...maybe just a few pennies, but when you are talking $32.
    X 2 for tires delayed months...then it adds up. If this continues happening, then Air Free should
    request only a deposit of a few dollars to secure the order (with full payment) due when goods are
    received. To have people pissed off and saying why on a Public Newsgroup cannot be very healthy for
    any company. Air Free needs to do some damage control before it gets worse. There may end up being a
    slew of happy campers reporting next week or next month their new Air Free tires are great...but it
    will not remove the negative comments posted here from the back of your mind when you think about
    buying the tires in the future....IMHO
    ---------------------------------
    "jj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > That pretty much settles it for me. I had been mildly interested in a pair of Air Free tires but I
    > flat refuse to do business with any company that charges your card then does not ship the product.
    > Considering the big announcement that they were finally ready to ship the new tires (about a year
    > after promised) then to take orders, charge your customers, then not ship the product is pure BS
    > and to me shows a complete lack of integrity by Hugh and his company. NO WAY I will ever have a
    > set of these on my bike now.

    > delivery...
    > > >
    > > > Did he make a charge against a charge-card already? I don't mind waiting (though Hugh maybe
    > > > should have told me!) but I don't want to fund their R&D without knowing about it up front.
    > > >
    > > > (Communicate! Communicate!)
    > >
    > > Charged on Dec. 6th...

  10. John Rooker

    John Rooker Guest

    There has to be another side to this story. Hugh has always seemed tobe pretty upfront with all of
    us. I'd like to hear his side of the story before we all write him and his company off.

    On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 16:10:27 GMT, "jj" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That pretty much settles it for me. I had been mildly interested in a pair of Air Free tires but I
    >flat refuse to do business with any company that charges your card then does not ship the product.
    >Considering the big announcement that they were finally ready to ship the new tires (about a year
    >after promised) then to take orders, charge your customers, then not ship the product is pure BS
    >and to me shows a complete lack of integrity by Hugh and his company. NO WAY I will ever have a set
    >of these on my bike now.

    >delivery...
    >> >
    >> > Did he make a charge against a charge-card already? I don't mind waiting (though Hugh maybe
    >> > should have told me!) but I don't want to fund their R&D without knowing about it up front.
    >> >
    >> > (Communicate! Communicate!)
    >>
    >> Charged on Dec. 6th...

    ---------------
    John Rooker Rochester, NY RANS Stratus
    ----------------

  11. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > Considering the big announcement that they were finally ready to ship the new tires (about a year
    > after promised) then to take orders, charge your customers, then not ship the product is pure BS
    > and to me shows a complete lack of integrity by Hugh and his company. NO WAY I will ever have a
    > set of these on my bike now.

    Even though their product did not work for me, I would never consider Hugh to lack in integrity at
    all. He is terribly honest and a very nice man to deal with...even with returns!

    As stated by someone else, we need to hear his side before making a judgement.

    Derek

  12. Rincon

    Rincon Guest

    Yesterday I sent an email to Hugh asking why he hasn't addressed the concerns of the recumbent
    newsgroup and he hasn't replied yet.

    On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:28:11 GMT, Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Considering the big announcement that they were finally ready to ship the new tires (about a year
    >> after promised) then to take orders, charge your customers, then not ship the product is pure BS
    >> and to me shows a complete lack of integrity by Hugh and his company. NO WAY I will ever have a
    >> set of these on my bike now.
    >
    >Even though their product did not work for me, I would never consider Hugh to lack in integrity at
    >all. He is terribly honest and a very nice man to deal with...even with returns!
    >
    >As stated by someone else, we need to hear his side before making a judgement.
    >
    >Derek

  13. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > As stated by someone else, we need to hear his side before making a judgement.

    I have only said he should have told me if he knew he couldn't ship now. I would still have ordered,
    but I also could have made plans. Maybe he is just batching orders to get a better per-unit cost
    when he has them molded. Unless he does his own molding, I dunno. On a new and unique product I can
    accept some of this.. but I want to be told up-front. I am still excited about the possibility of
    riding w/o getting flats.

    In my systems analyst work and consulting, I have learned "Communicate communicate communicate". It
    is in the vacuum that doubts grow.

    I asked him to tell me in general terms when we could expect the 26" tires. He didn't give me a firm
    date and I didn't expect one. He did confirm it would be sooner than later. I asked "A year? Six
    months?" and he gave me an emphatic "Oh, no! Sooner!" But if he can't make it I will be fine with
    that, as long as he communicates with us.

    He told me some of the time-consuming difficulties in switching his mold production over from the 16
    & 20" tires to the larger size. Going from 16" to 20" was lots easier than going from 20" to 26". He
    has some parts.. blocks, or something involved in making/using the molds that he has to start over
    and build bigger ones for the next series of tires.

    New anything takes more time and money than you might expect. There are lots of opportunities for
    suppliers or subcontractors to drop the ball, people can get sick, equipment can break, testing may
    reveal weaknesses that need re-designed.

  14. He may have been burned out after spending 3 weeks defending his tires on this NG, we all sorta
    ganged up and wiped the floor with his tires there for a while. Maybe he figures he needed a rest
    before returning for another round of defending his tires, some of us (never me) do get a bit
    critical & nasty now and then.
    news:[email protected]...

  15. In article <[email protected]>, Rincon <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Yesterday I sent an email to Hugh asking why he hasn't addressed the concerns of the recumbent
    >newsgroup and he hasn't replied yet.

    I ordered a tire. After no sign of it much later (shipping should have been 3 days) I sent an
    E-mail, got no answer and phoned.

    He says that his manufacturer ran out of the ingredients for the new tires, and substituted their
    own untested material, so he recalled those tires and stopped shipment. He says cards were not
    billed for people who never got the tire shipped, and that he hopes to get them out in 2 weeks. He
    claimed to be still working on informing customers.

    So not a stellar experience, especially since for me, I missed a ride because I had a flat and
    rather than take the rear wheel off twice I was waiting for the tire.

    I get the impression AFT is a very small outfit. They have another company manufacture and ship the
    tires, they just design and market them it seems. I mean the 800 number is answered by the CEO!
    --
    Brad Templeton's Photography page http://www.templetons.com/brad/photo

  16. John

    John Guest

    I reiterate: ordered in early December AND charged on Dec. 6th. The e-mail I received from Hugh on
    Jan. 12th said he would soon be in contact with me. Perhaps time is measured differently in his
    location. Excuse my testiness, but since I ride a trike I am awaiting delivery of 3 tires and a
    mounting tool.

  17. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    I have dealt with Hugh. I had favorable outcomes. But I do not think money should have been taken
    until the tires were ready, IMHO. I understand your frustration.

    Derek