Any Amp B4 service gurus here?

Nate

Guest
My girly has an Amp B4 and the rear triangle has lateral play to it. She has the pivot kits and
extra rear triangle parts, but I cannot figure out how to remove the main pivot axle without
possibly damaging something. Her maintenance manuals don't cover it, and I can't get the info from
the Amp website.

If anyone has any info to offer it would be greatly appreciated.

Nate wrote:
> My girly has an Amp B4 and the rear triangle has lateral play to it. She has the pivot kits and
> extra rear triangle parts, but I cannot figure out how to remove the main pivot axle without
> possibly damaging something. Her maintenance manuals don't cover it, and I can't get the info from
> the Amp website.
>
> If anyone has any info to offer it would be greatly appreciated.

I used to have an AMP. I changed out the pivots and bushings a lot, so maybe I can help, but it has
been a long time, so maybe not. As I recall, the main pivot is a simple rod that has grooves on each
end for circlips. Is yours the same?

Miles

miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Nate wrote:
> > My girly has an Amp B4 and the rear triangle has lateral play to it. She has the pivot kits and
> > extra rear triangle parts, but I cannot figure out how to remove the main pivot axle without
> > possibly damaging something. Her maintenance manuals don't cover it, and I can't get the info
> > from the Amp website.
> >
> > If anyone has any info to offer it would be greatly appreciated.

> I used to have an AMP. I changed out the pivots and bushings a lot, so maybe I can help, but it
> has been a long time, so maybe not. As I recall, the main pivot is a simple rod that has grooves
> on each end for circlips. Is yours the same?
>
> Miles

I don't have grooves on the axle rod, but it seems that "circlips" fit around the simple axle rod
into the swingarm pivot. It appears that the axle is tight to the main frame and the swingarm pivots
around it.

Nate wrote:
> miles todd <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Nate wrote:
>>
>>>My girly has an Amp B4 and the rear triangle has lateral play to it. She has the pivot kits and
>>>extra rear triangle parts, but I cannot figure out how to remove the main pivot axle without
>>>possibly damaging something. Her maintenance manuals don't cover it, and I can't get the info
>>>from the Amp website.
>>>
>>>If anyone has any info to offer it would be greatly appreciated.

>>I used to have an AMP. I changed out the pivots and bushings a lot, so maybe I can help, but it
>>has been a long time, so maybe not. As I recall, the main pivot is a simple rod that has grooves
>>on each end for circlips. Is yours the same?
>>
>>Miles
>

> I don't have grooves on the axle rod, but it seems that "circlips" fit around the simple axle rod
> into the swingarm pivot. It appears that the axle is tight to the main frame and the swingarm
> pivots around it.

I seem to remember that it simply slides out (with a little coercion). Make sure that there is no
set-screw or something like that, but I doubt your frame has anything along those lines. Mine
didn't, but then again, mine was the seventh AMP ever made, and they made a few changes during the
years. The pioneering thing about the AMP frame is that it was light. Really light, when other
suspension frames were tanks. It is still lighter than almost any current design. Horst Leitner
used the approach that the simplest, lightest solution is the best. Therefore, simple aluminum
pivot rods.

Anyhow, tap it out. Use your new rod as a punch, and as the old pivot is sliding out your new one
will be taking its place.

I found that White lightning on the various pivots was fantastic foe extending the life of the
bushing spacers as well as keeping it all quiet.

I wish I still had the shock rebuild tools- I'd send them to you. Unfortunately, I had no need for
them after somebody swiped my bike out of my garage... so I pitched them.

Miles

> Make sure that there is no set-screw or something like that, but I doubt your frame has anything
> along those lines. Mine didn't, but then again, mine was the seventh AMP ever made, and they made
> a few changes during the years.

2 little screws directly holding the axle.

> The pioneering thing about the AMP frame is that it was light. Really light, when other suspension
> frames were tanks. It is still lighter than almost any current design. Horst Leitner used the
> approach that the simplest, lightest solution is the best. Therefore, simple aluminum pivot rods.

I'm guessing her small B4 is about 4.7 according to other size frame weights.

> Anyhow, tap it out. Use your new rod as a punch, and as the old pivot is sliding out your new one
> will be taking its place.

Did that, but I wanted to replace the metal sleeves that fit into the holes of the swingarm. I only
got 1 of the 2 sleeves in, so that will have to do for now.

> I found that White lightning on the various pivots was fantastic foe extending the life of the
> bushing spacers as well as keeping it all quiet.

I second that. Maybe Lizard Skins woulda made some bux if they would have made something for
Amp pivots...

> I wish I still had the shock rebuild tools- I'd send them to you. Unfortunately, I had no need for
> them after somebody swiped my bike out of my garage... so I pitched them.
>
> Miles

Sorry to hear bout the loss of your bike. Bike thieves rank right up there with terrorists (or darn
close anyway) in my book. We switched her shock over to a Risse Astro 5, and it has worked well.
It's almost time to rebuild it though.

I ended up adding a washer on the axle between the frame and the swingarm to help reduce lateral
play. Also added some home fabricated washers made from plastic milk carton to the rear pivots to
fill some minor gappage. After it was all put back together, I gotta say it has zero lateral play --
for now. A huge improvement from the inch or so of play at the back wheel! Thank God for that! No
need to purchase that new frame we were so close to getting, and the little lady is very happy with
the results!

Thanks for the help Miles!

Nate

Nate wrote:

> Thanks for the help Miles!
>
> Nate

I wish I could have helped more. I'm glad you are happy with the bike- I loved mine.

Miles