Any Belgian riders out here?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mr Soul, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Mr Soul

    Mr Soul Guest

    hi there,

    some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?

    cyah!!

    --
    Greetings, Mr Soul

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mr Soul wrote:
    > hi there,
    >
    > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?

    I'm a Brit, living in Germany, but do a lot of my riding in Belgium. Does that count?

  3. Mr Soul

    Mr Soul Guest

    > > hi there,
    > >
    > > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
    >
    > I'm a Brit, living in Germany, but do a lot of my riding in Belgium. Does that count?

    sure it does :)

    so i guess you ride mostly near the german boarders? or all over belgium?

    --
    Greetings, Mr Soul

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mr Soul wrote:

    >>>some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
    >>
    >>I'm a Brit, living in Germany, but do a lot of my riding in Belgium. Does that count?
    >>

    > sure it does :)
    >
    > so i guess you ride mostly near the german boarders? or all over belgium?

    La Roche-en-Ardennes mostly, although I'm hoping to get to Houffalize soon. These are just the
    places I know at the moment. http://www.j-harris.net/bike/laroche

  5. Mr Soul

    Mr Soul Guest

    > >>I'm a Brit, living in Germany, but do a lot of my riding in Belgium. Does that count?
    > >>

    > > sure it does :)
    > >
    > > so i guess you ride mostly near the german boarders? or all over
    belgium?

    > La Roche-en-Ardennes mostly, although I'm hoping to get to Houffalize soon. These are just the
    > places I know at the moment. http://www.j-harris.net/bike/laroche

    looks great...hopefully i get there sometime...

    since i live in Ghent (eastern flanders that is between brussels and oostende) i mostly ride over
    here... which means...pretty flat routes..

    lucky we have those Blosoroutes.. :)

    next weekend we'll be riding around Poperinge-Oudenaarde...there are some beautiful trails over
    there...but in a few weeks i have to get to the Ardennes...when the leaves start colouring etc...

    saw your pics...definately want to get there sometime :))))
    --
    Greetings, Mr Soul

  6. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:10:05 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:

    > so i guess you ride mostly near the german boarders? or all over belgium?

    I was in Brugge last June; I saw a lot German boarders there. ;-)

    Belgium was the highlight of our Europe trip. My wife loved Brugge; me, I liked the beer & chocolate
    (though Brugge was pretty damn nice too). Unfortunately we never made it out to Ghent. (OK, so I'm
    throwing this thread off-topic, sorry)

  7. Mr Soul

    Mr Soul Guest

    > > so i guess you ride mostly near the german boarders? or all over
    belgium?

    > I was in Brugge last June; I saw a lot German boarders there. ;-)
    >
    > Belgium was the highlight of our Europe trip. My wife loved Brugge; me, I liked the beer &
    > chocolate (though Brugge was pretty damn nice too). Unfortunately we never made it out to Ghent.
    > (OK, so I'm throwing this thread off-topic, sorry)

    oh what the heck :) it's nice to have an offtopic chat now and then...

    indeed we are fameous for our chocolates and beers...i drink it everyweekend so it ain't so
    special anymore.

    Brugge is nice indeed...fameous for its architecture and specific houses etc...that is not so much
    over here in ghent but we have our fameous places...and places that are less fameous but that have a
    great story :)

    i'll leave some links to ghentpics...maybe for the next time you make it out here

    http://users.pandora.be/Mr_Soul//jos-in-da-houssss/mr-soul-s-pictures/images /belfort-1.jpg this one
    is our belfort @night :) in front there are some nice stairs to take with my mtb...just to make this
    message ontopic ;)))

    http://users.pandora.be/Mr_Soul//jos-in-da-houssss/mr-soul-s-pictures/mr-sou
    l-s-pictures-16-30/images/gent-snowy-3-5.jpg 'the three towers' one of the fameous views in
    the center

    http://users.pandora.be/Mr_Soul//jos-in-da-houssss/mr-soul-s-pictures/mr-sou
    l-s-pictures-16-30/images/gent-snowy-3-4.jpg

    http://users.pandora.be/Mr_Soul//jos-in-da-houssss/mr-soul-s-pictures/mr-sou
    l-s-pictures-46-60/images/img-1781-1.jpg
    http://users.pandora.be/Mr_Soul//jos-in-da-houssss/mr-soul-s-pictures/mr-sou
    l-s-pictures-76-85/images/snowy-grasle-1.jpg the fameous 'graslei' during summer...one of thé places
    to meet some friends

    --
    Greetings, Mr Soul

  8. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:54:08 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:

    > i'll leave some links to ghentpics...maybe for the next time you make it out here

    Nice pics! You must be a lot more fond of snow than I am (where I live, it snows one day every few
    years; it mostly just rains all winter).

  9. Mr Soul

    Mr Soul Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:54:08 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:
    >
    > > i'll leave some links to ghentpics...maybe for the next time you make it
    out
    > > here
    >
    > Nice pics! You must be a lot more fond of snow than I am (where I live, it snows one day every few
    > years; it mostly just rains all winter).

    well unfortunately we're in the same situation...

    last year we were lucky enough to get a huge ammount of snow for about 2 weeks...before that it was
    5 years ago i guess...

    so it was the perfect moment to go out with my cam and shoot some pics...just to remember how things
    look covered in snow ;)
    --
    Greetings, Mr Soul

  10. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Mr Soul wrote:

    > looks great...hopefully i get there sometime...
    >
    > since i live in Ghent (eastern flanders that is between brussels and oostende) i mostly ride over
    > here... which means...pretty flat routes..
    >
    > lucky we have those Blosoroutes.. :)
    >
    > next weekend we'll be riding around Poperinge-Oudenaarde...there are some beautiful trails over
    > there...but in a few weeks i have to get to the Ardennes...when the leaves start colouring etc...
    >
    > saw your pics...definately want to get there sometime :))))

    Take a trip to the Ardennes - it's definitely worth it. If you need more info, let me know.

  11. Ragdoll

    Ragdoll Guest

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:40:48 GMT, "Mr Soul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:54:08 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:
    >>
    >> > i'll leave some links to ghentpics...maybe for the next time you make it
    >out
    >> > here
    >>
    >> Nice pics! You must be a lot more fond of snow than I am (where I live, it snows one day every
    >> few years; it mostly just rains all winter).
    >
    >well unfortunately we're in the same situation...
    >
    >last year we were lucky enough to get a huge ammount of snow for about 2 weeks...before that it was
    >5 years ago i guess...
    >
    >so it was the perfect moment to go out with my cam and shoot some pics...just to remember how
    >things look covered in snow ;)
    i am dutch close enough to belgium,eindhoven

  12. Mr Soul

    Mr Soul Guest

    "ragdoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:40:48 GMT, "Mr Soul" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...

    > >out
    > >>
    > >> Nice pics! You must be a lot more fond of snow than I am (where I live, it snows one day every
    > >> few years; it mostly just rains all winter).
    > >
    > >well unfortunately we're in the same situation...
    > >
    > >last year we were lucky enough to get a huge ammount of snow for about 2 weeks...before that it
    > >was 5 years ago i guess...
    > >
    > >so it was the perfect moment to go out with my cam and shoot some pics...just to remember how
    > >things look covered in snow ;)
    > i am dutch close enough to belgium,eindhoven

    hehe,

    a friend of mine has to go there often for his job (philips indeed)

    nice trails over there? guess it has a rather flat scenery over there...just like here :(

    --
    Greetings, Mr Soul

  13. Doug Taylor

    Doug Taylor Guest

    "Mr Soul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > hi there,
    >
    > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?

    I'm a Yank but my dog is a Belgian Sheepdog (Groenendael) and she runs beside me while I ride. Does
    that count?

  14. Mr Soul

    Mr Soul Guest

    > > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
    >
    > I'm a Yank but my dog is a Belgian Sheepdog (Groenendael) and she runs beside me while I ride.
    > Does that count?

    loooool, nice try :p

    ouch my hangover hurts....damn those champagneparties :))

    --
    Greetings, Mr Soul

  15. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Mr Soul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > hi there,
    >
    > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
    >
    > cyah!!

    I drink Belgian beer, so I'm at least part Belgian until I void it.

    JD

  16. Mr Soul

    Mr Soul Guest

    > > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
    > >
    > > cyah!!
    >
    > I drink Belgian beer, so I'm at least part Belgian until I void it.
    >
    > JD

    You ever tried a 'Duvel'? :))
    --
    Greetings, Mr Soul

  17. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Mr Soul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
    > > >
    > > > cyah!!
    > >
    > > I drink Belgian beer, so I'm at least part Belgian until I void it.
    > >
    > > JD
    >
    > You ever tried a 'Duvel'? :))

    Yes. I cheat though when it comes to Belgian beer because I drink a lot of American brewed Belgian
    style ales. Having the New Belgium brewery in Colorado makes it easy.

    JD 1554

  18. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:38:10 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:

    > You ever tried a 'Duvel'? :))

    Duvel's about $7 for a 750ml bottle here (about 6.10 Euro?). I'm curious how much it is locally?

    There are actually a few decent American knock-offs, particularly from Ommengang which can be had
    for $4.50/750ml. "New Belgium Brewery" doesn't count. ;-)

  19. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On 29 Sep 2003 09:16:35 -0700, JD wrote:

    > Yes. I cheat though when it comes to Belgian beer because I drink a lot of American brewed Belgian
    > style ales. Having the New Belgium brewery in Colorado makes it easy.

    IMHO, the only thing "Belgian" about New Belgium's knockoffs is the labels. For Colorado brewers,
    Avery Brewing in Boulder does a better Belgian knock-off, though its a bit heavy on the malt (but
    makes up for it by a 10% ABV). I have a few more Belgian knock-offs in the fridge that I've yet
    to try. I set my limit at $5/magnum; anything more than that and I'm getting the real Trappist
    stuff instead.

  20. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:24:07 +0000, BB wrote:

    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:38:10 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:
    >
    >> You ever tried a 'Duvel'? :))
    >
    > Duvel's about $7 for a 750ml bottle here (about 6.10 Euro?). I'm curious how much it is locally?

    Ah, if only you'd asked before the weekend... Not sure about a 750ml bottle of Duvel costs, but to
    give you some idea, a four pack of nice Belgian beers (Chimay, Rochefort, Leffe, etc, (330ml per
    bottle)) costs between 3.50 and 4.50 Euro.

    --
    a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm