Any Belgian riders out here?

Mr Soul

Guest
hi there,

some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?

cyah!!

--
Greetings, Mr Soul

Mr Soul wrote:
> hi there,
>
> some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?

I'm a Brit, living in Germany, but do a lot of my riding in Belgium. Does that count?

> > hi there,
> >
> > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
>
> I'm a Brit, living in Germany, but do a lot of my riding in Belgium. Does that count?

sure it does :)

so i guess you ride mostly near the german boarders? or all over belgium?

--
Greetings, Mr Soul

Mr Soul wrote:

>>>some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
>>
>>I'm a Brit, living in Germany, but do a lot of my riding in Belgium. Does that count?
>>

> sure it does :)
>
> so i guess you ride mostly near the german boarders? or all over belgium?

La Roche-en-Ardennes mostly, although I'm hoping to get to Houffalize soon. These are just the
places I know at the moment. http://www.j-harris.net/bike/laroche

> >>I'm a Brit, living in Germany, but do a lot of my riding in Belgium. Does that count?
> >>

> > sure it does :)
> >
> > so i guess you ride mostly near the german boarders? or all over
belgium?

> La Roche-en-Ardennes mostly, although I'm hoping to get to Houffalize soon. These are just the
> places I know at the moment. http://www.j-harris.net/bike/laroche

looks great...hopefully i get there sometime...

since i live in Ghent (eastern flanders that is between brussels and oostende) i mostly ride over
here... which means...pretty flat routes..

lucky we have those Blosoroutes.. :)

next weekend we'll be riding around Poperinge-Oudenaarde...there are some beautiful trails over
there...but in a few weeks i have to get to the Ardennes...when the leaves start colouring etc...

saw your pics...definately want to get there sometime :))))
--
Greetings, Mr Soul

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:10:05 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:

> so i guess you ride mostly near the german boarders? or all over belgium?

I was in Brugge last June; I saw a lot German boarders there. ;-)

Belgium was the highlight of our Europe trip. My wife loved Brugge; me, I liked the beer & chocolate
(though Brugge was pretty damn nice too). Unfortunately we never made it out to Ghent. (OK, so I'm
throwing this thread off-topic, sorry)

> > so i guess you ride mostly near the german boarders? or all over
belgium?

> I was in Brugge last June; I saw a lot German boarders there. ;-)
>
> Belgium was the highlight of our Europe trip. My wife loved Brugge; me, I liked the beer &
> chocolate (though Brugge was pretty damn nice too). Unfortunately we never made it out to Ghent.
> (OK, so I'm throwing this thread off-topic, sorry)

oh what the heck :) it's nice to have an offtopic chat now and then...

indeed we are fameous for our chocolates and beers...i drink it everyweekend so it ain't so
special anymore.

Brugge is nice indeed...fameous for its architecture and specific houses etc...that is not so much
over here in ghent but we have our fameous places...and places that are less fameous but that have a
great story :)

i'll leave some links to ghentpics...maybe for the next time you make it out here

http://users.pandora.be/Mr_Soul//jos-in-da-houssss/mr-soul-s-pictures/images /belfort-1.jpg this one
is our belfort @night :) in front there are some nice stairs to take with my mtb...just to make this
message ontopic ;)))

http://users.pandora.be/Mr_Soul//jos-in-da-houssss/mr-soul-s-pictures/mr-sou
l-s-pictures-16-30/images/gent-snowy-3-5.jpg 'the three towers' one of the fameous views in
the center

http://users.pandora.be/Mr_Soul//jos-in-da-houssss/mr-soul-s-pictures/mr-sou
l-s-pictures-16-30/images/gent-snowy-3-4.jpg

http://users.pandora.be/Mr_Soul//jos-in-da-houssss/mr-soul-s-pictures/mr-sou
l-s-pictures-46-60/images/img-1781-1.jpg
http://users.pandora.be/Mr_Soul//jos-in-da-houssss/mr-soul-s-pictures/mr-sou
l-s-pictures-76-85/images/snowy-grasle-1.jpg the fameous 'graslei' during summer...one of thé places
to meet some friends

--
Greetings, Mr Soul

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:54:08 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:

> i'll leave some links to ghentpics...maybe for the next time you make it out here

Nice pics! You must be a lot more fond of snow than I am (where I live, it snows one day every few
years; it mostly just rains all winter).

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:54:08 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:
>
> > i'll leave some links to ghentpics...maybe for the next time you make it
out
> > here
>
> Nice pics! You must be a lot more fond of snow than I am (where I live, it snows one day every few
> years; it mostly just rains all winter).

well unfortunately we're in the same situation...

last year we were lucky enough to get a huge ammount of snow for about 2 weeks...before that it was
5 years ago i guess...

so it was the perfect moment to go out with my cam and shoot some pics...just to remember how things
look covered in snow ;)
--
Greetings, Mr Soul

Mr Soul wrote:

> looks great...hopefully i get there sometime...
>
> since i live in Ghent (eastern flanders that is between brussels and oostende) i mostly ride over
> here... which means...pretty flat routes..
>
> lucky we have those Blosoroutes.. :)
>
> next weekend we'll be riding around Poperinge-Oudenaarde...there are some beautiful trails over
> there...but in a few weeks i have to get to the Ardennes...when the leaves start colouring etc...
>
> saw your pics...definately want to get there sometime :))))

Take a trip to the Ardennes - it's definitely worth it. If you need more info, let me know.

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:40:48 GMT, "Mr Soul" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 18:54:08 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:
>>
>> > i'll leave some links to ghentpics...maybe for the next time you make it
>out
>> > here
>>
>> Nice pics! You must be a lot more fond of snow than I am (where I live, it snows one day every
>> few years; it mostly just rains all winter).
>
>well unfortunately we're in the same situation...
>
>last year we were lucky enough to get a huge ammount of snow for about 2 weeks...before that it was
>5 years ago i guess...
>
>so it was the perfect moment to go out with my cam and shoot some pics...just to remember how
>things look covered in snow ;)
i am dutch close enough to belgium,eindhoven

"ragdoll" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:40:48 GMT, "Mr Soul" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...

> >out
> >>
> >> Nice pics! You must be a lot more fond of snow than I am (where I live, it snows one day every
> >> few years; it mostly just rains all winter).
> >
> >well unfortunately we're in the same situation...
> >
> >last year we were lucky enough to get a huge ammount of snow for about 2 weeks...before that it
> >was 5 years ago i guess...
> >
> >so it was the perfect moment to go out with my cam and shoot some pics...just to remember how
> >things look covered in snow ;)
> i am dutch close enough to belgium,eindhoven

hehe,

a friend of mine has to go there often for his job (philips indeed)

nice trails over there? guess it has a rather flat scenery over there...just like here :(

--
Greetings, Mr Soul

> > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
>
> I'm a Yank but my dog is a Belgian Sheepdog (Groenendael) and she runs beside me while I ride.
> Does that count?

loooool, nice try :p

ouch my hangover hurts....damn those champagneparties :))

--
Greetings, Mr Soul

> > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
> >
> > cyah!!
>
> I drink Belgian beer, so I'm at least part Belgian until I void it.
>
> JD

You ever tried a 'Duvel'? :))
--
Greetings, Mr Soul

"Mr Soul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > > some more belgian riders out there or all ya'all americans?
> > >
> > > cyah!!
> >
> > I drink Belgian beer, so I'm at least part Belgian until I void it.
> >
> > JD
>
> You ever tried a 'Duvel'? :))

Yes. I cheat though when it comes to Belgian beer because I drink a lot of American brewed Belgian
style ales. Having the New Belgium brewery in Colorado makes it easy.

JD 1554

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:38:10 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:

> You ever tried a 'Duvel'? :))

Duvel's about $7 for a 750ml bottle here (about 6.10 Euro?). I'm curious how much it is locally?

There are actually a few decent American knock-offs, particularly from Ommengang which can be had
for $4.50/750ml. "New Belgium Brewery" doesn't count. ;-)

On 29 Sep 2003 09:16:35 -0700, JD wrote:

> Yes. I cheat though when it comes to Belgian beer because I drink a lot of American brewed Belgian
> style ales. Having the New Belgium brewery in Colorado makes it easy.

IMHO, the only thing "Belgian" about New Belgium's knockoffs is the labels. For Colorado brewers,
Avery Brewing in Boulder does a better Belgian knock-off, though its a bit heavy on the malt (but
makes up for it by a 10% ABV). I have a few more Belgian knock-offs in the fridge that I've yet
to try. I set my limit at $5/magnum; anything more than that and I'm getting the real Trappist
stuff instead.

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:24:07 +0000, BB wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:38:10 GMT, Mr Soul wrote:
>
>> You ever tried a 'Duvel'? :))
>
> Duvel's about $7 for a 750ml bottle here (about 6.10 Euro?). I'm curious how much it is locally?

Ah, if only you'd asked before the weekend... Not sure about a 750ml bottle of Duvel costs, but to
give you some idea, a four pack of nice Belgian beers (Chimay, Rochefort, Leffe, etc, (330ml per
bottle)) costs between 3.50 and 4.50 Euro.

--
a.m-b FAQ: http://www.j-harris.net/bike/ambfaq.htm