Any Belgian riders out here?

bomba <[email protected]> wrote
> Not sure about a 750ml bottle of Duvel costs, but to give you some idea, a four pack of nice
> Belgian beers (Chimay, Rochefort, Leffe, etc, (330ml per bottle)) costs between 3.50 and
> 4.50 Euro.

I hate you.

My method of saving money on Belgian beers is to culture up the yeast from a bottle of Chimay and
brew the stuff myself. I make an excellent abbey ale clone.

CC

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On 29 Sep 2003 09:16:35 -0700, JD wrote:
>
> > Yes. I cheat though when it comes to Belgian beer because I drink a lot of American brewed
> > Belgian style ales. Having the New Belgium brewery in Colorado makes it easy.
>
> IMHO, the only thing "Belgian" about New Belgium's knockoffs is the labels. For Colorado brewers,
> Avery Brewing in Boulder does a better Belgian knock-off, though its a bit heavy on the malt (but
> makes up for it by a 10% ABV). I have a few more Belgian knock-offs in the fridge that I've yet to
> try. I set my limit at $5/magnum; anything more than that and I'm getting the real Trappist stuff
> instead.

Funny, Lee Bridgers' wife Mikki is Belgian and she says that NB Trippel is as close to Belgian beer
as it gets here.

JD trusting Belgians

On 30 Sep 2003 11:05:51 -0700, JD wrote:

> Funny, Lee Bridgers' wife Mikki is Belgian and she says that NB Trippel is as close to Belgian
> beer as it gets here.

Cool. That's the one I haven't managed to find, but after trying the other two (Abbey, Black) I
didn't bother. Sounds like I should.

> IMHO, the only thing "Belgian" about New Belgium's knockoffs is the labels. For Colorado brewers,
> Avery Brewing in Boulder does a better Belgian knock-off, though its a bit heavy on the malt (but
> makes up for it by a 10% ABV). I have a few more Belgian knock-offs in the fridge that I've yet to
> try. I set my limit at $5/magnum; anything more than that and I'm getting the real Trappist stuff
> instead.

Thanks for reminding me. I have a buddy coming east in a few weeks and I need to stock up. I plan on
using the barter system to replinesh my supply of Grand Crue and Lefe. The Hefe weizen should be
ready to go in the bottle right about then.

nk 'RT from DIA is <$400 these days'

> My method of saving money on Belgian beers is to culture up the yeast from a bottle of Chimay and
> brew the stuff myself. I make an excellent abbey ale clone.

I've done that once with good results. Once with less than great results but still drinkable.

As I live in a place where good beer is often found, I think I make better beer than what is found
at the 'Getranke Markte'. Good fresh ingredients, sanitation and attention to details make the
difference.

Everybody should have an obtainable goal. Mine is to brew an authentic Kolsch. Some weekend I'll
strap the brewery to the roof and head up A61 so that I can check that off the list.

nk

> BB <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>On 29 Sep 2003 09:16:35 -0700, JD wrote:
>>

>>>Yes. I cheat though when it comes to Belgian beer because I drink a lot of American brewed
>>>Belgian style ales. Having the New Belgium brewery in Colorado makes it easy.
>>
>>IMHO, the only thing "Belgian" about New Belgium's knockoffs is the labels. For Colorado brewers,
>>Avery Brewing in Boulder does a better Belgian knock-off, though its a bit heavy on the malt (but
>>makes up for it by a 10% ABV). I have a few more Belgian knock-offs in the fridge that I've yet to
>>try. I set my limit at $5/magnum; anything more than that and I'm getting the real Trappist stuff
>>instead.
>

> Funny, Lee Bridgers' wife Mikki is Belgian and she says that NB Trippel is as close to Belgian
> beer as it gets here.
>
> JD trusting Belgians

I used to play basketball with Adam Avery, I think Avery Brewing is Adam and his father. I don't
know if it was the beer, but a 6 footer doing a standing dunk ... impressive jumping skills.
--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)