Any benefit to using a wider rear tire?

boyRacer

Jul 8, 2003
Continental's TPS reminds me of how sport bikes have their tire setup in general. Granted road bikes arent exactly going as fast as motorcycles... just wondering if its any benefit or is it just marketing hype by Continental. :)

Well, the rear tyre plays a much bigger part in saddle comfort than the front one, so using a wider rear tyre but a skinny front is a way to increase ride comfort without trading too much in weight, rotating mass and rolling resistance.

Originally posted by mjw_byrne
Well, the rear tyre plays a much bigger part in saddle comfort than the front one, so using a wider rear tyre but a skinny front is a way to increase ride comfort without trading too much in weight, rotating mass and rolling resistance.

ARE THERE MANY USING THIS FORUM WHO ACTUALLY DO THIS?

There may also be one additional consideration with a wider rear tire. I tried to use a 25 on the rear of a training wheel (durability comfort, etc.) and it rubbed the rear chain stays...

Originally posted by Cipher
There may also be one additional consideration with a wider rear tire. I tried to use a 25 on the rear of a training wheel (durability comfort, etc.) and it rubbed the rear chain stays...

Good point, and it reminds me: many road bikes have only a millimetre or two of clearance between the rear tyre and the seat tube when using a 23mm tyre, so sticking a 25 or 28 on might be impossible.

I have almost always used a wider tire on the back for training. Currently, I have a 23 on the back and a 20 on the front. This is really comfortable, fast and slick. As my butt breaks in this season (after the rear tire in toast), I will switch to a slightly narrower one. But, I am only 138 lbs and carry no weight.

I'm a big fan of 25 rear 23 front for training. That 25 gives just that extra bit of comfort, which is useful on longer rides.