Any Brompton owners out there?

Graeme Dods

Guest
I'm sure I've not heard anyone on this group mention, even in passing, if
they owned a Brompton, but if there are any such people who've been hiding
this fact from us, could you give me some help/opinions please?

The financial controller shocked me the other day when she asked if I would
need a new bike for cycling to work. Clearly she has realised that not a
single one of my 3 current bikes are suitable ;) She also mentioned that as
I'll need the car for work (which I'll leave at the office) and might feel
like taking the train in at times, that a folding bike might be the way to
go :D

So now I've got the theoretical approval, it's research time! Clearly I'd
like to go for something with all/most of the whistles and bells (the
latter being compulsory over here), i.e. hub dynamo, 6 gears etc. but other
than that I'm a bit lost. The Australian distributors, Greenspeed
(manufacturers of some very fine recumbents[1]) currently list only T, L &
C models, whereas the Brompton site lists C, M, S & P models.

The P model looks good, but are the 6 gears a must over the 3 (it's fairly
flat around here)? And what's a Brommy like for lanky gits (6'2")?

Thanks,

Graeme

[1] Who knows, maybe permission to buy one of these may be forthcoming if
the insanity continues :)

> I'm sure I've not heard anyone on this group mention, even in passing, if
> they owned a Brompton, but if there are any such people who've been hiding
> this fact from us, could you give me some help/opinions please?

You can't have been here long then :)

There's been quite a few Brompton stories that have unfolded in the
past.year or so ;-)

Graeme Dods wrote:

> The P model looks good, but are the 6 gears a must over the 3 (it's fairly
> flat around here)? And what's a Brommy like for lanky gits (6'2")?

Generally the 3 gears are enough for flat places. The six gears are
best used as two sets of three gears, a high range for normal use and a
low range for use on the hills. I have a 3 gear and I'm getting a new 3
gear soon. Generally I would suggest what was the L3 with the front
luggage (I prefer the shopping basket to throw my stuff in, others
prefer using a B bag as a briefcase). The rack adds weight when you are
carrying it.

For lanky gits its fine - I'm 4" taller than you and have no problems.
You may need the telescopic post and you want the M or P type bars, the
S type will be too low.

The AVC site is good for looking at all the build options now available
http://www.foldingbikes.co.uk/brompton.htm

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

In article <[email protected]>, Graeme Dods wrote:

>The P model looks good, but are the 6 gears a must over the 3 (it's fairly
>flat around here)?

"must" - no, some people commute happily on single speeds. "worthwhile",
depends on you.

> And what's a Brommy like for lanky gits (6'2")?

I'm 6'3" and found one with the standard seatpost practically unrideable,
but longer seatposts are available as an option.

Graeme Dods <[email protected]>typed

> I'm sure I've not heard anyone on this group mention, even in passing, if
> they owned a Brompton, but if there are any such people who've been hiding
> this fact from us, could you give me some help/opinions please?

I have loved the Bromptons I have bought. I can't ride now myself, due to MS.

First one (T3, c1993) went to nephew, who was 12 at the time.

I bought another one for my partner last year (T6, just before they
renamed and respecified the range).

Nobody told you ZisGuy bought a Brompton last year, did they? It
folds-unfolds-folds-unfolds...

Zis Guy is tall (6'1" or 6'2" IIRC) and has some lovely kit on his
Brompton: Brook's Brompton saddle, SON dynamo etc. LOVELY!

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:23:36 +0800 someone who may be Graeme Dods
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>The Australian distributors, Greenspeed
>(manufacturers of some very fine recumbents[1]) currently list only T, L &
>C models, whereas the Brompton site lists C, M, S & P models.

The distributor is behind the times. Brompton changed their range at
least a year ago, probably two.

>The P model looks good, but are the 6 gears a must over the 3 (it's fairly
>flat around here)?

Three gears are usually fine in such conditions.

>And what's a Brommy like for lanky gits (6'2")?

The telescopic seat post might be of use.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Tony Raven wrote:
> Graeme Dods wrote:
>

>> The P model looks good, but are the 6 gears a must over the 3 (it's
>> fairly
>> flat around here)? And what's a Brommy like for lanky gits (6'2")?
>>

> Generally the 3 gears are enough for flat places. The six gears are
> best used as two sets of three gears, a high range for normal use and a
> low range for use on the hills.

??? The derailleur gears have a spread of about half the steps of the
threespeed. They are not meant to increase the range, but halve the gaps
of the threespeed hub.

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:23:36 +0800, Graeme Dods
<[email protected]> said in
<[email protected]>:

>The P model looks good, but are the 6 gears a must over the 3 (it's fairly
>flat around here)? And what's a Brommy like for lanky gits (6'2")?

I agree with Tony that 3 is enough on the flat, but disagree on mode
of usage: I go up through the six gears in sequence even on flat
ground.

Height no object, but do get the telescopic seat post. In titanium.
Mmmmm! titanium! Where's my credit card?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Graeme Dods wrote:
> I'm sure I've not heard anyone on this group mention, even in passing, if
> they owned a Brompton, but if there are any such people who've been hiding
> this fact from us, could you give me some help/opinions please?
>
> The financial controller shocked me the other day when she asked if I would
> need a new bike for cycling to work. Clearly she has realised that not a
> single one of my 3 current bikes are suitable ;) She also mentioned that as
> I'll need the car for work (which I'll leave at the office) and might feel
> like taking the train in at times, that a folding bike might be the way to
> go :D
>
> So now I've got the theoretical approval, it's research time! Clearly I'd
> like to go for something with all/most of the whistles and bells (the
> latter being compulsory over here), i.e. hub dynamo, 6 gears etc. but other
> than that I'm a bit lost. The Australian distributors, Greenspeed
> (manufacturers of some very fine recumbents[1]) currently list only T, L &
> C models, whereas the Brompton site lists C, M, S & P models.
>
> The P model looks good, but are the 6 gears a must over the 3 (it's fairly
> flat around here)? And what's a Brommy like for lanky gits (6'2")?

I love my L6, I have an extended seatpost but am 2" shorter than you.
You will need the longer adjustable post.

I use the six gears sequentially. I have the 12% gear reduction and
would strongly recommend this option - you can always cost down really
big hills.

Pick black, easy to touch up (and it will get scratched), rather than
the pink and titanium grey I saw walking out of Warlands, Oxford.

I have personally sold four to group members here at work. They are
more common than Mazda 6's!

regards,
daren
--
remove outer garment for reply

"Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

You will definitely need the telescopic seatpost option - standard seatpost
is only suitable for mildly elongated dwarves.

Get the "Vitesse" seat - the standard seat is only suitable for grannies.

If you live in a flat place, gearing is not so critical and three speed
should be ok. Single is ok if you only ride very short distances but I
imagine would become very tedious if you ride more than a few kms.

The Bromson hub-dynamo is an excellent option - particularly if you match it
to DIWA lights.

I have a Brompton T6 with all the above options and it is the best thing I
have ever spent money on (except my Rohloff on another bike, and beer of
course).

Graeme Dods wrote:
> The financial controller shocked me the other day when she asked if I would
> need a new bike for cycling to work.

I had a similar conversation this morning. Except it was me that raised
the matter - I've been putting off getting a folder on cost grounds but
using the Tube for the past three weeks has been too depressing.
(Besides, I think I can get away with putting it on my tax return as a
business expense.)

> The P model looks good, but are the 6 gears a must over the 3 (it's fairly
> flat around here)? And what's a Brommy like for lanky gits (6'2")?

There's lots of stuff in the archives about this - I know because I
spent most of the morning reading it. What I have learnt is:
* number of gears is less of an issue than gearing range - many people
find the standard gearing too high, so it is a good idea to go for the
reduced gearing unless you live in a very flat area.
* if you are taller than 5'8" you may be wise to opt for the extended
seatpost.

Personally, I have set my mind on an S-type (flat handlebars, slightly
"sportier" ride) with the standard three hub gears. I'd really like the
SON hub but will make do with the standard bottle dynamo if the
financial controller balks at the price of the SON. However, since I
have fitted a SON to my other bike, I am leaning towards thinking of it
as an /essential/ feature rather than a luxury.

I shall be spending most of tomorrow morning down at the local Brompton
dealer working out the finer details. :)

d.

"Ric" <[email protected]>typed

> "Graeme Dods" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> You will definitely need the telescopic seatpost option - standard seatpost
> is only suitable for mildly elongated dwarves.

Thanks ;-)
It's fine for me and my partner, but we are fairly averagely
proportioned; I'd term neither of us a s 'mildly elongated dwarves',
though...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Graeme

Well, I am not a Brompton owner, but did try one out for a week before
buying a folder. I am 6ft tall and what I found was the the Brompton was
great for transporting but rather tedious for cycling. I think it all comes
down to the balance you have between the two.

Those who are always on trains and lugging their bikes up and down stairs
will definately go for the Brompton. Others who will occasionally fold their
bikes and use on trains could well find a 20" wheeled folder much better as
an all round folder. In the end I bought a Giant Halfway which I have found
excellent. It folds reasonably small and can go in the back of the car or on
a train easily. And it does have a much better riide than the 17" wheeled
Brompton.

My advice would be to try one out alongside a Giant or Dahon 20" folder.

It will be like Vegemite. You will either love or hate the Brompton.

Best regards

Rod King

On recumbent your feet don't touch the ground.

davek wrote:
> * number of gears is less of an issue than gearing range - many people
> find the standard gearing too high, so it is a good idea to go for the
> reduced gearing unless you live in a very flat area.

I get on fine with the standard gearing, although I also ride a fixed
gear in the Welsh mountains, so it may be a bit much for some people.

> * if you are taller than 5'8" you may be wise to opt for the extended
> seatpost.

The extended seatpost is only about two inches longer than the standard,
and I find I'm only an inch from the top of the range on the extended
post. I'm only 5'8 3/4", but I like a fairly extended leg position. As
and when I change the saddle for something a bit better than the
standard Brommie saddle, I'll probably lose an inch of saddle height and
have to pull the seatpost right out to its limit to get the right riding
position.

JimP

In article <[email protected]>, Ric
<[email protected]> writes

>Get the "Vitesse" seat - the standard seat is only suitable for grannies.

The standard seat on my Brompton fell apart before its first 12 months
had elapsed. That's what happens when you have a backside hardened
through years on a Brooks saddle.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Graeme Dods wrote:
> I'm sure I've not heard anyone on this group mention, even in passing, if
> they owned a Brompton, but if there are any such people who've been hiding
> this fact from us, could you give me some help/opinions please?

Yes, great machine but not all alike, my L3 lives in the land-rover most
of the time and I use it as an "in-line wheel-chair" to get around
campus, the much new T models are wonderful, but too much for my needs,
try before you buy would be my advice.

Niel.

M-gineering wrote:
> Tony Raven wrote:
>>

>> Generally the 3 gears are enough for flat places. The six gears are
>> best used as two sets of three gears, a high range for normal use and
>> a low range for use on the hills.

> ??? The derailleur gears have a spread of about half the steps of the
> threespeed. They are not meant to increase the range, but halve the gaps
> of the threespeed hub.

That's as may be but sequencing through them that way is complex
sequence of left and right changers and requires good memory or looking
at the gear indicators to see which change comes next. Most people I
know use just three gears at a time with the left changer to select a
high or low range of three (except for the lucky ones with an old 5
speed). YMMV

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Graeme Dods wrote:

> So now I've got the theoretical approval, it's research time! Clearly I'd
> like to go for something with all/most of the whistles and bells (the
> latter being compulsory over here), i.e. hub dynamo, 6 gears etc. but other
> than that I'm a bit lost. The Australian distributors, Greenspeed
> (manufacturers of some very fine recumbents[1]) currently list only T, L &
> C models, whereas the Brompton site lists C, M, S & P models.

As has been said, this is a bit behind the times, but it could be they
just haven't updated their website. Drop them a line.

> The P model looks good, but are the 6 gears a must over the 3 (it's fairly
> flat around here)?

Depends how optimised you like your cycling. For the short hacks I use
my L3 for I'm not too fussed, and with plenty of hills to play with use
a 3 with the 18% step down (smaller ring, bigger sprocket). The 6 gives
you half spaces so you can be nearer a sweet spot, but if you're a
trundlier sort of chap like me then it's mainly just something extra to
clean, lube and have go wrong in exchange for arriving 30 seconds
earlier. But you could optimise your speed much better with a Birdy in
any case, and not pay /too/ much in the fold.

Last visit to Kinetics I was chatting with Darth Ben about Schlumpfs,
and he said he was expecting a Brom-sized version of the new Sturmey 8
speed in some time not too distant. This would look to be a much better
solution all around, though exact timnings and availability are still
rather up in the air.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Thanks to everyone who responded, even the cat lovers ;)

The local distributor is most likely to be up to date with their actual
models, it's probably just their web site (which also seems to have lost
all reference to their wonderful convertable tandem/solo recumbent trike :(
I need to find somewhere reasonably local so I can do a test ride, trouble
is that Perth isn't local to anywhere but Perth.

I was leaning towards the 3 speed anyway, as I've been toying with the idea
of building a fixie then 3 instead of 6 shouldn't be a problem in
comparison :)

I'll definitely give the Birdy and Dahon a look. I think they're a lot more
common (and cheaper) over here anyway, I'm just drawn to the wonderful
design of the Brompton (the engineer in me I'm afraid).

And Pete, why did you have to mention the 8 speed hub? That's just cruel
taunting you know! :)

Graeme