Any Campy experts?

Dave Thompson

Guest
Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters, 7-speed
wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't know what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you
help me identify this gear? I can send good digital images.

Thanks in advance for your help, Dave
--

Based on the information you gave, which is about zip, who can say? Try searching ebay for Campy
parts. Search for Nuovo Record, Super Record or maybe Gran Sport, and see if any of it looks like
what you have. "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters, 7-speed
> wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't
know
> what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this
gear?
> I can send good digital images.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help, Dave
> --

dave-<< You know, down-tube shifters, 7-speed wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't know
what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this gear? I can send good
digital images.

Send 'em, I'll give it a shot->

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters, 7-speed
> wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't
know
> what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this
gear?
> I can send good digital images.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help, Dave
> --

Another poster suggested eBay to see what you've got. That will also show you how much you can get
for old Campy stuff. It might surprise you. I've been selling bits and pieces for a couple of
months. Many people are rebuilding old classics and will pay top dollar even for used Campy stuff.
While I personally can appreciate vintage cars, bikes and other stuff, I prefer the modern gear for
daily use.

If it's 7-speed, it's not likely to be Nuovo Record or Gran Sport. I forget if Super Record was ever
7-speed. I think the most likely group is C-Record or Croce d'Aune (i.e. post 50th Anniversary
groups), if not more recent Record/Chorus/Athena 7-speed groups.

in article [email protected], pd7441 at [email protected] wrote on
01/18/2003 06:03 AM:

> Based on the information you gave, which is about zip, who can say? Try searching ebay for Campy
> parts. Search for Nuovo Record, Super Record or maybe Gran Sport, and see if any of it looks like
> what you have. "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters,
>> 7-speed wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't
> know
>> what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this
> gear?
>> I can send good digital images.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help, Dave
>> --

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

> > "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters,
> >> 7-speed wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't
> > know
> >> what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this
> > gear?
> >> I can send good digital images.

> in article [email protected], pd7441 at [email protected] wrote on
> 01/18/2003 06:03 AM:
> > Based on the information you gave, which is about zip, who can say? Try searching ebay for Campy
> > parts. Search for Nuovo Record, Super Record or maybe Gran Sport, and see if any of it looks
> > like what you have.

"Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BA4EA178.20980%[email protected]...
> If it's 7-speed, it's not likely to be Nuovo Record or Gran Sport. I
forget
> if Super Record was ever 7-speed. I think the most likely group is
C-Record
> or Croce d'Aune (i.e. post 50th Anniversary groups), if not more recent Record/Chorus/Athena
> 7-speed groups.

Seven speed Nuovo Record, Super Record Reduced, Super Record (and Super Record 50th!) was a common
new bike format from about 1978 through about 1986. USA pro shops used mostly Suntour freewheels at
the time. Yes, C-180 Croce d'Aune and the first Chorus were usually seven as well. Gran Sport bikes
were usually six for reasons of cost, not compatibility. Factory equipped bicycles from Italy were
mostly six until the late '80s.

"Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters, 7-speed
> wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't
know
> what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this
gear?
> I can send good digital images.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help, Dave
> --