Any Campy experts?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Thompson, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters, 7-speed
    wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't know what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you
    help me identify this gear? I can send good digital images.

    Thanks in advance for your help, Dave

  2. Pd7441

    Pd7441 Guest

    Based on the information you gave, which is about zip, who can say? Try searching ebay for Campy
    parts. Search for Nuovo Record, Super Record or maybe Gran Sport, and see if any of it looks like
    what you have. "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters, 7-speed
    > wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't
    know
    > what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this
    gear?
    > I can send good digital images.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help, Dave
    > --

  3. dave-<< You know, down-tube shifters, 7-speed wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't know
    what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this gear? I can send good
    digital images.

    Send 'em, I'll give it a shot->

  4. Ian S

    Ian S Guest

    "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters, 7-speed
    > wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't
    know
    > what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this
    gear?
    > I can send good digital images.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help, Dave
    > --

    Another poster suggested eBay to see what you've got. That will also show you how much you can get
    for old Campy stuff. It might surprise you. I've been selling bits and pieces for a couple of
    months. Many people are rebuilding old classics and will pay top dollar even for used Campy stuff.
    While I personally can appreciate vintage cars, bikes and other stuff, I prefer the modern gear for
    daily use.

  5. If it's 7-speed, it's not likely to be Nuovo Record or Gran Sport. I forget if Super Record was ever
    7-speed. I think the most likely group is C-Record or Croce d'Aune (i.e. post 50th Anniversary
    groups), if not more recent Record/Chorus/Athena 7-speed groups.

    in article [email protected], pd7441 at [email protected] wrote on
    01/18/2003 06:03 AM:

    > Based on the information you gave, which is about zip, who can say? Try searching ebay for Campy
    > parts. Search for Nuovo Record, Super Record or maybe Gran Sport, and see if any of it looks like
    > what you have. "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters,
    >> 7-speed wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't
    > know
    >> what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this
    > gear?
    >> I can send good digital images.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for your help, Dave
    >> --

    dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > > "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >> Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters,
    > >> 7-speed wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't
    > > know
    > >> what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this
    > > gear?
    > >> I can send good digital images.

    > in article [email protected], pd7441 at [email protected] wrote on
    > 01/18/2003 06:03 AM:
    > > Based on the information you gave, which is about zip, who can say? Try searching ebay for Campy
    > > parts. Search for Nuovo Record, Super Record or maybe Gran Sport, and see if any of it looks
    > > like what you have.

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BA4EA178.20980%[email protected]...
    > If it's 7-speed, it's not likely to be Nuovo Record or Gran Sport. I
    forget
    > if Super Record was ever 7-speed. I think the most likely group is
    C-Record
    > or Croce d'Aune (i.e. post 50th Anniversary groups), if not more recent Record/Chorus/Athena
    > 7-speed groups.

    Seven speed Nuovo Record, Super Record Reduced, Super Record (and Super Record 50th!) was a common
    new bike format from about 1978 through about 1986. USA pro shops used mostly Suntour freewheels at
    the time. Yes, C-180 Croce d'Aune and the first Chorus were usually seven as well. Gran Sport bikes
    were usually six for reasons of cost, not compatibility. Factory equipped bicycles from Italy were
    mostly six until the late '80s.

  7. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Today I bought a Della Santa equipped with old-school Campy. You know, down-tube shifters, 7-speed
    > wheels, cranks, that kind of stuff. I don't
    know
    > what I have or even if I want it. Can any of you help me identify this
    gear?
    > I can send good digital images.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help, Dave
    > --