Any Casual shorts that are alternative to normal biking shorts?

wcngu1

Aug 13, 2006
I"m a bit hesistant on wearing bib shorts outside and was wondering if there was a type of short that looked casual/normal but was still relatively comfy on the bike. Something that when people saw me they woudln't immediately think "Those are some damn tight cycling shorts!" and something that no one would take a second glance at you if you popped into a supermarket to pick up some food and was in the Express queue.

So yeah I want something that is pretty much anonymous but is still ok in comfort but looks good haha :D If I can avoid the bib shorts and still be able to wear my underwear I"ll be a happy chap :cool: . Because knowing me I"d probably still wear underwear with bib shorts!!!!

wcngu1 said:
I"m a bit hesistant on wearing bib shorts outside and was wondering if there was a type of short that looked casual/normal but was still relatively comfy on the bike. Something that when people saw me they woudln't immediately think "Those are some damn tight cycling shorts!" and something that no one would take a second glance at you if you popped into a supermarket to pick up some food and was in the Express queue.

So yeah I want something that is pretty much anonymous but is still ok in comfort but looks good haha :D If I can avoid the bib shorts and still be able to wear my underwear I"ll be a happy chap :cool: . Because knowing me I"d probably still wear underwear with bib shorts!!!!

Two options: baggy mtb shorts with lots of pockets... tend to look like hiking shorts, not bad but I don't find them especially comfortable; or padded cycling underwear under whatever other kind of shorts you would normally wear - invisible to observers at the Quickie Mart

DiabloScott said:
Two options: baggy mtb shorts with lots of pockets... tend to look like hiking shorts, not bad but I don't find them especially comfortable; or padded cycling underwear under whatever other kind of shorts you would normally wear - invisible to observers at the Quickie Mart
Kleng showed me these liners http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C1308 which are pretty good. But is there any goodlooking mountain bike apparel that is known to be very comfortable? Is there the ASSOS of mountain biking apparel? :D

you can get baggy MTB shorts with **** padding

they might even have some at Action Cycles

wcngu1 said:

I was like you- a little reluctant to wear the shorts... I initially bought mountain biking shorts (though the brand escapes me right now)... but once I bought some bibs, thanks to information that I read here on the forums, I'm never going back to those MTB shorts again. Bibs are many times more comfortable than the MTB shorts, esp. on long rides.

Once I got comfortable being out in public wearing bibs, I started buying "pro fit" jerseys (read, tighter) because they wick sweat away more efficiently. My neighbor said, "Man, you've really gotten into this biking thing... with the tight shorts, the tight shirts..." and I said that they make a difference when you're biking 100+ miles a week.

Lessons I've learned from reading the boards and from my own trial and error-
-Bibs over MTB shorts or even lycra shorts
-Don't wear underwear with your shorts
-People don't care that you're wearing form-fitting clothes- they see you as a cyclist, and cyclists wear tight clothing
-If you're going to ride long distances, GET SOME CHAMOIS CREAM- it makes a huge difference

Just my 2 cents. Have a good season- it's probably just getting going there in the Southern hemisphere.

was7g said:
I was like you- a little reluctant to wear the shorts... I initially bought mountain biking shorts (though the brand escapes me right now)... but once I bought some bibs, thanks to information that I read here on the forums, I'm never going back to those MTB shorts again. Bibs are many times more comfortable than the MTB shorts, esp. on long rides.

Once I got comfortable being out in public wearing bibs, I started buying "pro fit" jerseys (read, tighter) because they wick sweat away more efficiently. My neighbor said, "Man, you've really gotten into this biking thing... with the tight shorts, the tight shirts..." and I said that they make a difference when you're biking 100+ miles a week.

Lessons I've learned from reading the boards and from my own trial and error-
-Bibs over MTB shorts or even lycra shorts
-Don't wear underwear with your shorts
-People don't care that you're wearing form-fitting clothes- they see you as a cyclist, and cyclists wear tight clothing
-If you're going to ride long distances, GET SOME CHAMOIS CREAM- it makes a huge difference

Just my 2 cents. Have a good season- it's probably just getting going there in the Southern hemisphere.
Haha thats great advice! I will definately move on to bibs shorts eventually but I"m just getting back into cycling and am going to first burn down my excess fat first as I have gained alot of weight being sedentary for the last two years. I used to be an athletic size 30 inch waist but now I"m 34!!! I dont' want to buy tight bib shorts now because they will end up too big for me and I"ll have to buy another pair so once I hit around 31-32 inches again I"ll go for the bib shorts and have a compact ass to show off to the girls with :D hehe

This is my biking jersey, I was hoping to find something just as nice looking to match it :cool: .
C600.jpg

These look pretty ok Details are :
Woven MTB short with removable mesh liner and chamois, zippered vents with mesh backing, zippered pockets and logos.

What do you guys think? its a bit expenseive though (as usual from oakley...) probably not worth it but its a start haha time to find soemthing cheaper and similar... these are $200 aussie dollars... a bit much for shorts -_-

44b7e061949f2.png_0_0_0.jpg

This one is alot cheaper Oakley Slab shorts / £30.00 (SRP £45.00)
Slab%20a.jpg

I wear bibs and weigh just under 320 pounds...

Cycling shorts are about efficiency and physical comfort. Don't waste your money on anything that compromises either of those for looks.

The worst that can happen is that you get harrassed, and then you can use that as motivation for losing weight more quickly.

I use Sportif Original cargo shorts, I use it far more often than my bib shorts.

670170_01_v12.jpg

Comes in many colors .

Longer inseam version(7.5") called Hattera.

618162_56_v12.jpg

Both versions come in two different weight material, one 5.4oz. another 8oz.

They wear like iron, I had them for many years and showing no sign of wear (yet). It doesn't say it's for bicycle riding but it has double layer in the seat part, so they may have designed for it. The material stretchs and very unrestrictive, it doesn't give you a feel of pulling your legs like other stiff shorts material.

I used to think they were expensive but at under $50.-, it sounds like a bargain these days. If you don't mind about the limited color selection, they often have sale, selling them at about $30.-.

i guess i don't understand. if you're riding a road bike you have already conceded that you are willing to put up with a bit of discomfort to ride something that is fast and efficient (vs. a mtb bike or hybrid). why compromise the speed and efficiency by worrying about what other people are thinking during the 1% of your ride that you have to get off and go in a store? if you're that worried about it, stop riding a road bike and get something with a big padded seat, bell, and a basket.

no offense to those of you that have the above bike, it's just that if you're going to be riding a road bike, do it. don't sacrifice speed and comfort just because the girl behind the starbucks counter wrinkles her nose at your protruding package.

Sounds like you a little shy, I wouldnt really care too much about what other people think but then again when I go riding, I just go riding no popping into shops really. I carry all my food and water.
Just wear what you feel comfortable in, if you just ducking up the road just wear your normal shorts.
If you doing a ride for 1 hour or 3 to 4 hours plus then I would say then bibs or nicks are important for comfort.
As for scareing the locals and wildlife, why bother caring you don't know them from a bar of soap and they aint the one getting a rash a sore ass.
As for the comments "leave something for the imagination" it doesn't take an imagination to know what a 99.9% of normal guys pack in their shorts.Like hello?? And server them right for perving!!!
biggrin.gif

In general I never found it a problem even on a MTB/offroad. MTB baggy short culture you know but then again I ride up the hill not just downhill.
Just buy some bibs/shorts and throw some boardies or regular shorts over the top until you feel comfortable or fitter looking. I usually just wear boardies for a short half hour spin to go somewear.
NOBODY CARES as much as you think. Maybe think how serious you are about riding in comfort?

PEACE!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

cheapie said:
i guess i don't understand. if you're riding a road bike you have already conceded that you are willing to put up with a bit of discomfort to ride something that is fast and efficient (vs. a mtb bike or hybrid). why compromise the speed and efficiency by worrying about what other people are thinking during the 1% of your ride that you have to get off and go in a store? if you're that worried about it, stop riding a road bike and get something with a big padded seat, bell, and a basket.

no offense to those of you that have the above bike, it's just that if you're going to be riding a road bike, do it. don't sacrifice speed and comfort just because the girl behind the starbucks counter wrinkles her nose at your protruding package.
:D:D:D LOL I love your comment, Cheapie.

Anyhoo, I just found this and maybe this product related to your situation:p:
http://www.phantomcycles.com.au/product.php?productid=3263&cat=201&page=1

I agree with Rockslayer, bike shorts make good underwear if you don't want to walk around in tights.

Don't wear regular underwear if you do go ahead and get the MTB shorts. You'll chafe and they will hold the sweat in. If you absolutely must, then get some wicking underwear, not cotton.

If you don't ride all that far, like myself most days, just wear some athletic shorts such as for basketball or jogging. Their fabric wicks sweat as well as bike stuff, and they won't chafe if your ride is under an hour or so. The best part is you can buy a week's worth cheaply, so you could wear fresh ones on the commute every day.

garage sale GT said:
If you don't ride all that far, like myself most days, just wear some athletic shorts such as for basketball or jogging. Their .

I'm a little bit of an odd ball on this. I have lots of cycling shorts, and use them on long rides, but on my daily 14 mile commute to work, or on my regular 20 milers, I just wear regular nylon athletic shorts that are a little short (mid thigh length). They might be a little old school compared to todays preference in those long (and ugly) basketball shorts kids wear, but I'm after ventilation in my old age. My thighs sweat buckets and I ride hard, and I cant stand those long shorts that go almost to the knee that restrict my ventilation, screw up my tan, and make me feel stuffy when I ride.

I dont wear socks either, for the same reason, so I guess I'm "Lost in the Seventies" with my old Diadoras, short shorts, and riding a twenty year old Tommasini Columbus SL bike.

~ besides, chicks seem to dig the "old pro" look for some reason. :confused:

I'm with Garagesale GT; if i'm only cycling a short distance or even often when commuting I wear tight lycra gym shorts under a regular pair of shorts. When I'm going for a proper ride on the weekends then i'll wear proper cycling gear. Hopefully this means my cycling gear will last that little bit longer.