Any Cheap Bike Finds?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by 1 CycleNut, Jul 16, 2004.

1. 1 CycleNut

1 CycleNut New Member

Has anybody ran across a good deal lately? Rare bike for cheap? Vintage bikes cheap? Let us know about your finds, what did you score? how much? where did you get it? Thanks! Keep on Cyclin!:D

Tags:

2. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Just got it yesterday - early 70's Falcon San Remo, been hanging in a garage for 20 years. Grungy, but it's cleaning up beautifully. All Campy NR, Reynolds 531, and this time the frame is the right size for me - 24" (my other classic has a 22" frame, too small for me) $230. Not bad - just the steel cage Campy pedals on it are worth $100.

3. 1 CycleNut

1 CycleNut New Member

:D
    :D Wow thats GREAT! You done FANTASTIC! Thats the kind of stories that I love to hear! Keep em commin! Thanks JohnO Terry S............ Naples Florida:D :D :D

4. cd667

cd667 New Member

About a month ago I bought a 1960s Claud Butler road bike for £8 from a car boot sale. The bike is beautifully made with prugnat lugs and possibly the thinnest seat/chainstays I've ever seen, a lot lighter than my modern Dawes Galaxy. It's a bit too big for me, so I have to get rid of it, though... :(

5. Daremo

Daremo New Member

FleaBay has really good deals on vintage stuff since no one knows what they are looking at, or doesn't want the older stuff ........

6. gregski

gregski New Member

Is a "car boot sale" like our garage sales, where people buy other people's junk?

7. frozbyte

frozbyte New Member

about two months ago i came across an older trek 1000 for 25 bucks

8. cd667

cd667 New Member

It's a sale usually held in a big field which people bring anything they want to sell (I suppose "boot" means "trunk" to my friends from across the pond).

It's a very British thing, going to car boot sales and buying things you don't really need then getting soaked in the rain.:)

9. 1 CycleNut

1 CycleNut New Member

:D Sounds like a good time to be had!:D I like going to stuff like that never knowin what you'll find huh?:cool: Thanks for the reply Terry S......... :)

10. 1 CycleNut

1 CycleNut New Member

:D JOLLY GOOD! Exelt. find! some people have all the luck! heheheh!:cool:

11. 1 CycleNut

1 CycleNut New Member

:) Thats a GOOD find also ! Thats the ones I like and there is a lot of em out there too!:D

12. Scott E

Scott E New Member

Last week I found an old 70's Gitane 10 spd for $10 at a garage sale. The guy said he bought it new in the early 70s. Problem is I'm not sure how to tell exactly what model it is. It says Campagnolo on the shifters and derailers, Mafac Racer on the brakes, Pivo on the handlebar stem and Rigida on the rims. Paint is white and the sticker by the seat says custome made in France.
    Paint has scratches, tires are cracked but hold air and it could use some new cables but other than that it all works ands rides good.
    Wife wants to put it on Ebay
    Scott
    from Tulsa, Oklahoma U.S.A.

13. antikeye

antikeye New Member

Metalflake cherry F. W. Evans (London) lightweight tourer ca. 1988, handbuilt frame, Campy hubs, Wolber Super Champion 58 rims, early Deore RD, front and rear Jim Blackburn racks. Gold Esge fenders. Holdsworthy presta pump included. Probably less than 500 miles on it to judge from the shiny components.

Twenty-five dollars plus tax at an Austin Goodwill.