Any cheap sources of sunscreen?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug

Doug Guest

Hey all,

Any places online or other where, say, a gallon can be bought cheap?

I realize this is not relevant to the group, but for lack of a better place. I've searched the 'net
    and Dejanews for info already. To at least have technical content, I prefer SPF 45 with UVA/UVB,
    moisturizers, water/sweat resistance, and known good quality. Homemade, which I've read about, is
    out of the question.

I have to think some fellow bikers have faced the same problem, namely high sunscreen costs. I go
    through about $10 of per 1.5 weeks or so when I and my SO are in the heavy cycling season, which
    lasts 9 months or more in So. Cal. That really adds up quick.

Thanks, Doug

Tags:

2. Gary German

Gary German Guest

"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Any places online or other where, say, a gallon can be bought cheap?
    >
    > I realize this is not relevant to the group, but for lack of a better place. I've searched the
    > 'net and Dejanews for info already. To at least have technical content, I prefer SPF 45 with
    > UVA/UVB, moisturizers, water/sweat resistance, and known good quality. Homemade, which I've read
    > about, is out of the question.
    >
    > I have to think some fellow bikers have faced the same problem, namely high sunscreen costs. I go
    > through about $10 of per 1.5 weeks or so when I and my SO are in the heavy cycling season, which
    > lasts 9 months or more in So. Cal. That really adds up quick.
    >
    > Thanks, Doug

Haven't used 'em, but a Google search for "bulk sunscreen" turned up this:

http://www.rmsunscreen.com/sunscreen.htm

Gary G.

3. Bruce

Bruce Guest

Doug wrote:
    > Hey all,
    >
    > Any places online or other where, say, a gallon can be bought cheap?

Lots of places sell it by the litre, but I'm guessing you meant to ask on a LOCAL newsgroup?

4. Bob Denton

Bob Denton Guest

On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 22:36:59 -0800, "Gary German" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote:

>"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Hey all,
    >>
    >> Any places online or other where, say, a gallon can be bought cheap?
    The Dollar Store! That's where I buy all my sunscreen. Some brands are better than others in terms
    of feel, etc, but I usually get SPF 40-50 for $1 a bottle. The last batch I had was blueberry?! I
    typically buy 5 or 10 at a time.

I used it this weekend riding 100 miles at 91F!

cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers of
    Sink the Stink

5. Paul Kopit

Paul Kopit Guest

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 06:22:31 GMT, Doug <[email protected]> wrote:

>Any places online or other where, say, a gallon can be bought cheap?

99ยข Stores

Somewhere in this link <http://tinyurl.com/76qd> is a private label manufacturer of cosmetics. Phone
    one of them. I know there are several in the San Fernando Valley and also in Riverside County.

PS: I don't think that there are performance differences between 45 and 30.

6. Gary Young

Gary Young Guest

Doug <[email protected]> wrote: <snip>
    > I have to think some fellow bikers have faced the same problem, namely high sunscreen costs. I go
    > through about $10 of per 1.5 weeks or so when I and my SO are in the heavy cycling season, which
    > lasts 9 months or more in So. Cal. That really adds up quick.

Your message brought a ray of sunshine into my life. As I was riding to work this morning in the
    20-degree weather, dodging ice patches and winter potholes, I thought to myself, "At least I don't
    have that sunscreen problem." :)

7. Doug

Doug Guest

>> I have to think some fellow bikers have faced the same problem, namely high sunscreen costs.
    >
    >Your message brought a ray of sunshine into my life. As I was riding to work this morning in the
    >20-degree weather, dodging ice patches and winter potholes, I thought to myself, "At least I don't
    >have that sunscreen problem." :)

rotfl!

8. Gary Smiley

Gary Smiley Guest

It might not seem that way, but actually the sun is getting pretty strong this time of year
    regardless of the temperature.

Gary Young wrote:

> As I was riding to work this morning in the 20-degree weather, dodging ice patches and winter
    > potholes, I thought to myself, "At least I don't have that sunscreen problem." :)

9. Dick

Dick Guest

Fortunately winter clothing tends to have a fairly high spf. Next.

Gary Smiley wrote:
    > It might not seem that way, but actually the sun is getting pretty strong this time of year
    > regardless of the temperature.
    >
    > Gary Young wrote:
    >
    >
    >>As I was riding to work this morning in the 20-degree weather, dodging ice patches and winter
    >>potholes, I thought to myself, "At least I don't have that sunscreen problem." :)

10. Billx

Billx Guest

Less real estate to cover in winter but still need to treat the face if you're sun sensitive as snow
    acts like a reflector magnifying the sun's rays
    :-(

Dick wrote in message ...
    >Fortunately winter clothing tends to have a fairly high spf. Next.
    >
    >Gary Smiley wrote:
    >> It might not seem that way, but actually the sun is getting pretty strong this time of year
    >> regardless of the temperature.
    >>
    >> Gary Young wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>As I was riding to work this morning in the 20-degree weather, dodging ice patches and winter
    >>>potholes, I thought to myself, "At least I don't have that sunscreen problem." :)
    >>
    >

11. Rincon

Rincon Guest

Is it morning yet in Alaska?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 07:34:23 -0500, Bob Denton <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 9 Mar 2003 22:36:59 -0800, "Gary German" <[email protected]_NOSPAMX_.net> wrote:
    >
    >>"Doug" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>> Hey all,
    >>>
    >>> Any places online or other where, say, a gallon can be bought cheap?
    >The Dollar Store! That's where I buy all my sunscreen. Some brands are better than others in terms
    >of feel, etc, but I usually get SPF 40-50 for $1 a bottle. The last batch I had was blueberry?! I
    >typically buy 5 or 10 at a time.
    >
    >I used it this weekend riding 100 miles at 91F!
    >
    >cya Bob Denton Gulf Stream International Delray Beach, Florida www.sinkthestink.com Manufacturers
    >of Sink the Stink

12. Gary Smiley

Gary Smiley Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.