Any Christian cyclist out there?

dgregory57 said:
If he rode at all, it is more likely that he would ride something like an old Western Flyer 3 speed.

Actually, the Bible seems to say that he walked almost everywhere (other than Palm Sunday and a couple of boat rides) so why is it an assumption that he would ride a bike? And if he did, it definitely would not be the latest trend (like a fixie).

Just one agnostic's opinion.

One thing is for sure, a hippy like jesus wouldn't ride a proper bike. He'd have some ***** hybrid or something. Something he could carry his sandles in.

And another thing, when it rains he would have the only bike in the world which suffers from aquaplaning!

dgregory57 said:
If he rode at all, it is more likely that he would ride something like an old Western Flyer 3 speed.

Actually, the Bible seems to say that he walked almost everywhere (other than Palm Sunday and a couple of boat rides) so why is it an assumption that he would ride a bike? And if he did, it definitely would not be the latest trend (like a fixie).

Just one agnostic's opinion.
You're one serious dude. I was kind of kidding, you know, trying to lighten up a tense thread.

MichaelB said:
One thing is for sure, a hippy like jesus wouldn't ride a proper bike. He'd have some ***** hybrid or something. Something he could carry his sandles in.

And another thing, when it rains he would have the only bike in the world which suffers from aquaplaning!
Hey I never thought of that...maybe a recumbent? Hippies just LOVE those things (okay, I will take my tongue out of my cheek now).:D :D

GatorTrek said:
Intolerance?

Yeah, so?

Why do people have to be tolerant? My thinking is that if something goes against your nature then I reckon it is wrong. Thats because our behaviour has evolved as much as our physical bodies have and so everything from getting in a fight to having sympathy for others is all part of what we need or have needed to survive.

Me being intolerant I suppose is because I naturally assume my blood is superior to everyone elses' and hence the world should be full of my clones and no-one elses'. If I'm no better than anyone else my genes will be unsuccessful and my intolerance will be proved wrong by the removal of what makes me from the human gene pool. Go on just try prove me wrong. I'll kill you :mad:

And whilst we are on the subject empathy, selflessness and just generally being nice is not so important to an athiest like me because the only possible reason for me to be nice is because it feels like the right thing for me to do. It actually does feel like the right thing for me to do and I prefer to be a nice person than a git but there is no extraordinary reason for me to be nice.

I dont just not believe in God I also am happy with the fact that there is no good reason for me to be alive along with any other animal or plant on the planet. It would be a tragedy for humans if we were all wiped out but thats about it - its not really that important unless you are a human. People who think it is are so arrogant thinking they are so important. Try looking beyond this crappy little planet.

This is a fascinating thread: I'm actually impressed about how civil people are concerning their religious beliefs. Another message board I'm on would have people going "My god is better than your God, nyah nyah" and the other saying "Alahuakbar! I'm gonna put a Jihad on you!" or whatever. It's generally stupid and surreal.

A few points I'd like to throw out there, and see if it can inspire conversation or so...

1: my co-worker (Troy) has suggested that religion is a wonderful thing. What the problem is, of course...is CHURCH. Because the books in various religions, like the Bible, the Torah, the Qur'an, the Book of Mormon...whether you believe in them or not...are great books, but it's independant thought that corrupts their teachings. The father of a girl I dated a few years ago put it well: he told me that he could "make the Bible tell me that I should abstain from all romantic and sexual conduct for the rest of my life". He was one of the types who would engage someone in a religious conversation regardless of whether they were interested or not. I quite despised him.

2: I would never want to wear a Christian t-shirt...but on the same principles as to why I don't wear anything with any logos or whatever. I HATE LABELS. I don't wear a Nike jersey with the huge swoosh on the front. I refuse to buy anything with brand recognition on it that's way out there. One simple reason: I'm not for sale, and I don't believe in advertising for another company.

The Christian jersey is another thing for me: I don't believe in evangelism..at least total, outward evangelism. I hate seeing JWs handing out their religious magazines everywhere, and seeing people passing out tracts bothers me. I'm a Christian as well, but I'm not out there saying "Hi, beautiful day God has made, do you know about Jesus Christ?"...or whatever else. Faith, to me, should be practiced inwardly as opposed to outwardly. Does that make any sense?

In my area there are lots of Christian Bicyclists, comprised of Mormon missionarys who ride around where I live. They are assigned riding districts to do missionary stuff in. Further south, Scientology rules, and Scientologists prefer to commute by foot power rather than gas power, In Clearwater. I guess me being a beliver in Christ, that makes me a Christian Bicyclest too, though I also share Tenspeeder's disdain for outward evangelism, or wearing any other form of logo on my person. My wardrobe is simple - plain, black shirts, and plain black shorts and pants.

For those interested in reading about these matters, I suggest "The End of Faith." Check it out on one of the online booksellers.

I've always respected people more for how they act as Christians, moreso than how they rope people in. I've always believed that people should come on their own to Jesus, as opposed to being forced or coerced. Does that make sense

Blademun, your area sounds wicked crazy. :)

I wear numerous labels: worker, cyclist, boyfriend, Christian, gamer....but the only one that realy matters is the best label: the very label I've been wearing since I was born in 1977: ME.

Blademun said:
In my area there are lots of Christian Bicyclists, comprised of Mormon missionarys who ride around where I live. They are assigned riding districts to do missionary stuff in. Further south, Scientology rules, and Scientologists prefer to commute by foot power rather than gas power, In Clearwater. I guess me being a beliver in Christ, that makes me a Christian Bicyclest too, though I also share Tenspeeder's disdain for outward evangelism, or wearing any other form of logo on my person. My wardrobe is simple - plain, black shirts, and plain black shorts and pants.

Chad - The previously mentioned ChristianCycling.com has a chapter south of you in Powder Springs. Meanwhile, another fine Christian organization is WheelPower.org... there is no GA chapter for this group. I am east of you in the vicinity of Mall of GA/fyi.

Chad-GA said:
Want a way to show off your faith while doing something you love?

Me too, unfortuanately you will not find anything like that at any typical cycling apparel retailer.

There is a place you can go to get a cool cycling jersey that will give you an opportunity to be a witness for Christ in a bold way. Check out the jersey at http://www.unfulfilled.org (click on the "Tools for Sowing Seeds" link on the left).

In Jesus's last words before ascending into Heaven, he commands his disciples to go and make disciples and to teach and baptize them. (Mark 16:20; Matthew 28:19, 20) It is "The Great Commission".

It is a powerful way to witness and is inspiring just to wear it proudly. Let me know if you would like a better picture of me wearing it or if you need a sizing chart. I would be happy to send you either.

God Bless!
Chad
I went to the site and could not find the jersey. Did I miss it, or is it gone?

Wear yours with pride, Chad, and may God bless you in all you do.

Tenspeeder said:
.... religion is a wonderful thing. What the problem is, of course...is CHURCH. Because the books in various religions are great books, but it's independant thought that corrupts their teachings. The father of a girl I dated a few years ago put it well: he told me that he could "make the Bible tell me that I should abstain from all romantic and sexual conduct for the rest of my life".
I don't get your statement on "independent thought" - are you saying that churchgoers should just shut up and do what the church leaders tell them, or that the institutionalization of religion is what screws up a beautiful thing?

stevecycles said:
I went to the site and could not find the jersey. Did I miss it, or is it gone?
Religious hatred has become a little less fashionable with the end of the Dubya regime. Or maybe people decided they did not want to look like a jackass by sticking their religion in the faces of everyone around them.

BikePacker said:
Chad - The previously mentioned ChristianCycling.com has a chapter south of you in Powder Springs. Meanwhile, another fine Christian organization is WheelPower.org... there is no GA chapter for this group. I am east of you in the vicinity of Mall of GA/fyi.
wqq

Not being judgmental here, I'm a man of faith, as well, but I feel like you have a piece missing...you feel the need to belong to another group?

My faith impacts my cycling thusly: the Father has put me in this Creation, given me this passion and the ability to pursue it, and also given me simple and fundamental beauties to take in as I indulge. He has given me beautiful children who share this passion. Further, He gives me daily the reason not to commit atrocities I would likely pursue if I had no faith or hope. (Translation: if there were no Father, why would I live the 'right' life? If life as it is were all of existence, I wouldn't restrain my darker impulses.)

I am my Father's child; that is all I need. All else is luxury.

Edit: btw, I do not consider myself 'christian'; if you need to classify me, call me 'messianic'. I follow the Father that you do, I just know Him a bit more...familiarly.

Jesus spent his entire life getting persecuted to save lost souls. No matter where he went, he taught the Truth with no guilt and no shame. As Christians, we should follow in his footsteps. As far as I'm concerned, being a Christian is the hardest way through life. Not only do we fight our own battles with good and evil, we fight the world as well.

“If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. John 15:18-20

So all the hate in this thread is to be expected. The great deceiver is always working hard to keep lost souls lost and believers suffering. But what few realize is that this world will pass and soon we will all meet our Jesus Christ face to face.

It's disheartening to read this thread where others are making a mockery of Jesus. But things never change. Even on Christ's dying day men taunted him to come down from the cross. But he didn't. Not for the people that believed him, but for the men that nailed him to that cross.

But as Christians, we use Jesus as our hope and inspiration. He is the way, the truth, and the life. And I think your jersey makes that statement.

Chad, I like every other human born into this world was lost. But thankfully Jesus found his way into my heart and I am a believer.

No offense to anybody who's posted on this thread, but this whole thing reminds me of just about every scene from Religulous.

Bill Maher: *asks a question*
Believer: *answers indirectly*
Bill Maher: *asks for clarification*
Believer: *takes offense and begins their testimony*

Seriously... It's great if people have faith on their own terms, but making claims such as others being "lost" for not sharing that faith = scare tactics. If somebody is going to believe in a given faith, I would appreciate it if they didn't feel the need to share it with everybody.

To reference one of the OP's comments: If I won the lottery, well, to be honest I'd probably put it in the bank and live my life a little more comfortably without letting too many people know... Why? Because it's not the money that matters, but what I do with my life despite all of it.... Or in terms of faith: It isn't the label or belief, but rather the actions you carry out without anybody other than yourself knowing why you do it. Otherwise... it seems outright vain to flaunt one's faith. Keep it in your heads/hearts... Why put it on a jersey????

bigpedaler said:
Not being judgmental here, I'm a man of faith, as well, but I feel like you have a piece missing...you feel the need to belong to another group?
How hypocritical do you have to be before you accept the title? You state "not being judgmental here...", but then you go on to state your judgment - "you feel need to belong to another group". Apparently, you should know to "judge not, lest ye be judged".