Any Christian cyclist out there?

Chad-GA said:
How would you guys feel if someone rode up to you in an "American Atheists" jersey? - I'd probably kind of feel a little bit sorry for him or her.

Would you feel like striking up a conversation about the weather with him/her? - Sure, why not. I am not offended by people that are atheists. I was one only about 7 or 8 months ago.

Would your first impression be a negative one? - I can't say my impression would be positive, but more sympathetic than negative.

Would you feel insulted in some way? - Not even a little bit.

Would you be embarassed to be seen with him? Would you refuse to ride with him? - Not at all. Actually quite the contrary. I am guessing that someone like that probably does not have an opportunity or desire to hang out with someone with strong Christian beliefs. I am a pretty normal guy actually with a great sense of humor. I have a great family, a great job and some great friends, some that live with Christ in their hearts and others that do not. I am not some bible beating kook that does not have a sense for reality. Like I said before, I am just thankful that my heart and mind were opened at this stage in my life so that I may experience the abundant life that is promised me through faith in Jesus Christ. I just hope that I can expose others to that in whatever way I can. That jersey is just one of those ways.

Would you get defensive? - No, but I would be curious. When I decided to follow Christ, I was transformed. I am sure that sounds silly to you (it used to to me), but I know what he has done for me and my wife does too. It has been an amazing experience for me, kind of like winning the lottery in a way. If you won the lottery, wouldn't you want to tell others. That is kind of how I feel. To be honest, I have a hard time understanding why other Christian's don't tell more people about their salvation and changed life.

Anyway, why would someone choose to boldly state that they are an atheist? It would be kind of like wearing a shirt that said "I am a know it all, just ask me". Okay, whatever floats your boat. I hope that make sense.

Chad,

I'm glad you stayed in this thread and answered the questions as completely as respectfully as you have.

I have to admit that, although I considered myself a committed Christian, I rolled my eyes at your first post. And no, I would not consider wearing a jersey that labelled me a Christian. Why do I feel that way?

Well, I wouldn't want to wear a jersey like that because I would not want to solicit the reaction that you got from Cydewayse. Kudos to you for handling it well, by the way. But I would not want the first reaction to my faith to be a negative one.

For that reason, I do not walk around looking for ways to label myself. I look for ways to demonstrate my faith. I try to be polite, considerate, alert to the needs of others, etc. I also try hard (with varying degress of success) to live outside my WASP comfort zone, and take people as I find them. So when people get know me as a good person, I can discuss the importance of my faith in a less confrontational manner.

IMHO, faith is greater than a label. So calling myself a "Christian Cyclist" is off-putting, in my mind. Christianity and cycling are not related and trying to link them is forced and artificial, like asking about Gay Cyclists or Democrat Cyclists. What on earth does one have to do with the other? A cyclist is a person who likes to ride a bike. You can do that whatever other labels apply to you.

Labels are something that we throw on people to control them and diminish them. Faith is something freeing. It frees us from thinking of the world as something to overcome. Faith frees us from looking at people as 2 dimensional. Instead people and the world are things to be embraced and to work with. And faith has this power whether it is a faith in Budha, Allah or one's self. I have found in my wanderings, however, that the person of Jesus Christ is the most powerful guide I can ask for in my journeys.

I respect that you are looking for a means of witnessing the importance or your relationship with Christ. I certainly don't want to cast any aspertions about that! I did want to express how such things appear to others, including some other Christians.

Good luck and God bless,
Padraic

HenryLaRoy said:
Chad,

I'm glad you stayed in this thread and answered the questions as completely as respectfully as you have.

I have to admit that, although I considered myself a committed Christian, I rolled my eyes at your first post. And no, I would not consider wearing a jersey that labelled me a Christian. Why do I feel that way?

Well, I wouldn't want to wear a jersey like that because I would not want to solicit the reaction that you got from Cydewayse. Kudos to you for handling it well, by the way. But I would not want the first reaction to my faith to be a negative one.

For that reason, I do not walk around looking for ways to label myself. I look for ways to demonstrate my faith. I try to be polite, considerate, alert to the needs of others, etc. I also try hard (with varying degress of success) to live outside my WASP comfort zone, and take people as I find them. So when people get know me as a good person, I can discuss the importance of my faith in a less confrontational manner.

IMHO, faith is greater than a label. So calling myself a "Christian Cyclist" is off-putting, in my mind. Christianity and cycling are not related and trying to link them is forced and artificial, like asking about Gay Cyclists or Democrat Cyclists. What on earth does one have to do with the other? A cyclist is a person who likes to ride a bike. You can do that whatever other labels apply to you.

Labels are something that we throw on people to control them and diminish them. Faith is something freeing. It frees us from thinking of the world as something to overcome. Faith frees us from looking at people as 2 dimensional. Instead people and the world are things to be embraced and to work with. And faith has this power whether it is a faith in Budha, Allah or one's self. I have found in my wanderings, however, that the person of Jesus Christ is the most powerful guide I can ask for in my journeys.

I respect that you are looking for a means of witnessing the importance or your relationship with Christ. I certainly don't want to cast any aspertions about that! I did want to express how such things appear to others, including some other Christians.

Good luck and God bless,
Padraic
Padraic, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I appreciate your comments and respect your opinion, Obviously, it is critically important that my actions reflect my walk. That comes first for sure, I agree. As for much of the rest, I respectfully disagree.

I am not sure what to say about your issue with the label. It seems kind of silly to rant about that. The fact is I am a Christain and and enjoy cycling. Like my faith, it is something I am passionate about. In cycling apparelas with any kind of clothing, you can find all kinds of designs, some more wild than others. It is a way for each of us to show off our personalities just a little bit to the world. We do not separate our personalities from our activities. My faith is part of what makes me who I am, so finding a way to show it off is just natural to me. I am also kind of bold and straight-forward, so just putting a little fish symbol on my car was not enough for me.

I am sure there are people that are going to be offended by me wearing that jersey. I can accept that. Those are not really the people I am trying to reach. There are going to be people I meet out on the trail who may be at a crossroads in their lives. People that are looking for an answer to why life is so hard or whatever. Hopefully they will see that there is someone out there like them who has similar interests and is having fun with life, but maybe has discovered answers that they are still searching to find.

I am willing to bet you are not afraid of labeling yourself as a cyclist and proudly showing that off in whatever way you choose to do it. Why are you afraid to publicly label yourself as a follower of Christ?

I may offend some, but it seems to me that my methods are more in line with what Christ told his disciples to do than yours. This message is pretty clear throughout the New Testament. Check it out for yourself.

Thanks again for your comments.

Your Brother,
Chad

Chad-GA said:
Padraic, thanks for the thoughtful reply. I appreciate your comments and respect your opinion, Obviously, it is critically important that my actions reflect my walk. That comes first for sure, I agree. As for much of the rest, I respectfully disagree.

I am not sure what to say about your issue with the label. It seems kind of silly to rant about that. The fact is I am a Christain and and enjoy cycling. Like my faith, it is something I am passionate about. In cycling apparelas with any kind of clothing, you can find all kinds of designs, some more wild than others. It is a way for each of us to show off our personalities just a little bit to the world. We do not separate our personalities from our activities. My faith is part of what makes me who I am, so finding a way to show it off is just natural to me. I am also kind of bold and straight-forward, so just putting a little fish symbol on my car was not enough for me.

I am sure there are people that are going to be offended by me wearing that jersey. I can accept that. Those are not really the people I am trying to reach. There are going to be people I meet out on the trail who may be at a crossroads in their lives. People that are looking for an answer to why life is so hard or whatever. Hopefully they will see that there is someone out there like them who has similar interests and is having fun with life, but maybe has discovered answers that they are still searching to find.

I am willing to bet you are not afraid of labeling yourself as a cyclist and proudly showing that off in whatever way you choose to do it. Why are you afraid to publicly label yourself as a follower of Christ?

I may offend some, but it seems to me that my methods are more in line with what Christ told his disciples to do than yours. This message is pretty clear throughout the New Testament. Check it out for yourself.

Thanks again for your comments.

Your Brother,
Chad
Actually, I DON'T label myself as a cyclist. I like to describe myself as "a guy who likes to ride a bike.

Why I dislike your tendency to use a label is two things.

First, you say you "feel sorry" for aetheists. IMHO, this only makes peope angry with Christians. I am uncomfortable pointing that out, but if you in fact do feel sorry for anyone saying so is usually a mistake. Sorry if that is more critical than critique

Second, labels can be hidden behind. I would never want to join a "Christian Cycling Club" because I don't believe it serves my call to ministry to withdraw from the world and associate only with Christians. To be fair, it sounds very much like you would eschew this also, but the initial title put that in mind. However, many Christians do just that. And frankly it stinks of elitism as does the feeling sorry for aetheists thing.

I point this out to help, if I can.

Finally, as someone pointed out, if you are charging $75 a pop for these jerseys, than this is an ad. Ads should be in the Classifieds section. IMHO, people who have the little fish on the backs of their cars should be careful to follow the traffic regs and this is a similar situation. If you are "witnessing" than you should do so while following the highest possible ethical standards.

God bless,
Padraic

well now, that's exactly why i don't put the fish on my car. I drive like an a**hole!

This is the classified section, in any event...just look at the 'cycling singles' ad up at the top of the page

i did run the Boston Marathon with a "Team Jesus" blazoned on my tank top.
sure it gave me a chance to witness.

also brought great joy to the gumbas lining the race route who gleefully shouted HEY, TEAM HAY--SOOSE!

and yes, that's funny. i dont think i thought it was all that funny back then.....i was wrapped pretty tight.

maybe i've grown out of doing stuff like this.
or maybe i was never saved in the first place.
oh no, i had better go back to the altar and get saved again.

hey just having a little fun.

besides...i'll focus on seeing my wifey and daughter into glory

"IMHO, people who have the little fish on the backs of their cars should be careful to follow the traffic regs and this is a similar situation. If you are "witnessing" than you should do so while following the highest possible ethical standards."

The beauity of salvation is that we are all sinful by nature. The difference being the ability to recognize your sins and show the wilingness to change or, or at least try, to change.

The fact that Chad is not ashamed of showing his loyality to the Lord is testiment. Why shun a Christian cyclist for wearing a jersey that shows his/her faith and not the guy wearing the full team kit showing the loyality to his/her favorite team?

Thank Cod for HenryLaRoy. At least someone is making sense.

snyper0311 said:
The beauity of salvation is that we are all sinful by nature. The difference being the ability to recognize your sins and show the wilingness to change or, or at least try, to change.
Just because there is no god I'm unable to comprehend the need to be a better person?

Chad-GA said:
I am sure there are people that are going to be offended by me wearing that jersey. I can accept that. Those are not really the people I am trying to reach.
Why not? Aren't they worth it?

Chad-GA said:
There are going to be people I meet out on the trail who may be at a crossroads in their lives. People that are looking for an answer to why life is so hard or whatever.
Vulnerable people? :confused:

I happened to venture in to this thread.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading some of the posts here.

Damn! I knew I was missing something!!!!! I need a jersey with a Mogen David on it!!!

:p

Christian and Jewish cyclists arrived at Judaism's holiest site on Thursday on a pilgrimage from the Vatican, in an unusual effort to understand each other's religion.

The 10 bikers pedaled onto the stone plaza at the Western Wall in the Old City of Jerusalem, a remnant of the biblical Jewish Temple compound, after a three-week trip across Italy, Greece and Israel, starting at St. Peter's Square in the Vatican.

Ed Kessler, head of Cambridge University's Center for the Study of Jewish-Christian Relations, talked about the rewards of such an undertaking.

"You come back at the end of a long day, you're tired, and you sit down looking at texts together and you talk about it as friends," Kessler said. "That's fundamental learning."

Among the 30 participants involved in various stages of the pilgrimage were a Polish student, a financial consultant, a Jewish mother and a college chaplain. The group has raised nearly $60,000 to support interfaith dialogue and understanding, organizers said.

Rabbi Arieh Banner, who helps supervise activities at the Western Wall, said it was the first time he saw people riding bikes into the plaza during his 17 years there, but he was glad to see the spirit of the international group "who have come in the name of faith and peace."

Claire Malone-Lee, 64, a cyclist and student of Jewish-Christian relations, said the group's discussions have challenged each other's preconceived ideas about religious texts or the prospects for peace in Israel.

"All you hear about is the complexity of the situation here, but really when you arrive, hopefulness is reinforced wherever you go," said Malone-Lee, who is from Cambridge, England.

The bikers were awarded special certificates and 'Israel loves you' buttons by the Tourism Ministry.

ptlwp said:
Christian and Jewish cyclists arrived at Judaism's holiest site on Thursday on a pilgrimage from the Vatican, in an unusual effort to understand each other's religion.

The 10 bikers pedaled onto the stone plaza at the Western Wall in the Old City of Jerusalem, a remnant of the biblical Jewish Temple compound, after a three-week trip across Italy, Greece and Israel, starting at St. Peter's Square in the Vatican.

Ed Kessler, head of Cambridge University's Center for the Study of Jewish-Christian Relations, talked about the rewards of such an undertaking.

"You come back at the end of a long day, you're tired, and you sit down looking at texts together and you talk about it as friends," Kessler said. "That's fundamental learning."

Among the 30 participants involved in various stages of the pilgrimage were a Polish student, a financial consultant, a Jewish mother and a college chaplain. The group has raised nearly $60,000 to support interfaith dialogue and understanding, organizers said.

Rabbi Arieh Banner, who helps supervise activities at the Western Wall, said it was the first time he saw people riding bikes into the plaza during his 17 years there, but he was glad to see the spirit of the international group "who have come in the name of faith and peace."

Claire Malone-Lee, 64, a cyclist and student of Jewish-Christian relations, said the group's discussions have challenged each other's preconceived ideas about religious texts or the prospects for peace in Israel.

"All you hear about is the complexity of the situation here, but really when you arrive, hopefulness is reinforced wherever you go," said Malone-Lee, who is from Cambridge, England.

The bikers were awarded special certificates and 'Israel loves you' buttons by the Tourism Ministry.
Wow, pretty neat. I would have liked to have been part of that. Is there a place I can go to read more on that?

Thanks

schamber said:
God, if one exists, will not get you up the hill regardless of the moto on your jersey...
No....... but He will make me lie down in green pastures and lead me besides quit waters and His goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life............

Ludicrous said:
No....... but He will make me lie down in green pastures and lead me besides quiet waters and His goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life............
and dwell in the house of the Lord forever and ever and ever. :cool:

Eilert Pilarm said:
and dwell in the house of the Lord forever and ever and ever. :cool:
Interesting thread. I can, as a Christian, understand a little about where Chad and HenryLaRoy are both coming from. I think it's important to witness but also not stuff it down unwilling people's throats. I should state for the record I am on the ICCC club and proudly wear the jersey. When people see the jersey they either ask me about it or they don't. I've yet to have someone tell me they're offended or another Christian tell me what I'm doing is wrong. In addition to being an ICCC member I'm also an active member of my church and have led small groups in the past and plan to do so again this January. In other words I have other areas of ministry outside of the club. it does not define me but is a part of who I am.

just my 2 cents.

JS

DiabloScott said:
How would you guys feel if someone rode up to you in an "American Atheists" jersey?

I would think it would be an odd proclamation

Would you feel like striking up a conversation about the weather with him/her?

certainly; Jesus was known for hanging out with individuals of questionable character

Would your first impression be a negative one?

no; like Chad I've been there also; coming to faith is possible for all of us

Would you feel insulted in some way?

the mere act of somneone wearing the jersey would not be insulting

Would you be embarassed to be seen with him? Would you refuse to ride with him?

no again for the reason that I have been there before and also our attitude and actions should reflect that of Jesus

Would you get defensive?
only if challenged on matters of faith but not in an attacking or holier than thou manner

seems folks have for centuries been quick to say, "but Jesus hung around with everybody, sinner and saint alike, the outcasts of society along with the religious leaders."

sure enough...but how many remember that Jesus repeatedly admonished them (us) to "go and sin no more"

ah, but that's too hard.

of course it is....that's why He did it for us.

what no man can own....no man can take

tchak attack said:
...we are all gods children...

If thats the case then whats so special about Jesus anyway?

Eilert Pilarm said:
"Proud parent of a Registered Sex Offender"

Why are people obsessed with sex offenders? Surely a murderer is worse than a sex offender? You might get 'offended' by a sex offender but at least you dont end up dead! There is something very disturbing and wrong about how people want to hear about sex offender stories on the tele and in the paper. Maybe I need my **** raped by some big black guy to understand it?

The thing about god is that you cant disprove its existence. That is because believers want the things they want god to have done so badly they made up a load of premises to get around the fact that all the evidence points to the fact that gods are so unrealistic the chances of them being right are negligible.

You need to have faith in God. He will never appear. Bad things will happen even though it seems to go against what god stands for etc etc... There is now a much better explaination of how we got here than god put us here. Praying apparently does nothing. You wont see god until you're dead etc...

This case wouldn't even get to court!

In the words of Einstein:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."

"I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it."

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

Eilert Pilarm said:
seems folks have for centuries been quick to say, "but Jesus hung around with everybody, sinner and saint alike, the outcasts of society along with the religious leaders."

sure enough...but how many remember that Jesus repeatedly admonished them (us) to "go and sin no more"

ah, but that's too hard.
good point but I don't feel it's my place to tell someone that

MichaelB said:
If thats the case then whats so special about Jesus anyway?

When was the last time you or anyone you know was whipped, beaten, flogged, crucified on a cross and then rose from the dead 3 days later all because doing so would erase the sin of those who accept him as their personal saviour. I know of only one...

JS