Any Christian cyclist out there?

baj32161 said:
Brian...This is Brian and this is exactly the type of response I was afraid of...up until now this has been a lively, and very civil debate...not to mention quite enlightening. This, however, is unacceptable. Even the original poster (Chad) did not resort to mindless preaching. If you want to preach, please find the appropriate forum in which to do so. I am not interested in being preached to....as I have mentioned in one of my earlier posts. If you had bothered to follow the entire thread you would see that most of the people posting here have been rather diplomatic towards each other, in spite of different views. It is responses such as this that make it so hard for many of us (and I do not mean to speak for others..I hope I will be forgiven for doing so) to accept or even want to listen to people like yourself. Please try to stick with the tone of the discussion. I do not find Christianity at all offensive. What I do not care for is the disregard people like you apparently have for my beliefs and peace of mind. I have stated this in one of my earlier posts. If you are happy with your faith, and you sound as if you are, then I am happy for you. And I respect you and your faith. Please show me the same courtesy and do not shove YOUR beliefs down MY throat.

By the way...do you ride?

Peace!,

Brian

Here! Here! Shoving it down my throat sets be back years from really giving it a go. It just turns me off so much. Like i said,dont tell,dont ask.

Brian-N said:
I am a longtime friend of Chad's............

No offence intended, but I have to agree with the other poster who said that your proseltyism actually turns people away from religion.

I say this as someone who's a member of the Roman Catholic faith.

Chad-GA said:
Want a way to show off your faith while doing something you love?

Me too, unfortuanately you will not find anything like that at any typical cycling apparel retailer.

There is a place you can go to get a cool cycling jersey that will give you an opportunity to be a witness for Christ in a bold way. Check out the jersey at http://www.unfulfilled.org (click on the "Tools for Sowing Seeds" link on the left).

In Jesus's last words before ascending into Heaven, he commands his disciples to go and make disciples and to teach and baptize them. (Mark 16:20; Matthew 28:19, 20) It is "The Great Commission".

It is a powerful way to witness and is inspiring just to wear it proudly. Let me know if you would like a better picture of me wearing it or if you need a sizing chart. I would be happy to send you either.

God Bless!
Chad
Yes, here from Bellingham, WA by way of Wasilla, AK. I was turned on to biking by a christian daytrader friend. We road together all through Anchorage and I was going to do Resurrection Pass with him. He is now a missionary in China ( he's in the US for a few months ). New in Bellingham and I am looking for a place to fellowship and some good "brethren" to ride with because the days are cold and lonely. Pain seems to find you when you are alone, too.....hmmm. I just bought a Nirve HTX-2 RS Judy TT mtn bike just for Bob's at Galbraith Mtn in Bellingham. My question is I am acquiring a Specialized M2 Road Pro (it may be a Super) road bike for $675. One owner and it looks like the guy never touched it. Maybe bought for looks? no/low wheel wear. Paint excellent. looks new. Most forums say it is a steal. What do you guys think? :confused:

bigjune9 said:
Ok. Is it a good deal? Also, I am looking at a fuji Ace for $375.
Well, to be honest, I have never heard of that model Speicalized bike, so I cannot offer much help there. That is about the standard going price for a Fuji Ace.

Cheers,

Brian

USS Silversides said:
I have been watching this thread with a great deal of interest...

baj32161, a few things I would like to point out on your examples-

The Crusades were were an attempt by the West to recapture the East from the Muslims and to stop their ruthless onslaught before the whole world was consumed by Islam.

The Inquisition was a brutal church court held by the Roman Catholic Church that persecuted Protestant Christians and such.

The South and Central American conquests were intended to overthrow the horribly brutal cultures that had begun to thrive there. However what many people do not know is that the common people in those areas were the main force used against the tyrannical rulers.

Blatant theft of cultural treasures? Perhaps you are speaking of the Exodus? I don't quite see the problem there- you have people that have been enslaved for years on end and they take with them some captured treasures...

Great discussion,

Jonathan
Jonathan..is it just me?....or is there a reason that you cannot see the out and out Christian self-righteousness of all of these eras in history...."to stop their ruthless onslaught before the world was consumed by Islam (thus making the world safe for christians to do the exact same thing for centuries)."..."To overthrow a brutal regime (for which our government is being universally despised )," "A brutal church court held by the Roman Catholic Church (which also, by the way, just happens to be Christian) that persecuted Protestant Christians and such?!?!"

Good grief!!! What supreme rights these "Christians" gave themselves and what monstrous powers they gave themselves to plunder, terrorize and murder millions of innocent people. If this is a history that you are proud of, then perhaps it is us "non-believers" who should feel sorry for you.

Peace,

Brian...(the one from New Jersey)

baj32161 said:
Jonathan..is it just me?....or is there a reason that you cannot see the out and out Christian self-righteousness of all of these eras in history...."to stop their ruthless onslaught before the world was consumed by Islam (thus making the world safe for christians to do the exact same thing for centuries)."..."To overthrow a brutal regime (for which our government is being universally despised )," "A brutal church court held by the Roman Catholic Church (which also, by the way, just happens to be Christian) that persecuted Protestant Christians and such?!?!"

Good grief!!! What supreme rights these "Christians" gave themselves and what monstrous powers they gave themselves to plunder, terrorize and murder millions of innocent people. If this is a history that you are proud of, then perhaps it is us "non-believers" who should feel sorry for you.

Peace,

Brian...(the one from New Jersey)

Hey needs to read up on his history : I would suggest Templar by Piers Paul Read would be a good place to start.
It gives a good account of brutality : Christian brutality that is.

limerickman said:
Hey needs to read up on his history : I would suggest Templar by Piers Paul Read would be a good place to start.
It gives a good account of brutality : Christian brutality that is.
Thanks Limerick. I would like to read that myself!!
You rock!!

Cheers,

Brian

In the original post, I was not turned on when the Truth of what would help me either. A guy left a book, Wild at Heart, on my golf cart seat a couple of years ago. I had been drinking and carrying on. I was not eager to read the book but after I got home later that night I did. It began to unveil the Truth about life and how to cure a wild heart. If it was not real, there would not be an offence to it. The devil was controlling me and he was offended. It is amazing if someone shares their beliefs with me, whatever they are, what they are founded upon, I take no offence to it, whatsoever. It is amazing how the only emotion I would feel is sympathy and a longing, a love and prayer for them. As I look at more that are pointed to the Truth, the power of those seeds, I have to disagree with the facts, the fruit. Jesus said in John 15:5- "I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit." I am not working to turn people on to religion at all. For religion is man's way to God. I want to point them to the Savior, Jesus Christ and watch God change the individual, bring Himself to them, as He is doing every day. It just so happens that the more people that get the message, the more lives are changed, the more people are "fulfilled", released from bondage, fear, uncertainty, doubt. Chad is a prime example of a destiny that is fulfilled. The examples and testimonies are to numerous to put down on this page. In Luke 19:10 it states the Son of man came to seek and save the lost. In II Peter it states, "His wish is none would perish but all would come to repentance". As I said, it is all about grace and what is afforded to all of us. Grace was given in the person and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Chad, myself and many others are standing for something that will never change, move or be altered. It is eternal. Jesus Christ split time. Even in secular history. Again, I am a sinner saved by that grace and without pure love for the soul of man, one would never share. I am thankful, so very thankful for the book the man left on the golf cart seat that day!

In Christ,
Brian
Acts 20:24

limerickman said:
No offence intended, but I have to agree with the other poster who said that your proseltyism actually turns people away from religion.

I say this as someone who's a member of the Roman Catholic faith.

Chad-GA said:
There is a group of guys from our church that go every Saturday morning for a mountain bike ride at Blanket's Creek in Canton, GA. It is a blast!

Chad, maybe I will see you at Blanket's Creek sometime. I lean more to being a roadie, but every now and then I go to the trail. I live just a few minutes from Blanket's Creek.

Thanks for sharing your experience and I have a similiar story as well.

Brian-NC said:
In the original post, I was not turned on when the Truth of what would help me either. A guy left a book, Wild at Heart, on my golf cart seat a couple of years ago. I had been drinking and carrying on. I was not eager to read the book but after I got home later that night I did. It began to unveil the Truth about life and how to cure a wild heart. If it was not real, there would not be an offence to it. The devil was controlling me and he was offended. It is amazing if someone shares their beliefs with me, whatever they are, what they are founded upon, I take no offence to it, whatsoever. It is amazing how the only emotion I would feel is sympathy and a longing, a love and prayer for them. As I look at more that are pointed to the Truth, the power of those seeds, I have to disagree with the facts, the fruit. Jesus said in John 15:5- "I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit." I am not working to turn people on to religion at all. For religion is man's way to God. I want to point them to the Savior, Jesus Christ and watch God change the individual, bring Himself to them, as He is doing every day. It just so happens that the more people that get the message, the more lives are changed, the more people are "fulfilled", released from bondage, fear, uncertainty, doubt. Chad is a prime example of a destiny that is fulfilled. The examples and testimonies are to numerous to put down on this page. In Luke 19:10 it states the Son of man came to seek and save the lost. In II Peter it states, "His wish is none would perish but all would come to repentance". As I said, it is all about grace and what is afforded to all of us. Grace was given in the person and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Chad, myself and many others are standing for something that will never change, move or be altered. It is eternal. Jesus Christ split time. Even in secular history. Again, I am a sinner saved by that grace and without pure love for the soul of man, one would never share. I am thankful, so very thankful for the book the man left on the golf cart seat that day!

In Christ,
Brian
Jesus. This is why I don't play golf.

baj32161 said:
Chad...thank you for your understanding, and congratulations on the new addition. I wish him or her a long happy and love filled life.

Regards,

Brian
Brian, thanks for the good wishes. With the addition of another girl to our house, I am now heavily out numbered. (2 little girls, 1 wife, and a mother-in-law and me - Yikes! I am going to need to ride more ;-)

By the way, I noticed your Bruce Lee reference. Are you in to martial arts as well, or just a fan of Bruce Lee?

Chad

Chad-GA said:
Brian, thanks for the good wishes. With the addition of another girl to our house, I am now heavily out numbered. (2 little girls, 1 wife, and a mother-in-law and me - Yikes! I am going to need to ride more ;-)

By the way, I noticed your Bruce Lee reference. Are you in to martial arts as well, or just a fan of Bruce Lee?

Chad
Actually both. I have been a fan of Bruce Lee since the '60s and the old "Green Hornet and Kato" days. When I was 14, back in 1975 I began studying Kyokushin Karate, mainly to rid myself of a rather nasty temper that always bothered me. After 4 years of that I laid off through college and moved here to NJ and met my friend Jim and began to learn Wing Chun Gung Fu from him...and we continue to work with each other, albeit with much less fervor, if not frequency. I got just good enough at the martial arts to be a danger to myself and anyone I am with (lol!). The goal I set out to achieve was to pacify my spirit and teach me to control my rather volatile emotions...this I accomplished quite successfully.

So you see Chad, we have each found our own peace, via our own path of choice...BOTH being very spiritual, yes? I do not, however, wear my martial arts gear when I am riding:D (Joking) . There is more than one "way," as the Asian Arts have taught me...and they vastly predate the Christian doctrines.

Kanpai!

Brian

Brian-NC said:

In Christ,
Brian

Kinda put your answer like a gay parade. I dont care either way but keep it to yourself until i ask. I do think its nice that God loves gays also.

shokhead said:
Kinda put your answer like a gay parade. I dont care either way but keep it to yourself until i ask. I do think its nice that God loves gays also.
Interesting take on things, considering your avatar:D :D :D

Brian-NC said:
In the original post, I was not turned on when the Truth of what would help me either. A guy left a book, ................

Listen, your yarn is your yarn.

Most people here couldn't give a fiddlers about what you believe or what you don't believe.

So can you do us, for want of a better description, Christians a favour?
Lay of the proseltyism, alright ?

Thanks.

limerickman said:
Listen, your yarn is your yarn.

Most people here couldn't give a fiddlers about what you believe or what you don't believe.

So can you do us, for want of a better description, Christians a favour?
Lay of the proseltyism, alright ?

Thanks.
BRILLIANT!!!!

Hey Chad,
Congrats on your new child. You are truely a blessed man. I wish you and your family all the best (even the mother-in-law). Try riding to a good spot to sleep!

Mark