Any Christian cyclist out there?

baj32161 said:
Actually both. I have been a fan of Bruce Lee since the '60s and the old "Green Hornet and Kato" days. When I was 14, back in 1975 I began studying Kyokushin Karate, mainly to rid myself of a rather nasty temper that always bothered me. After 4 years of that I laid off through college and moved here to NJ and met my friend Jim and began to learn Wing Chun Gung Fu from him...and we continue to work with each other, albeit with much less fervor, if not frequency. I got just good enough at the martial arts to be a danger to myself and anyone I am with (lol!). The goal I set out to achieve was to pacify my spirit and teach me to control my rather volatile emotions...this I accomplished quite successfully.

So you see Chad, we have each found our own peace, via our own path of choice...BOTH being very spiritual, yes? I do not, however, wear my martial arts gear when I am riding:D (Joking) . There is more than one "way," as the Asian Arts have taught me...and they vastly predate the Christian doctrines.

Kanpai!

Brian
Cool! I started with an American Karate school while in college in 89. For me it was more about finding something new to do now that my organized sports days were over. I have been doing it on and off since then (more off lately). I got to my 3rd degree black.

My interest in it had nothing what-so-ever to do with spirituality. I just really liked the sparring more than anything. Get in great shape while doing something fun, kind of like mountaing biking. I actually had a school for 2 1/2 years before I realized that there were just not enough hours in the day to have a job a karate school and a family.

It was actually at the school that I first met people that started opening my mind to the possibility that there might be something more than what I believed at the time, which was basically nothing. What made an impact on me was that each time I got to know a person or family that I really admired, there always seemed to be one thing that tired them together, a devoted faith. Where I once had no interest in religion or spirituality, seeing that just provided a small crack that made me want to see more.

It still took me another 4-5 years, but it for me was the start of my journey.

Chad-GA said:
Cool! I started with an American Karate school while in college in 89. For me it was more about finding something new to do now that my organized sports days were over. I have been doing it on and off since then (more off lately). I got to my 3rd degree black.

My interest in it had nothing what-so-ever to do with spirituality. I just really liked the sparring more than anything. Get in great shape while doing something fun, kind of like mountaing biking. I actually had a school for 2 1/2 years before I realized that there were just not enough hours in the day to have a job a karate school and a family.

It was actually at the school that I first met people that started opening my mind to the possibility that there might be something more than what I believed at the time, which was basically nothing. What made an impact on me was that each time I got to know a person or family that I really admired, there always seemed to be one thing that tired them together, a devoted faith. Where I once had no interest in religion or spirituality, seeing that just provided a small crack that made me want to see more.

It still took me another 4-5 years, but it for me was the start of my journey.
Well as I said Chad, you found your peace (for whatever reason) and I found mine (for whatever reason). I am happy with my choice so please do not waste your time feeling sorry for me...as you said you did for non-christians earlier. I am glad you found your calling. However YOUR calling is not for everyone...food for thought.

Peace,

Brian

baj32161 said:
Well as I said Chad, you found your peace (for whatever reason) and I found mine (for whatever reason). I am happy with my choice so please do not waste your time feeling sorry for me...as you said you did for non-christians earlier. I am glad you found your calling. However YOUR calling is not for everyone...food for thought.

Peace,

Brian
Good for you man. I just wanted to make myself clear on one point. I don't walk around feeling sorry for every person that does not have a relationship with Christ. My response to that earlier post about how I would feel about someone that chose to wear an American Athiest jersey was just a direct answer to that question. I was asked how I might feel about that person, and that is what popped into my head.

I am sure there are a whole lot of happy, fulfilled non-Christians out there such as you and even me. (Unfortunately there are a whole bunch of unhappy and unfulfilled Christians as well.) I did not walk around with the proverbial feeling that something was just missing in my life. I was a pretty happy guy prior to my conversion. I am just happier now. It is just one of those things that you cannot fully understand until you have it for yourself. It is kind of like having kids. You really do not know the depth that love can go until you have a child of your own. (That kind of sounds like an Aflac commercial):D

Brian, I do not feel sorry for you at all and truly, I am not trying to convert you, so please don't feel like I am trying pressure you into believing the same thing I do. I am simply sharing my experience in the hopes that someone may in some way be touched by it. There are a heck of a lot more readers to this thread than people that have actually responded.

Take Care,
Chad

Chad-GA said:
Good for you man. I just wanted to make myself clear on one point. I don't walk around feeling sorry for every person that does not have a relationship with Christ. My response to that earlier post about how I would feel about someone that chose to wear an American Athiest jersey was just a direct answer to that question. I was asked how I might feel about that person, and that is what popped into my head.

I am sure there are a whole lot of happy, fulfilled non-Christians out there such as you and even me. (Unfortunately there are a whole bunch of unhappy and unfulfilled Christians as well.) I did not walk around with the proverbial feeling that something was just missing in my life. I was a pretty happy guy prior to my conversion. I am just happier now. It is just one of those things that you cannot fully understand until you have it for yourself. It is kind of like having kids. You really do not know the depth that love can go until you have a child of your own. (That kind of sounds like an Aflac commercial):D

Brian, I do not feel sorry for you at all and truly, I am not trying to convert you, so please don't feel like I am trying pressure you into believing the same thing I do. I am simply sharing my experience in the hopes that someone may in some way be touched by it. There are a heck of a lot more readers to this thread than people that have actually responded.

Take Care,
Chad
Mazeltov!!:D

Brian

shokhead said:
Kinda put your answer like a gay parade. I dont care either way but keep it to yourself until i ask. I do think its nice that God loves gays also.
Proverbs 12:16
Matthew 5:11-12

Brian-NC said:
Proverbs 12:16
Matthew 5:11-12

This guy is batting .1000
3 posts, all annoying...Way to go Brian:rolleyes: ...please change your name before someone thinks you are me.

baj32161 said:
Interesting take on things, considering your avatar:D :D :D

LOL Really,it has no meaning other then i couldnt use my own and that one is kinda funny,nothing else.

shokhead said:
LOL Really,it has no meaning other then i couldnt use my own and that one is kinda funny,nothing else.
LOL Sorry about that...I just couldn't help it, being a smartass, and all:D .

baj32161 said:
I think the Lions had a pretty good record against the Christians too.:D :eek:
I find it interesting that the Christians in this thread have stayed away from the immature reproaching tactics that the non-believers are using. I think that speaks volumes about our character.

baj32161 said:
I think the Lions had a pretty good record against the Christians too.:D :eek:
I'm new to this website and the idea of a continuous e-mail....so cut me some slack as I try and join in.

I happen to be one of the guys that ride with Chad (he converted me from golf to mountain biking) - and I wanted to add a few thoughts for you to consider:

There are many different religions for us to consider, including no religion. I do not even like the term religion because for most people (including me) it has a negative connotation. It can be argued that Jesus is the most central figure in human history. What is it about this Man that impacted the world in such a way that He stands out above all over 2000 years? While we can agree that people have done terrible things in the name of religion....I have never heard anyone cast Jesus in this light. So don't focus on the terrible things that people do....consider Jesus. Read His teachings for yourself. He was quite specific about His beliefs. And He claimed to be the Son of God. So we are left with this question....Who is Jesus? Was he a lunatic? Was he a liar? Or is it possible that He actually was God's own Son?
If you can suspend your answer for one second....and go with the possibility that He actually was God's Son...., and He changes lives today according to the His words recorded 200 years ago -- you might possibly be able to understand Chad's motivation. He has something that is unique, nothing is comparable in all the world...something that supernaturally (remember we are assuming that God really exists) has changed his life. All He wants to do is share it.

How'd I do?

428Cobrajet said:
I'm new to this website and the idea of a continuous e-mail....so cut me some slack as I try and join in.

I happen to be one of the guys that ride with Chad (he converted me from golf to mountain biking) - and I wanted to add a few thoughts for you to consider:

There are many different religions for us to consider, including no religion. I do not even like the term religion because for most people (including me) it has a negative connotation. It can be argued that Jesus is the most central figure in human history. What is it about this Man that impacted the world in such a way that He stands out above all over 2000 years? While we can agree that people have done terrible things in the name of religion....I have never heard anyone cast Jesus in this light. So don't focus on the terrible things that people do....consider Jesus. Read His teachings for yourself. He was quite specific about His beliefs. And He claimed to be the Son of God. So we are left with this question....Who is Jesus? Was he a lunatic? Was he a liar? Or is it possible that He actually was God's own Son?
If you can suspend your answer for one second....and go with the possibility that He actually was God's Son...., and He changes lives today according to the His words recorded 200 years ago -- you might possibly be able to understand Chad's motivation. He has something that is unique, nothing is comparable in all the world...something that supernaturally (remember we are assuming that God really exists) has changed his life. All He wants to do is share it.

How'd I do?
One mistake - not 200 years ago - but 2000 years ago.

428Cobrajet said:

How'd I do?
I'd say good job. Now just be prepared for some negativity and criticism from certain others in this thread yet to "see the light".

jrstevens said:
I find it interesting that the Christians in this thread have stayed away from the immature reproaching tactics that the non-believers are using. I think that speaks volumes about our character.
Okay jrstevens...after many serious posts, including many to Chad. I believe I am entitled to a litte humour. If you, and your sanctimonious self do not appreciate it, then I am sorry but maybe you need the thick skin that some of non-believers havd to have in order to put up with such self-righteousness. As I have said in one of my earlier posts...if you want to speak of christian "character," I suggest you look not further than the Ku Klux Klan, The Puritans and Calvinists and all throughout Medieval Europe for the many wanton acts of torture and murder perpetrated in the name of your Christian God. Don't spout off to me about Christian character until you look up your own history.

Brian

wheelist said:
Forfar 5 : East Fife 4.

The bible isn't true you know.
Since it was brought up here are some interesting facts regarding the veracity of the Bible.

• There are nearly 25000 manuscripts of the Bible; Homer's Iliad is second with 643. I'd say the Bible is very reliable
  • the scribes who copied the Bible counted the words and letters to ensure nothing was omitted; if an error was made the entire page was destroyed and re-copied; less than 1% of the words in the New Testament (NT) are seriously debated
  • the Bible has the shortest time gap between the original writing and the earliest copies of any book. The NT was completed no later than A.D. 95 and the earliest manuscript dates from A.D. 125. For comparison the Iliad was written around 800 B.C. but the earliest copy is from 400 B.C.
  • the Dead Sea Scrolls unearthed in 1947 also confirm the Bible's accuracy; in one instance from the book of Isaiah there is only a difference of 3 letters between this manuscript of the Old Testament and present day versions
I could go on and on but if anyone (particularly those investigating faith) would rather read on their own here are a couple of good resources.

The Bible Answer Book by Hank Hanegraaf
Know What You Believe by Paul Little
God Wrote A Book by James Macdonald

Here is an interesting story:
The French writer Voltaire, himself highly critical or religion, predicted Christianity would be destroyed within 100 years of his death and that the Bible would only be in museums. Well Voltaire is long gone and within 50 years of his death the Geneva Bible Society purchased his home and began printing Bibles using none other than Voltaire's printing press.

428Cobrajet said:

How'd I do?
You have done quite well. Your eloquence is noteworthy, and you and Chad seem like awfully nice people whom I would like very much. While I do not disagree with your post...in fact I agree with the vast majority of it...I was not admonsihing Chad for his beliefs. Nor was I admonishing him for his wish to spread them. I only wanted to point out that many christians do not...and I have a brother like this, simply cease their "sharing" when disinterst is expressed by the listener. If they did, it would save alot of what I termed before as "useless hostility."

I was also pointing out that I do not need anyone "feeling sorry" for me, as he stated he did for us non-believers (and I am paraphrasing here). I am happy with my life, and very much so, and I am happy for Chad for being so happy with his. I was raised in the christian way and life. I found it quite unfulfilling, and a bit stifling. I have found my peace elsewhere. If you go back and read my posts, you will see where and how.

Peace...and I mean it:) .

Brian

baj32161 said:
Okay jrstevens...after many serious posts, including many to Chad. I believe I am entitled to a litte humour. If you, and your sanctimonious self do not appreciate it, then I am sorry but maybe you need the thick skin that some of non-believers havd to have in order to put up with such self-righteousness. As I have said in one of my earlier posts...if you want to speak of christian "character," I suggest you look not further than the Ku Klux Klan, The Puritans and Calvinists and all throughout Medieval Europe for the many wanton acts of torture and murder perpetrated in the name of your Christian God. Don't spout off to me about Christian character until you look up your own history.

Brian
Thank baj32161 for confirming the point in my original post.

FYI

I was referring to the character of the Christians specifically in this post not to all Christians from alltime.

I happen to be very appreciative of good humor when done in good taste.

I wasn't mentioning your tactics because my feelings were hurt trust me so don't worry about me having thick skin. i can dish it out and take it.

As 428cobrajet said don't blame an infallible God for what atrocities imperfect men have committed.

Also interesting at how offended they seem to get at even the slighest difference of opinion. A dose of tolerance perhaps...

jrstevens said:
A dose of tolerance perhaps...
Like those many examples that the Bible is replete with?...the ones that "God" shows to sinners and heretics and non-believers?

Please jr lets not turn this into a public pissing contest. this was a rather nice and civil debate untl now, and I have better things to do. I will just agree to disagree with you...man to man. I would rather not travel this path with you. This is why I turned away from christianity in the first place.

Peace.

Brian