Any Christian cyclist out there?

maxo said:
This is the simple truth as told in mountain bike terms:

THE CROSS ROAD:

You are starting out for an epic ride. At the top of the last climb you see a fence with a small locked gate. A sign reads "NO TRESSPASSING". Just beyond you see sweet SINGLE TRACK winding into the distance. 'Where does it go' you wonder.

THE CHOICE:

Just then a rider comes up the trail. Cool a local! You ask "Is that trail legal?" "Yes it is! My father owns all this land and wants me to invite all my friends to ride. Would you like to take a run at it?" He asks. "Blaze on!" you reply.

The RIDE:

The trail starts by dropping into a sweeping downhill with banked turns; then some rooty, rocky, drop-offs. "Take my line!" He yells back. He leads you down and up some of the most technical single track you have ever ridden. Through tight switchbacks, jagged rocks, over log bridges, and down slick rock. With His coaching you can't believe some of the stuff you are pulling off! He always keeps in sight so you can follow his path down the good lines.

As you wind through majestic old-growth redoods, you pass tranquil streams, hot springs, and countless ferns. The views of granite mountains flanked by deep blue lakes and valleys filled with wild flowers inspire your legs to keep spinning. "How much land does your Father own?" you ask. He just looks back and smiles.

The two of you stop at a waterfall to refill your Camlepaks. You realize it is starting to get dark. You ask, "What's the fastest way back?" Your new friend replies, "Any of the side trails will take you back to the FIRE ROAD. My father has a cabin about a mile up the trail. He keeps it stocked with supplies. You're welcome to hang out and I'll show you another cool ride tomorrow." He says.

The DECISION:

Back to the Fire Road or continue a once-in-a-lifetime ride through single track heaven? The choice is yours. Which do you choose?
I choose to ride on the road:D

maxo said:

THE CROSS ROAD:

You are starting out for an epic ride. At the top of the last climb you see a fence with a small locked gate. A sign reads "NO TRESSPASSING". Just beyond you see sweet SINGLE TRACK winding into the distance. 'Where does it go' you wonder.

THE CHOICE:

Just then a rider comes up the trail. Cool a local! You ask "Is that trail legal?" "Yes it is! My father owns all this land and wants me to invite all my friends to ride. Would you like to take a run at it?" He asks. "Blaze on!" you reply.

The RIDE:

The trail starts by dropping into a sweeping downhill with banked turns; then some rooty, rocky, drop-offs. "Take my line!" He yells back. He leads you down and up some of the most technical single track you have ever ridden. Through tight switchbacks, jagged rocks, over log bridges, and down slick rock. With His coaching you can't believe some of the stuff you are pulling off! He always keeps in sight so you can follow his path down the good lines.

As you wind through majestic old-growth redoods, you pass tranquil streams, hot springs, and countless ferns. The views of granite mountains flanked by deep blue lakes and valleys filled with wild flowers inspire your legs to keep spinning. "How much land does your Father own?" you ask. He just looks back and smiles.

The two of you stop at a waterfall to refill your Camlepaks. You realize it is starting to get dark. You ask, "What's the fastest way back?" Your new friend replies, "Any of the side trails will take you back to the FIRE ROAD. My father has a cabin about a mile up the trail. He keeps it stocked with supplies. You're welcome to hang out and I'll show you another cool ride tomorrow." He says.

The DECISION:

Back to the Fire Road or continue a once-in-a-lifetime ride through single track heaven? The choice is yours. Which do you choose?
I've only got a puncture! Looks like I'll be walking home. Which way did you say the fire track was? Oh, and why does your 'Father' have all these "NO TRESPASSING" signs everywhere? Tell him he can't own the land - it belongs to us all. :D

maxo said:

THE CROSS ROAD:

THE CHOICE:

The RIDE:

The DECISION:

Sweet! Pretty simple choice for me!

jrstevens said:
As you can see clearly from my posts I've never been good at the "love approach" however despite this recent failure I am trying to improve. I do feel compelled to spread the good news. I do volunteer for the church and also host and lead married couple small groups with my wife. I always feel like I should be doing more than what I am. When opportunity arises at the university where I am a grad student I try to be a "witness" in an unobtrusive manner.

JS
JS,

I didn't want you to think I forgot about you. First, I want to say I appreciate your input on this thread. Clearly, you are not afraid to be bold and stand up for your faith. Way to go! There certainly seems to be no one way to be a witness. Various methods work better in different circumstances. Whatever the method, it is important to keep trying.

If you think the God's Glory jersey is of interest to you, I would certainly love to see a lot more folks wearing it proudly.

By the way, for your benefit and the benefit of others, I do not make anything on the sale of those jerseys. The meager proceeds that we get from selling those jerseys go back into supporting the efforts of the Unfulfilled Ministry. The main benefit for me is knowing that others are giving the glory to God in a bold and respectful way.

Keep up the good work!

God Bless!
Chad

Thats fine to stand up for your faith but unless i ask,dont tell me about it. Samething if your gay.

shokhead said:
Thats fine to stand up for your faith but unless i ask,dont tell me about it. Samething if your gay.
That is kind of the nice thing about the God's Glory jersey. I am making it clear where I come from and if you are interested, you can ask me about it. If not, then you can just ignore it and we can ride.

As I said before, I am not trying to push my beliefs down your throat through whatever means to try and get you or anyone else to believe the same thing I do. I am simply trying to give glory to God for changing my life in a way that lets others know, that may be seeking an answer, that there is an answer.

If you are not at a point in your life that you are seeking answers to questions you have about God, spirituality, or whatever, then you are not going to be the least bit receptive to hearing what I believe. Understandable, I have certainly been there. That does not mean though that I am going to stop making an effort to spread the good news.

I guess what I am saying is get over yourself. If you are not interested in hearing a Christian message, then don't click on a thread that is clearly geared toward appealing to Christians. Thanks.

jrstevens said:
  • 'I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by men who were inspired. I study the Bible daily'. 'Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance'.
  • In the absence of any other proof, the thumb alone would convince me of God's existence.
two quotes from one of the greatest scientists who ever lived - Sir Isaac Newton

You're a total retard. Newton didn't know there were as many stars as we know there are now and so he wouldn't have been able to reason that with such an enourmous amount of stars in the universe the chances of one planet not being like ours is very small.

As I said in my earlier post there will never be proof for or against god because believers have made the rules of god such that there cant ever be proof.

By that I mean:

There is this thing, god, which requires you to have blind faith to believe in it. If you dont have blind faith you aren't in. God will never show himself or produce any evidence because that means you dont have faith and so dont really believe in him. So just believe OK!

Now anyone with any brains would surely say you wouldn't need to believe or have faith or proof if God came and showed himself so why doesn't. The believer says but that the point in god.

So to recap. God's primary goal is to fool clever people into thinking he probably doesn't exist so that he can punish them when they die for not believing in him whereas gulible thick people are rewarded for thier stupid blind faith.

Gosh I'm a convert. See you in church on Sunday. Oh should that be the Muslim hut version of church and should I praise Allah not god.

Geez he doesn't make it easy does he? Maybe I should go and read one of his books that he got Joseph Smith or Mohammed or a Jesus' mates to write. Hold on they all say different things.

Such coherent logical things these religions aren't they.

jrstevens said:
It's easy to be crticial of isolated verses from the Bible. When you actually study the Bible chapter by chapter and book by book it becomes increasing difficult to argue it's Truth.

JS

Instead of wasting your time reading fictional stories and people's opinions why not spend it reading scientific journals. Surely this will give you a much more informed view of the world than something written over 2000 years ago by people who didn't even know the earth was round?

If I was alive back then I'd probably believe in God. There would be no better explanation for anything available to me - unlike now.

MichaelB said:
Instead of wasting your time reading fictional stories and people's opinions why not spend it reading scientific journals. Surely this will give you a much more informed view of the world than something written over 2000 years ago by people who didn't even know the earth was round?

If I was alive back then I'd probably believe in God. There would be no better explanation for anything available to me - unlike now.

Which brings up a good point since science is by general definition a method of forming an opinion or conclusion by observation would it not be logical to state that there is no person completely qualified to form an estute conclusion since no one has been around since the creation of the Earth and or Universe.
Therefore you nor anyone else here has definitive proof either way unless you are several billion years old.
I don't like religious debates so this is my scientific observation.

My faith is another matter not up for debate.

MichaelB said:

I'm a Ph.D. student so have read my fair share of scientific journal articles thank you very much. my committee is comprised of 3 professors who are believers. I'm fairly certain they've read an article or two as well. Being a believer and a scientist are not mutually exclusive.

JS

MichaelB said:
You're a total retard. Newton didn't know there were as many stars as we know there are now and so he wouldn't have been able to reason that with such an enourmous amount of stars in the universe the chances of one planet not being like ours is very small.

As I said in my earlier post there will never be proof for or against god because believers have made the rules of god such that there cant ever be proof.

By that I mean:

There is this thing, god, which requires you to have blind faith to believe in it. If you dont have blind faith you aren't in. God will never show himself or produce any evidence because that means you dont have faith and so dont really believe in him. So just believe OK!

Now anyone with any brains would surely say you wouldn't need to believe or have faith or proof if God came and showed himself so why doesn't. The believer says but that the point in god.

So to recap. God's primary goal is to fool clever people into thinking he probably doesn't exist so that he can punish them when they die for not believing in him whereas gulible thick people are rewarded for thier stupid blind faith.

Gosh I'm a convert. See you in church on Sunday. Oh should that be the Muslim hut version of church and should I praise Allah not god.

Geez he doesn't make it easy does he? Maybe I should go and read one of his books that he got Joseph Smith or Mohammed or a Jesus' mates to write. Hold on they all say different things.

Such coherent logical things these religions aren't they.
Any post that begins with yours and bears your avatar hardly deserves a response. I've read in the Atheist thread that you are some kind of prodigy yet you resort to immature tactics. Not sure what you're point is really. Are you trying to convince me that there is no God by calling me a retard.
please get real.

JS

jrstevens said:
I'm a Ph.D. student so have read my fair share of scientific journal articles thank you very much. my committee is comprised of 3 professors who are believers. I'm fairly certain they've read an article or two as well. Being a believer and a scientist are not mutually exclusive.

JS
Hey James....Just curious. Have you ever read "The Fingerprint Of God" by Hugh Ross? Proves your point about science about not being mutually exclusive, although not in a heavy handed, or obnoxious a manner as some of the people in this thread have been using. It is hard to find due to the fact that it is out of print. You may be able to find it on eBay or at your local library. If you cannot locate it I will be happy to send you my copy as long as you promise to send it back (yes I have actually read it:D ).

Peace,

Brian

baj32161 said:
Hey James....Just curious. Have you ever read "The Fingerprint Of God" by Hugh Ross? Proves your point about science about not being mutually exclusive, although not in a heavy handed, or obnoxious a manner as some of the people in this thread have been using. It is hard to find due to the fact that it is out of print. You may be able to find it on eBay or at your local library. If you cannot locate it I will be happy to send you my copy as long as you promise to send it back (yes I have actually read it:D ).

Peace,

Brian
I just read some reviews on Amazon and it seems like an interesting read. I may take you up on the offer in the spring when things quite down here in the lab. My dissertation defense is tentatively scheduled for mid-March so at the moment take is my focus.

James

MichaelB said:
I guess you're assuming Newton never peered into the night time sky and saw the abundance of stars in the sky. On a clear night here in Colorado I see almost as many stars as empty space.

JS

jrstevens said:
I guess you're assuming Newton never peered into the night time sky and saw the abundance of stars in the sky. On a clear night here in Colorado I see almost as many stars as empty space.

JS

And you're still seeing an almost inconceivably small fraction of the total.

wheelist said:
Forfar 5 : East Fife 4.

The bible isn't true you know.
OK. Jesus Christ changes lives. I can testify I was delivered from alcoholism, drug addictions, things clinics, rehabs & psychiatrists could not even touch. Fear, doubt, worry, anxiety are gone. My heart was transplanted and my desires changed. Ezekiel 36:26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. It is a perfect peace that cannot be attainable, reached or obtained apart from Jesus Christ. It is undebatable. I do not know anyone who is not searching for this kind of peace. Phillipians 4:7: And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. There is no physical way to obtain this peace other than Jesus Christ. Even the thought of death does not make me cringe for one second, what could be worse than death.

John 1:1
(The Word Became Flesh in Jesus Christ ) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 1:14
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, [ Or the Only Begotten] who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

The human, carnal, fleshly mind will never figure it. Never. It is at opposition and an enemy of God.

Romans 8:7
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

It is not my role to convince you of this, this is the purpose & ministry of the Holy Spirit. What I say has no relevance apart from the Word of God. It makes no difference what I say if it is not attached to Truth. The Truth Is Jesus Christ. He is what changes the heart, the life, the destiny and provides the perfect peace all are searching for.

I can testify on His behalf but dozens of others can as well. When people see a changed life, one must be arguing with the wind to debate anything. I saw an attorney friend of mine who is lost and he had heard a message I had given and seen the changes lived out in front of him, He stopped me on the road and one day and said Jesus Christ is real. There is no debating it. You will see it, hear it, understand it, where He is residing. It is the most wonderful thing in this world!

I don’t have to debate what I know, It is in me. It is like the wind, you can't see it but you know it is there, you can feel its effects.

The question is, what is your beliefs, what are they founded upon, where is it taking you?

shokhead said:
Thats fine to stand up for your faith but unless i ask,dont tell me about it. Samething if your gay.[/QUOTE)

I find it ridiculous that people enter a Christian thread, almost as walking in a door of a church not forced to be in whatsoever and want to dictate what is to be discussed. It is the very problem with even our churches today and why society is falling apart at the seams. Galatians 1:10

I would like to know what are your beliefs, convictions, what are they founded upon and where are they taking you?

baj32161 said:
I think the Lions had a pretty good record against the Christians too.:D :eek:
Sound to me like Detriot could be in trouble.

The ruthless will vanish, the mockers will disappear, and all who have an eye for evil will be cut down- Isaiah 29:20

I will stand on the Word of God. It has never changed and never will.
What are your beliefs, convictions, what is there foundation and where is it taking you?

I will be praying for you.

YES, to answer the original question from 10 pages ago. We are out here. :) My wife and I are Christians and we ride tandems, Road and Mtbikes with friends who are Christian and many who are not, here in Morganton NC. It's good to hear your testimony and see a thread about Jesus on this forum. Quite amazing how many attacks were brought on by such a simple original post obviously directed only to Christians. It's a sign, to me anyway.

God bless.