Any Christian cyclist out there?

MichaelB said:
In the words of Einstein:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."

"I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it."

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."

BRILLIANT! Einstein is a true hero of mine :)

jrstevens said:
When was the last time you or anyone you know was whipped, beaten, flogged, crucified on a cross and then rose from the dead 3 days later all because doing so would erase the sin of those who accept him as their personal saviour. I know of only one...

JS

I am not sure about rising from the dead... but that happens every day in Gitmo!

Geoff2010 said:
BRILLIANT! Einstein is a true hero of mine :)
  • 'I have a fundamental belief in the Bible as the Word of God, written by men who were inspired. I study the Bible daily'. 'Atheism is so senseless. When I look at the solar system, I see the earth at the right distance from the sun to receive the proper amounts of heat and light. This did not happen by chance'.
  • In the absence of any other proof, the thumb alone would convince me of God's existence.
two quotes from one of the greatest scientists who ever lived - Sir Isaac Newton

Nobody mentioned the artwork by Wheelist...great job with the changes dude!!
Luv your work.
Agree with some others that this thread belongs in the classifieds.
Or maybe in the thread entitled "Carry tools on long rides" :p
(sorry "tool" is Aussie slang for a person who is full of cr@p)
but these folk who want to push their faith love to start a debate, it makes them feel fulfilled.
But that's human nature.
I absolutely hate the "sport" of cricket, and I have gone onto an Australian Cricket fans' forum to dump on their obsession, and get excited at the responses and hysteria.
This "oh I'm so holy" guy can say what he likes, but we live in a free world and can make our own life decisions.
"Good for you, Captain America".
The ancient Greeks gave mankind geometry, physics, mathematics, the arts, the Romans gave a system of politics, legal system, etc...
so what has the mighty US empire given the world?
1. Gross obesity and high cholesterol
2. Questionable pop culture (recently giving "the Simpsons" to some Arab countries has to be the silliest export ever)
3. highly organised state-sponsored terrorism (Vietnam, Iraq, etc etc)
4. the threat of a nuclear winter.
sorry for the rant

Aussie Steve said:
Luv your work.
but these folk who want to push their faith love to start a debate, it makes them feel fulfilled.
But that's human nature.
I absolutely hate the "sport" of cricket, and I have gone onto an Australian Cricket fans' forum to dump on their obsession, and get excited at the responses and hysteria.
This "oh I'm so holy" guy can say what he likes, but we live in a free world and can make our own life decisions.
The ancient Greeks gave mankind geometry, physics, mathematics, the arts, the Romans gave a system of politics, legal system, etc...
2. Questionable pop culture (recently giving "the Simpsons" to some Arab countries has to be the silliest export ever)
sorry for the rant

sure, because as we all know, the ancient greeks & romans were such great guys that all the surrounding countries gladly gave up their lands so they could be included in the cultural benefits.:p

Aussie Steve said:
Luv your work.
But that's human nature.
sorry for the rant
Steve, you seem like a great guy. I am sure all your Aussie Mates are proud that you are representing their country.

As for the reason I started this thread to begin with, it has nothing to do with starting a debate. I have already stated my reasons for wanting to share my faith.

Clearly you are the want that enjoys throwing out bombs just to get a response. Well, you got one more, hope you go find another way to get your jollies.

DiabloScott said:
How would you guys feel if someone rode up to you in an "American Atheists" jersey?
The same way I feel when someone rides up on Shimano. They may be faithless and ignorant, but they have a right to be. As a true believer, I can only do my best to set a good example. Alright, so that's at least half satire. I would at least try to find out where the guy was coming from before making any kind of judgment. People who make loud, knee-jerk judgements based on a one word label like "Christian" or "Athiest" show their lack of character by doing so. I'll never understand how some people can be so personally offended by the thought of someone else trying to spread a positive message.

MichaelB said:
In the words of Einstein:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism."

"I do not believe in the immortality of the individual, and I consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no superhuman authority behind it."

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for a reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."
Einstein may have had some brilliant insights into physics, but his personal life was a wreck. You don't see people reading St. Augustine in an attempt to understand quantum mechanics.

artmichalek said:
Einstein may have had some brilliant insights into physics, but his personal life was a wreck. You don't see people reading St. Augustine in an attempt to understand quantum mechanics.
artmichalek,

Good points! I too wonder the same. - "I'll never understand how some people can be so personally offended by the thought of someone else trying to spread a positive message."

I would understand the outrage better if I was going door to door disturbing some of you at your house or something along those lines. It is just a shirt. If you see me in it and are interested in knowing more about it, then ask me about it. If not, then don't. Either way, let's get a good ride in.

Chad-GA said:
artmichalek,

Good points! I too wonder the same. - "I'll never understand how some people can be so personally offended by the thought of someone else trying to spread a positive message."

Well, just so you know... not everyone considers your message to be positive (yes, even those who are fully aware what the message is), and some consider it to be a sign of exclusionary elitism.

Religion is one of the most divisive issues in the world today (maybe in all of history). You shouldn't be surprised that your jersey is seen by some as a division sign.

<group hug>

DiabloScott said:
Well, just so you know... not everyone considers your message to be positive (yes, even those who are fully aware what the message is), and some consider it to be a sign of exclusionary elitism.
Fair enough, but any symbol is bound to have negative connotations to someone. The fact that some people might see it as an endorsement of illicit EPO use is no reason for anyone to not wear a Discovery jersey. (I'm not saying he did it or even that I believe he did. It's just a good example where there's no concrete proof either way.) What it means to the wearer is all that really matters.

DiabloScott said:

Religion is one of the most divisive issues in the world today (maybe in all of history). You shouldn't be surprised that your jersey is seen by some as a division sign.

<group hug>
"<group hug>" - Funny!

Yes, it is divisive, but in my mind too important to ignore. I will take the persecution in hopes of reaching and encouraging some with a positive message. It seems like the least I could do for someone that suffered far worse than I can ever imagine.

It seems to me that if more Christian's would take a stand in some way instead of cowering in the closet so as not to offend anyone, the world would be a better place.

Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."

So even Christians may not see your display in the way that you are intending.

rule62 said:
Matthew 6:5-6: "And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men....when thou prayest, enter into thy closet and when thou has shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret...."

That quote from Matthew speaks only to the personal relationship that Christ seeks with each of us. For sure, that is the most important because without that, we have nothing and certainly don't have anything to go and share with anyone else.

Check out what else Scripture Says

"Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age" (Matthew 28:19, 20).

"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8).

"I tell you the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father" (John 14:12).

"He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you" (John 16:14).

rule62 said:

This may be true, yet the verse you cite does not apply to the context of the original thread. ........maybe you could cite the great comission, that would apply IMO........... but darn it, that would just prove his position, and we would never want to use scripture to that end would we?

Being a Christian, I'd be proud to wear a Christian jersey. It'd be the same to me as wearing my school jersey (well if we had one I guess), wearing a bikerchick jersey, or a cookie monster jersey. (mmm cookies!!) They are all just labels; part of who I am. None of those parts define me entirely.

I'm aware that there are people out there who are offended or scared of Christianity, or just plain don't believe it. But I don't live my life to cater to other people. And if someone wants to judge me solely on what jersey I wear, then I really can't believe I'm missing out by not being approached by that person.

As far as the Christian riding clubs go, I think it's awesome. One of my campus ministry groups has a few people who bike that I go with sometimes. We'd never turn away anyone who wanted to ride with us, but at the same time, we enjoy riding together because as Christians, as college students, as people living in the same locale, we share a lot of things. Is it any different to like to ride with Christians than it is choosing which "non-Christians" you ride with? (by that I just mean that every picks who they ride with. You make a decision to ride or not to ride with people. There have been groups I have ridden with that I disliked, or specific people that I wasn't really thrilled to ride with. So what is the difference? Ultimately you try to ride with people who you enjoy riding with; either because you enjoy their company, the competition of riding with them, or both.

artmichalek said:
People who make loud, knee-jerk judgements based on a one word label like "Christian" or "Athiest" show their lack of character by doing so.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Aussie Steve said:
Luv your work.
But that's human nature.
sorry for the rant
And your point is? I was seriously trying to avoid this thread, and to avoid posting in it. I have no problem with Christians who want to spread their faith. I have a brother like that whom I love very dearly. I only hope that when they receive a message of disinterest or offence, that the "deliverer" (no offence intended, I just can't think of another word...its bedtime for me) relent from his preaching...this would save alot of useless hostility. My brother, knowing I am an agnostic, once got me a bible for Christmas. I cannot even tell you where it is today. Did I like the gift...no. Did I appreciate the thought behind it...yes, but I also told him that I would like him to be my brother, as in sibling, and not my minister.

What does being an American have to do with being a Christian? We are not perfect as a nation, but I believe there is no such thing.

Just my 2 cents,

Peace,

Brian

Chad-GA said:
"<group hug>" - Funny!

Yes, it is divisive, but in my mind too important to ignore. I will take the persecution in hopes of reaching and encouraging some with a positive message. It seems like the least I could do for someone that suffered far worse than I can ever imagine.

It seems to me that if more Christian's would take a stand in some way instead of cowering in the closet so as not to offend anyone, the world would be a better place.
Admirable thoughts, but in this world I think it is prudent not to go around offending people...it could get you hurt. There is a severe lack of thick skin out there.