Any Christian cyclist out there?

jrstevens said:
You're probably right. People on spirtual searches probably don't engage in other activities:rolleyes: . I never stated that this was a hugely popular thread just that there are more people viewing than contributing and there's a possibility that one of them could be on a spiritual search.
Hey don't take what I said the wrong way. I'm not trying to argue. If someone started a thread here about video games, they'd probably find a gamer or two here. Those people would already be into video games, but I don't think anyone joins a cycling forum to talk about gaming.

But religion on the other hand, ever since I've been a member of this forum, there has always been some sort of religious thread going on in the cafe. And I'd estimate that 90% of the time (if not more) the person who started it had never posted here before. To me this suggests that the motivation of the person starting the thread was to discuss religion and not cycling.

Once the previous religion thread dies, someone else starts a new one quickly. I see this as a form of spam, but I guess I can't complain too much, because no one is forcing me to click on it. Sometimes the thread title will be disguised to hide its intent, and I click on it anyway (as intended), but I'm free to avoid it after that.

I guess like a train wreck, I find it hard to look the other way.

But I honestly don't mean to sour the thread. If someone does that, it won't be me.

jrstevens said:
Hey Brian,

I think you are clearly missing the bigger picture here and I guess I do agree that we disagree but for reasons different than what you are stating.

The reason for my post with Bible facts stemmed from a comment Wheelist made about the Bible not being true. However it was not directed to him as an attempt on my part to convert him. Surely it would take much more than a bunch of facts about the Bible to influence someone with staunch non-believing views.

Don't know if you have noticed but there have been nearly 6500 views of this thread and only 133 posts (many by the same individuals). That tells me that there are some members just lurking. It's entirely possible some of them are on a spiritual search. So it is to those individuals that I hoped to instill confidence in the truth Bible. Sorry to disappoint you...

JS
I am not the least bit disappointed...I did not miss your point either. I am sorry James but I, much like Mr Wheelist, am not a man of faith, at least not the faith of which you speak. As far as Biblical "facts" go...you say they are facts because you believe. I say they make a wonderful story, but I do not deem them as "facts" just because The Bible says they are. And herein lies the conflict. To my mind, facts are something that can be proven without invoking something as specious as "faith." My faith lies in my upbringing, and the FACT that my parents taught me right from wrong. Now were they teaching me christian laws?...perhaps. I like to think...now...that christian laws mirror the laws of good and decent society, which are laws we cannot live without and, once again, are not the sole providence of christians.

Now...a bit off subject. I am very curious as to the type of riding you do, and what do you ride as far as bikes go? Afterall this IS a cycling forum;) .

This is my bike!:D

baj32161 said:
I am not the least bit disappointed...I did not miss your point either. I am sorry James but I, much like Mr Wheelist, am not a man of faith, at least not the faith of which you speak. As far as Biblical "facts" go...you say they are facts because you believe. I say they make a wonderful story, but I do not deem them as "facts" just because The Bible says they are. And herein lies the conflict. To my mind, facts are something that can be proven without invoking something as specious as "faith." My faith lies in my upbringing, and the FACT that my parents taught me right from wrong. Now were they teaching me christian laws?...perhaps. I like to think...now...that christian laws mirror the laws of good and decent society, which are laws we cannot live without and, once again, are not the sole providence of christians.

Now...a bit off subject. I am very curious as to the type of riding you do, and what do you ride as far as bikes go? Afterall this IS a cycling forum;) .

Fair enough. I am a roadie, race competitively in Colorado. The team I belong to is Colorado Premier Training/Colnago. see www.cpt-colnago.com

We are unique in that we have 4 regional clubs/teams (Front Range, CO, Durango/Four Corners, Ithaca, NY, and Berkeley, CA)

I ride a piece of **** Motobecane Le Champion SL. Hey it's what I can afford on my GRA salary and student loans. Actually it's better than I anticipated it being but far from a dream bike. I would like to be on a Cervelo Carbon Soloist but that will have to wait until I get a NIH KO1 award.

JS

baj32161 said:

About your bike; is a triple really necessary in your parts. How long is that stem? I ride a 130mm and people always comment on it but yours looks at least that long.

JS

jrstevens said:
About your bike; is a triple really necessary in your parts. How long is that stem? I ride a 130mm and people always comment on it but yours looks at least that long.

JS
We have a quite a few nasty hills here in Mercer Cty NJ. This is also my first road bike in many years (I am 44) so I thought a triple might be my best option. Thus far I have not regretted it. The stem on my bike is 110mm...(I am 6'1" 207lbs, 34" sleeve and 32" inseam) and the frame is a 57cm.

Here is what I ride. Actually this is the picture from when I first got it about 2 1/2 years ago. The frame is actually a different color now due to a mishap. It is a Haro Werks XLS 2.0 (2002)

I raced this past year in beginner class and got first in two of the races and 2nd place in my third race.

I do not own a road bike. Too chicken to ride with the cars.

baj32161 said:
We have a quite a few nasty hills here in Mercer Cty NJ. This is also my first road bike in many years (I am 44) so I thought a triple might be my best option. Thus far I have not regretted it. The stem on my bike is 110mm...(I am 6'1" 207lbs, 34" sleeve and 32" inseam) and the frame is a 57cm.
since you mentioned I am 5'7 1/2" 145#, 33" sleeve and 30"inseam, frame is a 52cm. I live near the foothills of Colorado (we actually have a HC climb 20 min from town, 10 miles ave grad 8%) and run a FSA SL-K compact crank 50-36 with an 11-23 cassette.

JS

Chad-GA said:
Maybe you DON'T pray enough:D !! (I kid, I kid!!). I never have ridden MTB. There was no such thing when I started riding bikes.

Great job on your results Chad:eek: .....congrats!!

Brian

baj32161 said:
There was no such thing when I started riding bikes.
What does that have to do with anything? That's funny! :D

You probably just ski the groomed slopes too, don't you? (Obviously, I am assuming you are a skier.) Anyway, I love the constant challenges that I am provided by a tight, twisty singletrack. Aside from be dangerous, I just think riding on the road would be boring.

Chad

Chad-GA said:
What does that have to do with anything? That's funny! :D

You probably just ski the groomed slopes too, don't you? (Obviously, I am assuming you are a skier.) Anyway, I love the constant challenges that I am provided by a tight, twisty singletrack. Aside from be dangerous, I just think riding on the road would be boring.

Chad
SKIIING?....Sorry to disappoint you there Chad, but I have never even touched a pair of skis. I hate snow, cold and falling:D . There are alot of riders who would disagree with you about road cycling, myself being one of them. An open country road with plenty of rolling hills...winding descents and scenery....I can't imagine how one would find that boring. I would imagine that you would find a road like that nice to drive. Same thing on a bicycle, only better...much, much better!!. Even here in New Jersey we have such roads, many a few miles from my doorstep. Its funny though, I grew up in New York and never felt unsafe on the roads. I still don't. I am, however, much more attentive than I was back then. I even wear a helmet.

Cheers,

Brian

You didn't happen to get those placings in the SERC series of races that are put on by Gone Riding did you?

Chad-GA said:
Here is what I ride. Actually this is the picture from when I first got it about 2 1/2 years ago. The frame is actually a different color now due to a mishap. It is a Haro Werks XLS 2.0 (2002)

I raced this past year in beginner class and got first in two of the races and 2nd place in my third race.

This is the simple truth as told in mountain bike terms:

THE CROSS ROAD:

You are starting out for an epic ride. At the top of the last climb you see a fence with a small locked gate. A sign reads "NO TRESSPASSING". Just beyond you see sweet SINGLE TRACK winding into the distance. 'Where does it go' you wonder.

THE CHOICE:

Just then a rider comes up the trail. Cool a local! You ask "Is that trail legal?" "Yes it is! My father owns all this land and wants me to invite all my friends to ride. Would you like to take a run at it?" He asks. "Blaze on!" you reply.

The RIDE:

The trail starts by dropping into a sweeping downhill with banked turns; then some rooty, rocky, drop-offs. "Take my line!" He yells back. He leads you down and up some of the most technical single track you have ever ridden. Through tight switchbacks, jagged rocks, over log bridges, and down slick rock. With His coaching you can't believe some of the stuff you are pulling off! He always keeps in sight so you can follow his path down the good lines.

As you wind through majestic old-growth redoods, you pass tranquil streams, hot springs, and countless ferns. The views of granite mountains flanked by deep blue lakes and valleys filled with wild flowers inspire your legs to keep spinning. "How much land does your Father own?" you ask. He just looks back and smiles.

The two of you stop at a waterfall to refill your Camlepaks. You realize it is starting to get dark. You ask, "What's the fastest way back?" Your new friend replies, "Any of the side trails will take you back to the FIRE ROAD. My father has a cabin about a mile up the trail. He keeps it stocked with supplies. You're welcome to hang out and I'll show you another cool ride tomorrow." He says.

The DECISION:

Back to the Fire Road or continue a once-in-a-lifetime ride through single track heaven? The choice is yours. Which do you choose?