Any Cycle Mechanics About ?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Albert, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. Albert

    Albert Guest

    I'm trying to find out how long ( how much ) a mechanic will take to swap out a rear derailleur and
    set it up properly.

    I read the sheldon brown instructional then remembered what a mess I made of it as a kid then did a
    time cost ability analasys and decided to get someone competent to do it instead.

    this way I can spend more time riding and have someone to blame of it all goes pearshaped half way
    up a muddy bridleway :)

    I'm guessing an hour ? £20 ish

    thanks for any closer guesses

    Albert

    summers coming .. yaaay !

    Tags:

  2. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm trying to find out how long ( how much ) a mechanic will take to swap out a rear derailleur
    > and set it up properly.
    >
    > I read the sheldon brown instructional then remembered what a mess I made of it as a kid then did
    > a time cost ability analasys and decided to get someone competent to do it instead.
    >
    > this way I can spend more time riding and have someone to blame of it all goes pearshaped half way
    > up a muddy bridleway :)
    >
    > I'm guessing an hour ? £20 ish
    >
    > thanks for any closer guesses

    It depends, with a modern bike, it shouldn't take more than a 5-10 minutes. I did it last week and
    I'm going to have to do it again as I've already broken the new derailer :eek:(

  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm trying to find out how long ( how much ) a mechanic will take to swap out a rear derailleur
    > and set it up properly.
    >
    > I read the sheldon brown instructional then remembered what a mess I made of it as a kid then did
    > a time cost ability analasys and decided to get someone competent to do it instead.
    >
    > this way I can spend more time riding and have someone to blame of it all goes pearshaped half way
    > up a muddy bridleway :)
    >
    > I'm guessing an hour ? £20 ish

    I got a new rear block, rear derailleur, chain and gripshift with cable and set the lot up quite
    easily myself. Sheldon's page was a bit impenetrable to me, so I used this one. It's very easy to
    follow and it worked for me first time. Just work through it steadily.
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml

  4. Albert

    Albert Guest

    > "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm trying to find out how long ( how much ) a mechanic will take to swap out a rear derailleur
    > > and set it up properly.
    > >
    > > I read the sheldon brown instructional then remembered what a mess I made of it as a kid then
    > > did a time cost ability analasys and decided to get someone competent to do it instead.
    > >
    > > this way I can spend more time riding and have someone to blame of it all goes pearshaped half
    > > way up a muddy bridleway :)
    > >
    > > I'm guessing an hour ? £20 ish
    > >

    > I got a new rear block, rear derailleur, chain and gripshift with cable and set the lot up quite
    > easily myself. Sheldon's page was a bit impenetrable to me, so I used this one. It's very easy to
    > follow and it worked for me first time. Just work through it steadily.
    > http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml

    thanks simon, but time, sunshine and impatience got the better of me.

    supercycles, tomorrow am, £28 all in ( mech + cable + fit & setup )

    LBS (charlies cycles) prevaricated, could do it, couldn't do it had it in stock, had to go to the
    wholesalers, could do now, it can't do it 'til tomorrow, fit you in tuesday ...

    when it *will* be raining :-(

    can't want the business, too busy in the bookies next door ?

    see you out there ... whoosh :)

    Albert

    p.s. lowest cost (online) for complete XTR setup ?

  5. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    Ok I'll bite. How did you break the new one?

    Stan Cox

    "Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > It depends, with a modern bike, it shouldn't take more than a 5-10
    minutes.
    > I did it last week and I'm going to have to do it again as I've already broken the new
    > derailer :eek:(

  6. Frank

    Frank Guest

    "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ok I'll bite. How did you break the new one?

    You were supposed to say, well you obviously didn't fit it properly ;o)

    Cycling up a hill at the end of a ride I heard some thing drop off my bike on to the road. I turned
    around saw what I though was my mobile lying in the road, I leapt off the bike put my hand up to
    stop cars running over it. The cars stopped so I tried to run into the road to retrieve it, but
    unfortunately as it had been a steep hill and my legs were mush and uncoordinated so I accidently
    tripped up kicking a pedal (in sandals) and fell full on top of my bike, nearly breaking my foot in
    the process.

    Luckilly the mobile (in reallity just a puncture repair kit) was fine :eek:( but the derailer and my
    foot are very poorly.