Any Cycle Mechanics About ?



Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Albert

Guest
I'm trying to find out how long ( how much ) a mechanic will take to swap out a rear derailleur and
set it up properly.

I read the sheldon brown instructional then remembered what a mess I made of it as a kid then did a
time cost ability analasys and decided to get someone competent to do it instead.

this way I can spend more time riding and have someone to blame of it all goes pearshaped half way
up a muddy bridleway :)

I'm guessing an hour ? £20 ish

thanks for any closer guesses

Albert

summers coming .. yaaay !
 
F

Frank

Guest
"Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm trying to find out how long ( how much ) a mechanic will take to swap out a rear derailleur
> and set it up properly.
>
> I read the sheldon brown instructional then remembered what a mess I made of it as a kid then did
> a time cost ability analasys and decided to get someone competent to do it instead.
>
> this way I can spend more time riding and have someone to blame of it all goes pearshaped half way
> up a muddy bridleway :)
>
> I'm guessing an hour ? £20 ish
>
> thanks for any closer guesses
>

It depends, with a modern bike, it shouldn't take more than a 5-10 minutes. I did it last week and
I'm going to have to do it again as I've already broken the new derailer :eek:(
 
S

Simon Mason

Guest
"Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I'm trying to find out how long ( how much ) a mechanic will take to swap out a rear derailleur
> and set it up properly.
>
> I read the sheldon brown instructional then remembered what a mess I made of it as a kid then did
> a time cost ability analasys and decided to get someone competent to do it instead.
>
> this way I can spend more time riding and have someone to blame of it all goes pearshaped half way
> up a muddy bridleway :)
>
> I'm guessing an hour ? £20 ish
>

I got a new rear block, rear derailleur, chain and gripshift with cable and set the lot up quite
easily myself. Sheldon's page was a bit impenetrable to me, so I used this one. It's very easy to
follow and it worked for me first time. Just work through it steadily.
http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
 
A

Albert

Guest
"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Albert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I'm trying to find out how long ( how much ) a mechanic will take to swap out a rear derailleur
> > and set it up properly.
> >
> > I read the sheldon brown instructional then remembered what a mess I made of it as a kid then
> > did a time cost ability analasys and decided to get someone competent to do it instead.
> >
> > this way I can spend more time riding and have someone to blame of it all goes pearshaped half
> > way up a muddy bridleway :)
> >
> > I'm guessing an hour ? £20 ish
> >
>
>
> I got a new rear block, rear derailleur, chain and gripshift with cable and set the lot up quite
> easily myself. Sheldon's page was a bit impenetrable to me, so I used this one. It's very easy to
> follow and it worked for me first time. Just work through it steadily.
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQrindx.shtml
>

thanks simon, but time, sunshine and impatience got the better of me.

supercycles, tomorrow am, £28 all in ( mech + cable + fit & setup )

LBS (charlies cycles) prevaricated, could do it, couldn't do it had it in stock, had to go to the
wholesalers, could do now, it can't do it 'til tomorrow, fit you in tuesday ...

when it *will* be raining :-(

can't want the business, too busy in the bookies next door ?

see you out there ... whoosh :)


Albert

p.s. lowest cost (online) for complete XTR setup ?
 
S

Stan Cox

Guest
Ok I'll bite. How did you break the new one?

Stan Cox

"Frank" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> It depends, with a modern bike, it shouldn't take more than a 5-10
minutes.
> I did it last week and I'm going to have to do it again as I've already broken the new
> derailer :eek:(
>
 
F

Frank

Guest
"Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ok I'll bite. How did you break the new one?
>

You were supposed to say, well you obviously didn't fit it properly ;o)

Cycling up a hill at the end of a ride I heard some thing drop off my bike on to the road. I turned
around saw what I though was my mobile lying in the road, I leapt off the bike put my hand up to
stop cars running over it. The cars stopped so I tried to run into the road to retrieve it, but
unfortunately as it had been a steep hill and my legs were mush and uncoordinated so I accidently
tripped up kicking a pedal (in sandals) and fell full on top of my bike, nearly breaking my foot in
the process.

Luckilly the mobile (in reallity just a puncture repair kit) was fine :eek:( but the derailer and my
foot are very poorly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.